PDA

View Full Version : mk1 astra gte engine

nova-lyf
02-11-08, 02:02 PM
does anyone know if to fit an astra mk1 gte 1800 engine if you need to use 2ltr 8v conversion kit i suppose what i am askin is is the 1.8 a big block or a small block engine?
cheers:thumb:

Sloth
02-11-08, 02:06 PM
big block motor bud goes in same as any other. but a few people have put them onto f13's etc corsa nova tuning . nl have a guide

loggyboy
02-11-08, 03:59 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but is the 1.8 mk1 gte lump about 100-110 brake? in which case why go to all the trouble of fitting a big block when you could do a straight swap for a 1.6 gte engine? and put the saved money (shafts,mout kits etc) to tuning the 1.6? would also be less weight.

pug-boy1
02-11-08, 08:39 PM
there 115bhp so i would put a c16xe in m8!!! more tunin available!!!

nova-lyf
03-11-08, 12:54 AM
yeah i know what your sayin but been there done that but want to do somethig different is there more info around on using an f13 box?

Welsh Dan
03-11-08, 01:40 AM
The F13 is the standard Nova SR/GTE/GSI gearbox, using it would mean you can use standard driveshafts.

Steve
03-11-08, 01:56 AM
there 115bhp so i would put a c16xe in m8!!! more tunin available!!!
Actually you'd be surprised at how well these engines respond to tuning, obviously the 16vs always make more power but it depends how far you want to take it.

nova-lyf
03-11-08, 02:01 PM
well the engine is going in my nova van which is satin black very low with bright orange deep dish steelies ( not banded either) so wanted to do something different. so in theory using the f13 the engine should go straight in? also can i use things like 20l 8v exhaust manifol and alternator as i have these lying around but the engine does not have them?
cheers for all your help guys

Steve
03-11-08, 03:06 PM
Might be able to use the alternator but I asked on mk2cav.com about manifolds and I know you cant use a cav 1.8 sri on a 2.0 8v so I would have thought it wont work the other way around.

Try mk1oc.com for a manifold

loggyboy
03-11-08, 03:45 PM
so in theory using the f13 the engine should go straight in?

No, chassis leg would still need modifying, engine mount would still need to be done (lower existing chassis mount OR custom mount kit), and the gear box would still need the 10mm spacer kit, as its the position of the engine that dictates this, not the gear box itself. The only thing you woudnt need to do is mess around with 22 spline shafts/mk2 cav inner cvs OR custom shafts etc.
Then theres the changes need to get the f13 to mate with the big block.

nova-lyf
03-11-08, 11:37 PM
ah ok so what do i need to change for it to mate up?

loggyboy
04-11-08, 09:23 AM
Swap fly wheels and get it the stud holes redrilled IIRC. Im sure there are other ways though.
Dan-F has some info in his WIP here http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106167

Dod
04-11-08, 09:58 AM
I say sell the 18e and buy an XE. Smae effort to make it fit and you'd be giveing someone a chance to get a rare 18e for a mk1 Astra Resto.

craig green
04-11-08, 12:27 PM
Nice engines the 18E, good flowing head & the twin butterfly inlet.

I always wanted one in a Nova.

nova-lyf
06-11-08, 02:40 AM
xes are really starting to bore more every one has been there done that as i have too many times, you look under the bonnet and see the infamous 'L' and everyone knows what it is, where as you see a different looking engin with say some dirty great carbs hanging off it and thats when people will be interested plus i want this car to handle at fast cornering speed for not too much money but with an xe yeah it would go round a corner fast then try to put you in a ditch upon exiting, i have found over recent years that the mk 1 gte engine is a bit of a mithical engine good strong power light and fairly durable. i appriciate all your oppinions but like i said something different this time as the nova itself isnt your typical nova. anyhoo its sounding to me that using a big block conversion kit might be the easiest way to go so im going to get on the phone to my mate at lmf and see what mtec can do for me
cheers

loggyboy
06-11-08, 10:46 AM
xes are really starting to bore more every one has been there done that as i have too many times, you look under the bonnet and see the infamous 'L' and everyone knows what it is, where as you see a different looking engin with say some dirty great carbs hanging off it and thats when people will be interested plus i want this car to handle at fast cornering speed for not too much money but with an xe yeah it would go round a corner fast then try to put you in a ditch upon exiting, i have found over recent years that the mk 1 gte engine is a bit of a mithical engine good strong power light and fairly durable. i appriciate all your oppinions but like i said something different this time as the nova itself isnt your typical nova. anyhoo its sounding to me that using a big block conversion kit might be the easiest way to go so im going to get on the phone to my mate at lmf and see what mtec can do for me
cheers

Ive had this mentioned before... 'XEs are old and everyones done it' and within vauxhall/Nova (And to some extent all car) enthusiast circles it is partially true. However OUTSIDE that loop, which is probabaly 95+% of the population, people are still amazed that the XE can go in a Nova. When I had my old Red Merit 150 on the Basingstoke Motor Club stand at the local car show, I was suprised by the amount of people who came up to me and asked how on earth it fitted, and that they had that engine in their Cav/Cal/Astra and never thought it would go in a little Nova.
Yes when you go to PVS you can bet your bottom dollar that if you pop the bonnet of a nova, 4 out of 5 times it will be redtop, but thats like going to a KKK meeting and being surprsied how many racist are there.

Just because its old hat to you, doesnt mean its old hat.

craig green
06-11-08, 10:50 AM
Everyone generates the spec of their cars for their own reasons.

Personally after having a Cav GSi, Astra GTE 16vs & driven a couple XE Nova's, I just think the engine is far better suited to the Astra & Cav.

There was an 1800E Nova in the MAX Power grouip thrash years ago that posted better times than all the SFi XE's in the wet at Santa Pod. Only Carb'd & turbo'd engines posted quicker times.

loggyboy
06-11-08, 11:11 AM
I would never trust group thrash results unless it was all the same driver. Besides what was the spec of the 1.8?