PDA

View Full Version : cam advice

billewizz
03-11-08, 07:56 PM
any advice on a cam for a 14 8v matched and ported head 4 into 1 40 webers has had a kent one in but the end where the id is is damaged. fast road track day sort of use.

adam c
03-11-08, 08:48 PM
people normally use the kent ast2 cam.thats what mine has in and i think it has a very good range of power i.e not all at the top end

Stuart
03-11-08, 09:16 PM
either a kent AST2 or Piper BP300... or if you feel fruity try a newman or catcams equivalent spec

philip
03-11-08, 10:18 PM
bp 300 on that spec will be a bit too peaky tbh, need detailed spec of the motor please

Stuart
03-11-08, 10:19 PM
go on, say it... I know you want to... gowaaaaaaaaaaan bitch about the idle on the BP300, I dare ya

MC
03-11-08, 10:21 PM
I dare you too.

crackaway-jack
10-11-08, 10:47 PM
could u remember how much u paid for the ast2 cam, quite fancy one myself cos every1s usin them. whats the powerband on them?

Stuart
11-11-08, 08:33 AM
bin the text typing.

the "powerband" thing is a load of BS imho, as cams dont 'kick in' like everyone claims, if the engine is setup right etc.

philip
11-11-08, 09:33 AM
wtf? i couldnt give a **** about the idle you'd get it to idle off the carbs. but if he runs a bp300 it may not come on cam til 3.5k-4k, and if using it on the road he might find it a bit of a pain.(dont mean kick in, just be abit gut less at low revs)

im running full race newman cams in my 20xe. so im not gona bitch about it having to idle a bit higher.

but i only asked for rest of the spec, just if stock bottom end with arp's, and wanting it still abit reliable i would want a cam that peaks about 7-7.5k tops and makes the car very driveable from moment foots put down.

the powerband thing isnt going to be bull****, what are your reasons for thinking they are? it would be like a stock XE against a highly tuned xe, i bet from a standing start the stock XE would leave the tuned one, until that could get the revs up to go. i know plenty of lads who have had 260-270bhp xes and had to detune them because they couldnt pull ya foreskin back under 4/5k!

Stuart
11-11-08, 10:36 AM
you somewhat missed the point... Most people think that because a cams powerband claims are say 5K-8K then they expect a "V-Tech YO" kick at 5K... which simply isnt the case in reality.

yes the engine will be a shade gutless at lower engine speeds, but its not like a road going nova with a 1.4 engine is going to miss much of its minimal low down "grunt" is it lol. A race engine, yes you will want to tune for where you use it but most 8V nova engines can be cammed upto the eyeballs and they still pull nicely from way down low.... eg Dans old 1.6 8V with an AST2 would pull in 5th from 2K to the limiter, and Jims 1.6 8V with a BP300 would do pretty much the same, oh noes.

tbh I think your "mates" with their 250+bhp XE's need to look at their gearboxes if they are having pulling problems ;)

philip
11-11-08, 11:17 AM
tbh I think your "mates" with their 250+bhp XE's need to look at their gearboxes if they are having pulling problems

the xes are in rally cars, and when my mate detuned his(212@wheels) he was wiping the floor with the 260/270+ motors, as he had the low down grunt. which proved to be better as he won the championships last year with it. then wiped the floor at croft(rally x) last weekend after killing 5th gear, then changing to his 4spd box and killing 4th.(both quaife straight cuts)lol

anyway back to the lads threadlol id want to know full spec anyway. just if hes keeping the stock rods/pistons, id want something that worked well to about 7.5k, after that id want rods atleast so can rev it and it lasts.

crackaway-jack
11-11-08, 11:12 PM
yeah aaaaanyway eh!
lol, its the gte engine ive got and its my daily driver.
7-7.5k is about the max id be lookin 4 so the best cam would be??

Stuart
12-11-08, 08:31 AM
if its on STD management and intake (no a K&N isnt an intake mod :p) then you wont want much above a 270deg duration cam otherwise its gonna be a sack of turd as you cant adjust the ign/fuelling to suit the better cam.

Look at the Kent NVO range and hit somewhere in the middle of lairyness

philip
12-11-08, 12:41 PM
newman do a fast road cam i think peaks @6.5k, £135 from a blank, still uses hydraulic followers, and would work well with the 40's;)

pob
12-11-08, 01:39 PM
Dont sacrifice mid range torque for a top end power figure just so that you can say you have a 5 extra hp on you max hp figure down the pub.

For a daily drive putting a huge bulge in you peak torque will be faster away from the lights than a peaky cam that only works on full throttle.

I had a mini that peaked at 109bhp at 7000+, (310)but had to be revved between gear changes and braking at lights meant foot on the brake and revving with my ankle.

I took it out and put in a 276 which brough peak power down to 101bhp but put peak torque up by 15lb ft at 3500.
The car was far faster away from the lights and for overtaking.
(and it didn't break as many engine/exhaust mounts)

Do I sound too old and sensible?