PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Out 5MPH

MaxedSR
11-11-02, 10:17 AM
My Nova 1.3 SR's Speedo runs 5mph fast.

i.e. When I am going 105 it says I am doing 100.
(Not that I ever do 100)

I have white lockwood dials but am pretty sure there the right ones for the car.

I have a feeling the culprit will be the 15's I have put on to replace the old wheels but, being the idiot I am, did not think to set up the speedo reading. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the problem and If so what do I do to get it right?

Cheers Lads and lasses!
Adam

Aragorn
11-11-02, 01:45 PM
if its always out by an actual value eg 5 mph then its needle alignment

if it was the whels it would be a percentage

so at 105 it would read 100

or 52.5 it would read 50

so thats 5% out on the rolling circumference

check which it is

if its the needle then u should be able to adjust it, as for the % either remember its out or get different sized tires to bring it all back into spec

Stuart
11-11-02, 01:48 PM
just about all speedos are "out" by a certain ammount / percentage. get ovet it, its the way the world works!

MaxedSR
12-11-02, 02:53 PM
Cambridge, whats your problem? I am not complaining just wondered if there was a simple cure for it. No need to get arsey about it!

Cheers Aragorn!

carltoncrazy
12-11-02, 06:35 PM
jus ignore him his full of himself m8.
nova speedos aint known for being bang on,my old carlton gsi digi dash was awlful.
if youve taken the needle off make sure you put it back on properly
if its out 5mph all the time,when ya at a stand still see if the speedo reads 5 mph,if it does,jus move the needle

Manta Mad
12-11-02, 07:47 PM
I remember Motor Magazine road tests used to test how accurate a cars speedo was. I don't have the one on the Nova to hand but they found that a Carlton speedo was reading 108mph the actual speed was 100mph. Even at a true 70mph, the speedo was reading 76mph. The Astra was very similar :lol:

carltoncrazy
12-11-02, 09:18 PM
vauxhall build quailty,you cant beat it :lol: :lol: