PDA

View Full Version : Flat Wiper Blades. Opinions

AlexW
02-11-08, 11:36 PM
Whats your opinion on flat wiper blades?

My mum has them fitted to her clio and cant speak higher of them, but ive heard mixed reviews too. Im thinking of getting them for the nova too as mine are on the way out and the price il pay for some standard ones i could save and buy some cheap flat blade ones (my mum only has cheapo ones)

Discuss.

CoupeUK
02-11-08, 11:41 PM
You have to save for flat wipers?

Pistol Pete
02-11-08, 11:43 PM
lol there wiper blades!! As long as they clear the water who gives two ****s what they look like??!!

Asa-James
02-11-08, 11:45 PM
i found them much better for clearing on the golf, but i'm told they need replacing more often. then again, if you buy a decent set of normal blades they all do the same job

and on buying cheap ones, dont forget you get what you pay for

Stuart
03-11-08, 08:23 AM
I used a vauxhall "flat blade" on the VX and found it was excellent (but did wear out fast). I cant see any real gain for the Nova as the bit of the screen you "wipe" isnt heavily curved so a normal blade will do the job.

Shaun_O'Donnell
03-11-08, 08:33 AM
Rain-X gets my vote.

Dar
03-11-08, 08:37 AM
I use the flat blade wipers on all my cars and I love them. I will not go back to the normal type of wiper.

Jack
03-11-08, 08:52 AM
lol there wiper blades!! As long as they clear the water who gives two ****s what they look like??!!
They're not made for looks, they're made for functionality.

Only experience I had was in a 306 with them, and tbh they were no better than standard blades.

craig green
03-11-08, 12:43 PM
I've got cheapo ebay ones on my Nova.

Work fine, supposedly less prone to lift due to their shape. I'll be trying some branded ones next time.

loggyboy
03-11-08, 12:48 PM
I have cheapo 'fusion' flat ones on the XE they are 'OK'.

I have genuine Bosch Aerotwin retrofits on the Lexus, which are excellent, had them a nearly a year and still as good as they were new.

They are better than normal ones at high speeds, they dont skip over the screen, and unlike spoiler'ed wipers, they tend not to be quite so suseptable wind pushing them up quick and then struggling to get back down under the load.

You would probly struggle to find Bosch ones to fit the nova unless you can find someone selling them individually, as most come in sets for modern cars with large drivers and small passenger sides. PS you can fit 18s on the driver side and 16s on the passenger side on the nova with no problems.

chris gsi
03-11-08, 08:31 PM
i use the vauxhall retro fit flat blade ones on the vec and lots of rain-x so don't have to use them that much

Mike
03-11-08, 08:41 PM
I use some silly expensive Bosch ones on the Novargh, used them for around 16month till the car was SORN'd and they were faultless, there still perfect now.

Sturge
03-11-08, 08:49 PM
Just to upset the applecart I like PIAA silicone standard style wipers lol

Spudly
03-11-08, 08:51 PM
Go faster in the rain and you wont need wipers as the wind resistance drives the rain off your screen:thumb:

I use gen ones on my cav as my mate works in a vaux parts dealer, both gen blades with the GM deflector things on them for a cav GSi = £6 lol

Jay
03-11-08, 08:59 PM
I ordered some today from the Bay, will let you know what there like, ill add pics when there fitted.

Jay.

Novaload_Nick
03-11-08, 09:34 PM
mine flap around at about 70

Nova_Tek
03-11-08, 09:52 PM
I like them and will deffo give them a go on the Nova. They do hold the windscreen better, look a lot slimmer in shape and because they apply pressure on the whole blade they do wipe better but I think they arent very good for getting crap off the windscreen compared to normal blades. Think them flat blades and Rain X will be a good combination.

Currently have them on the 2006 polo I drive, factory standard, and they are very nice. Still original items and they still perform well.

I currently have Bosch super blades with spoiler 18'' on both arms on the Nova. Just about fit with about 4mm gap :D

loggyboy
04-11-08, 09:18 AM
Just to upset the applecart I like PIAA silicone standard style wipers lol

Ive heard great things about them on the lexus forums. Lots of $$$ though.

phazer
04-11-08, 09:36 AM
Standard fit to newer vaux's. Have them on the VXR and are the best wipers I've ever had by far.

Not the most exciting topic but meh, motorway driving needs decent wipers.