PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 8v engine in a Nova

D7AKE
09-11-02, 06:21 PM
Will it drop straight in?

Simon :wink:

Dan
09-11-02, 08:16 PM
Nope, 1.8 8v is a big block, same as 2.0 and 2.0 16v, with the work involved u just aswell stick one of the others in, also thorny fitted one to the black nova thats parked by the church on v/hill. he wasnt to impressed by the conversion as wasnt enough oomph, i think he was hoping to give me a run for my money but realised after he still had no chance lmao

Dicko
09-11-02, 09:49 PM
worst engine id say!!!!
lots of effort for not so much power

you would be far better off putting a 1.6 8v in and spending ?200 tuning it, or if you wanna ditch injection get 40's!!

jon_boy
11-11-02, 10:52 AM
my mate stu apparently found a 1.8 enigine in a scrappy with twin weber 48's (!!!!!????!!) attatched for my other friend mark. now stu does bullshit frequently, do twin 48's even exist? and would the work involoved putting them on a 1.8 engine rule out the possibility sum 1 wouldve scrapped the working engine? liar, the boys a liar. and no he didnt ut the engine in.

brian
11-11-02, 07:09 PM
def not worth the work involved. as dan said it's a big block engine and requires the same work as the 2L 16v. i fitted one in a Nova last year and ran into wiring problems and ended up fitting the astra loom and matching up the nova plugs etc to get it done quicker. im sure they're not supposed to be that akward!! fitted 2l 16v and 1.6 16v in two days each and 1.6 8v in a day so choose another option!! then again you might want to fit the 1.8 anyway and it might cause you no hassle! :|

apples
11-11-02, 11:17 PM
i have an 1.8i in from a cav in mine. exact same work for all the big block enignes. admittidly its not as fast as the others but its still quick none the less, its not as common either.

ade
11-11-02, 11:35 PM
this is partially unrelated but isnt the new corse sri (the top sporty one) a 1.8 16v?

Will that drop in instead?

Getting hold of one might be a little tricky though (second hand that is).

Ade
:?

mowgli
12-11-02, 12:37 AM
I'm going to defend the original statement, I had to have the bonnet up on the sister in laws last victim's (ex boyfriend) car, a g reg carlton estate 1.8i. It looked a dead ringer for my 1600 GTE lump. It was definitely a small block engine and had an (outwardly) identical injection system. I have also seen the same lump fitted into Caterham racers with twin carbs fitted.

I would imagine that a carlton lump would have a different sump & oil pickup.

brian
12-11-02, 06:34 PM
forgot to mention the reason i had the wiring problems is because the engine was out of an astra gte. they're not the same as cav 1.8i etc.