PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED BADLY

rightfulnokia
11-11-02, 10:14 AM
Help!!

I have a bog standard 1.0 Trip and need to do some work to it BADLY
1st problem is I have no job no I need to do it for as little cash as pos
2nd prob is that my insurance is already ?941 THIRD PARTY (im 17 and aint passed)

1. The doors need de-rusting - any help on how to go about it?
2. I want a rear spoiler but need one as cheap as poss as mentioned and how do I go about fixing it on?
3. Whats the cheapest place on the net for ICE?

Please Help, if you can I would be very grateful and anyone who does I will give em big list of codes for programs, pm for detail

Lee

Cheers

jim sri
11-11-02, 01:21 PM
personally i would wait until you can afford to go out&buy something with a bit more poke in it-eg 13sr are fairly rapid as standard.
or if you wana mod it,id get the doors done-if its just the skins that are buggered get them reskinned,if the actual door has rusted badly just as easy to get new doors(same colour if poss,cos if you av2get em resprayed itl be cheaper cos the painter wont have to do the inside edges if you c what i mean?).
then id get it lowered, either 40 or 60mm-get these bits cheap second-hand from ebay.co.uk or adtrader.co.uk-tedious sumtimes,but just keep looking,theres some real cheap bits out there if you look hard enough.
after that try and pick up a cheap set of alloys if your budget is limited, (15" tigra alloys suit a nova well+need no arch mods-search intanet for vaux spares or vaux breaking), and should be fine with the car lowered too.
then upgrade front brakes to sumthing like corsa GSI vented discs+corsa gsi ATE calipers(nova calipers are rubbish&always seize,cost bout ?60 from www.vpsc.co.uk((good prices on sum bits,but dear on others-get prices elsewhere too&c if he'l match other places prices)).
and then youd be virtually setup to drop a slightly bigger engine in in a year or two once your insurance lowers a bit.
theres no rush in it though mate,just take the time&do the subtle mods.
:)

ZuG
11-11-02, 02:16 PM
a 17yr old might have a few probs getting insured on a SR.

rightfulnokia
11-11-02, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will get as much work done on it as poss but as I say my insurance is ?941 as it is and dont want it any higher, I wont bother getting it lowered for a long while(it would get knicked round here if it looked remotely good)

?Marty?
11-11-02, 03:00 PM
Get a job. Period.

Sure i don't know your circumstances, but anyone can fit in a part-time job in their schedule and it's a piece of piss getting one. Aspecially when it's around X-mas.

wisewood
11-11-02, 03:16 PM
Marty - I couldn't fit in a part time job... I work 12 hours a day at the moment, and am doing loads of web design work... so no way i could fit a part time job into my schedule... Althoguh the extra 4.50 an hour would be useful.

MattyWoo
11-11-02, 03:35 PM
Depends how bad the rust is on your doors mate, cos mine is jsut a little brown on the inside, surface rust like. On the other hand Half my mates door is rust. Ave you got any pictures of where its rusty??

jim sri
11-11-02, 03:39 PM
i have loadsa scummers round here that will nick anything too. just get yourself a decent alarm&park it in well lit areas at nite, locking wheel nuts,detach the face panel from ur stereo when you leave it ANYWHERE,stealth shelf for the speakers too,and dont leave nefin valuable on display-simple stuff really,but it has been known here for people to break into cars wiv just loose change on display on dash!can also rig yourself up a diy immobiliser too.i also got one of them krookloks aswell as the alarm.it just deters joyriders really cos they the only that r most likely to nick a nova,just for the hell of it or just as a lift home.
dont do any expensive mods before ur sure the car is safe.

Chris LR
11-11-02, 03:58 PM
is a 17 year old with fully comp on a 1.4 SR!

I picked up a mint door for ?20 which doesn't happen everyday, If you hire the tool for about ?10 you can swap them yourself, as long as miss matching panels don't bother you. If you can't afford doors tape over the rush so theres no sharp edges, that'll get you through the MOT. The front corner of my door was missing.

SR Spoilers are about ?80 new and about ?30-40 seconds hand, but a b*st*ard to fit!

Try cash converters etc for ICE.

Who's your insurance company?

?Marty?
11-11-02, 05:36 PM
Wisewood - well you're already earning dough then and don't need one. But when people say that they have no money, they're obviously not working enough. i.e. full-time students, and people who say that having no job is a problem. Solve it and you won't have problems two and three.

Oh and i worked for 14 hours last night (as a do at least once a week). Without a break. (not even legal!).