PDA

View Full Version : would you buy this car...

Ben
05-11-08, 12:27 AM
Just bored and flicking through ebay, wont bore you with the link just the important bits...

This car was Cat C damaged in 2007 and had the 2 passenger side doors and a cill replaced. I bought the car about a year ago repaired for £6500. On buying the car it was obviously not repaired quite right. I had the rear subframe changed and a full 4 wheel alignment at a cost of £1500. The car has drove 100% since then. The colour match on the rear passenger door is ok, but if you get the right reflection on a sunny day you can see the reflection is slightly dulled. Also, this door needs a harder push to shut than the rest, but its nothing that an adjustment wouldnt sort.
Has recently had new tyres all round, and has full service history. (local garage from 30k onwards) Also, just to show how good I think the car is I have just had it serviced last week and a MOT put on it even though its not 3 years old until the end of December. (no problems what soever) You wont have to spend a penny for a while on this car!!
I have also put a Venom tuning box on this car and have run it for about 25 thousand miles!! If you drive really really gently you can get 60-65 MPG!!! I always drove it fairly hard (nothing over 70 your honour lol) and I always got 48-52MPG with no fuss depending what fuel your using. (that supermarket crap is a waste of time) Also, it is supposed to be running around 160BHP so is a little quicker!! Most of all, it pulls well in 6th for overtaking which they dont do as standard. This tuning box cost nearly £400 and you can see the details by googling 'Venom tuning box'. Top speed (where permissable of course) is more than the book figures! (allegedly)

mowgli
05-11-08, 12:31 AM
i feel the need to ask you, is he actually trying to sell this car, or just put people off?????

its been in a crash, badly fixed, chipped & then thrashed.....

it's not really a car that sells itself. what is it, vw group?

Ben
05-11-08, 12:36 AM
Ford mondeo TDCi

Yeah ok i understand the tell the truth part and say its been damaged repaired fair enough, dont tell people its bodged and you spent £1500 fixing it again and the door still dosent shut right!!! And FFS unplug the tuning box and sale it to me!

Ben
05-11-08, 12:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140279336786&Category=9844null&_trksid=p3907.m29

mowgli
05-11-08, 12:47 AM
I just read the rest

'it is covered in scratches & I pulled the jesus handle off'

he had a bid at 3200, but is holding out for more. I don't think he is a dealer

Ben
05-11-08, 12:48 AM
and the interior is grubby as its a works car, one word VALETER!

Yes i think we can safely say he i not a dealer. possibly in drugs and taken too many.

Welsh Dan
05-11-08, 01:24 AM
The tuning boxes are pants on those engines, a decat and a remap however...

Its a shame there's no engine bay pics, if its a euro 3 then you can just blank off the vaccuum trigger for the EGR valve.

I've got one of the same year and similar mileage but mines the basic LX. I'd definately have another as a daily driver.

Ben
05-11-08, 01:27 AM
Ive got a TDCi 130 Zetec and think its a great barge, pulls very well for what it is.

Does the Decat make much difference? I just want a tuning box as im bored and will give me something to do lol

C14se
05-11-08, 01:29 AM
Yes i think we can safely say he i not a dealer. possibly in drugs and taken too many.

lol ya a lot to many

Welsh Dan
05-11-08, 01:34 AM
Apparently the decat does make it pull more smoothly and a bit harder. Over on fordmondeo.org superchips bluefin seems to be the favoured tuning 'box'. It plugs in and uploads a remap. There was recently a RR day at superchips to provide some revised maps.

Someone recently RR'ed a standard TDCI 130 and got around 139bhp, but they couldn't get a reading with the decat because they sheared one of the bolts. clicky (http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/789647/)

I haven't got a decat on mine. I swapped the ford6000cd unit for the sony mp3 headunit but otherwise it'll stay standard.

Ben
05-11-08, 01:37 AM
I have read that the 6000 to the sony swap is a nightmare as you have to change the whole center dash console bit is that true or just people being anal.

Welsh Dan
05-11-08, 01:48 AM
It is true, but its not that bad. Took me about 40 minutes. Needed a 'normal' philips screwdriver, 1/4" ratchet, some tiny screwdrivers for prising and some scalpels, also for prising.

Take the kick panels out of the footwells, 1 screw each then pull. Pull the plastic inner (wood/silver_gear gaiter trim upwards then remove all of the screws you see, then pull the forwardmost bit of the center console out, undo all the screws you see. Pull the boot release switch out and unscrew the cup holder to pull it out. Remove the head unit, there's a few screws concealed by it. Prise out the section with the clock, heated screen and hazard switches on then undo the screws behind them. The console should now pull out from the bottom. Undo the screws holding the climate control to it and its free.

http://www.xen0phobiak.co.uk/mondeo/console1.jpg
http://www.xen0phobiak.co.uk/mondeo/console2.jpg
http://www.xen0phobiak.co.uk/mondeo/console3.jpg

Refit in reverse.

Welsh Dan
05-11-08, 01:51 AM
Sony unit+console top, ford one on bottom:
http://www.xen0phobiak.co.uk/mondeo/sonyvsford.jpg

Note how the sony one 'hangs' further down unto the dash.

Ben
05-11-08, 02:01 AM
Thanks for that, will try and find one now lol

brainsnova
05-11-08, 02:01 AM
4 new tires makes me think the car is twisted in some way along with the door needing an extra push. avoid.

Welsh Dan
05-11-08, 01:18 PM
You're welcome Ben, unless you want the OE look though its probably easier to buy a single DIN fascia adapter and a quadlock to ISO harness with the steering wheel controls.

Ben
05-11-08, 01:35 PM
TBH the car is just a stop gap until something nice comes up so not wanting to do much to it, it will be sold within 12 months, just get bored lol