PDA

View Full Version : Vectra brakes

Jack
04-11-08, 11:33 AM
The works barge (54 plate auto 1.9 derbo) has a sticking brake on the NSF - clunking and getting tres hot. I can't get the wheel off to have a look (some cockmaster took the brace and jack out the back) but is it likely to just be a seized caliper? I did notice they look awful close to the edge of the disc, but couldn't see how much pad was left on there. The car has been driven to Gutersloh and back in Germany last week, then sat until today in park and with the handbrake on.

Also, with the engine running, when I apply presusre to the brake pedal, it goes down, resists at the usual point, but I can then progressively push it further (couldn't tell if it was full pedal travel, but certainly a lot more than usual). I did notice a hissing noise when I did this, although not sure if thats just the servo working. When i release the pedal, press it again straight away and its rock solid - release again, press again and its loosened up. Not normal, surely...?

[edit] and yes, one of the dappy women in the office was going to drive off in the car until the gate guard stopped her saying there was smoke coming off the wheel :roll: lol

brainsnova
04-11-08, 12:14 PM
maybe as the caliper is seized on the pressure isnt being realeased as it should and i blame you for wrecking it lol

craig green
04-11-08, 12:25 PM
I've seen the wrong pads fitted by dealers on fleet cars before.

Is the pad retaining spring on properly? (as per my problems)