PDA

View Full Version : 1.2spi NO SPARK??

nova ian
02-11-08, 12:43 AM
Done an engine swap on my nova 1.2spi today. Basically I got another 1.2 engine, but it was a carb engine, so dropped my engine out the car and swapped the inlet over to run it as spi so I didnt have to mess around with fuel tanks and changing any wiring etc. Also put the Spi dizzy setup on as it has a hall sensor for the ecu and carb engines dizzy didnt.

Got the new engine in and all wired up and plumbed in and turned it over but we have no spark.

There is an initial spark from the coil to king lead when the ignition is switched on, but when you actually turn the engine over theres nothing what so ever, we've checked all fuses and relays, its getting fuel, everythings working as it should apart from the lack of spark

Also on the dash I have a red light on ((!)) next to the ((p)) for handbrake. Is this similar to the engine/ecu fault light? just can't remember seeing it before?!

We've tried another coil and amplifier and no joy, only thing we can think of is the hall sensor on the dizzy is fooked and its not telling the ecu to send a spark, seems strange though as we drove the car to the garage and havn't chopped or changed any wiring, just unplugged and plugged it back in again!:confused:

were totally stumped?!

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Ian:thumb:

brainsnova
02-11-08, 02:46 AM
is the engine and box earthed to the shell.

nova ian
02-11-08, 09:24 AM
Yea should be as we left the box in place, and just swapped the engine.

Will have a double check, but dont think its is that

Cheers for the idea:thumb:

AlexW
02-11-08, 10:26 AM
The ! light is (iirc) brake fluid warning? or similar.

I have to agree with you though, the hall sensor seems to be the most obvious. Im presuming you replaced the dizzy cap and/or rotor.

nova ian
02-11-08, 11:45 AM
I havent replaced the dizzy cap or rotor as I dont have one, will try that if nothing else is found, however I cant see it being that at fault as a few hours previous it worked! it had just been unplugged and swapped onto the new engine and wired up again.

Someone has mentioned something about a switch to the coil; a dead mans switch and said to disconnect this and try it again, but Ive never even heard of one of them! The coil pack has one plug to it and a coil pack amplifer underneath has one plug to it, so dont know where there is a switch there?!

Adam
02-11-08, 12:38 PM
Check the plug to the dizzy, if thats sound it sounds like the dizzy itself is fooked. I had a few similar problems, which turned out to be dizzy/coil related.

Is the ecu light on with ign???

Also, how are you driving the dizzy? Seeing as it wont fit the 1.2 carb cam.....

nova ian
02-11-08, 12:57 PM
Adam, the spi dizzy does fit the carb cam, it has both the keylock slots for the carb dizzy and the peg slot for the spi dizzy, and its sitting in the correct place as in all the leads are in the right place according to the haynes manual and it spins the correct way. You cant get it in wrong as the peg has to complete 360 degrees so the firing order will always be the same.its not like you can get it in back to front.

what does the ecu light look like? is it an engine light?

Cheers for the info Ads:thumb:

Adam
02-11-08, 01:16 PM
So the rotor arm is definently rotating when you turn the engine over? Sound if so

ecu light is in the middle of the clocks, orange light, at the bottom.

So basically all youve done is swapped the engine for a 1.2 carb one, but refitted all the spi stuff?
Check the earths are on the cam housing by where the mechnical fuel pump goes.

nova ian
02-11-08, 01:31 PM
yep rotor arm spins freely when you turn the engine over.

Good point on earth where the mechanical fuel pump was, will have a look there as we blanked the hole off with a piece of plate so we could have disturbed it or not secured the earth properly, worth a check, although the fact were getting an initial spark on turning the ignition on suggests there is an earth, but as said will triple check that!!

and as for ecu light/engine light, no it is not on the dash when the ingnition is on or whilst turning the car over which is a good thing then.

As you said Ad, all we have done is fit the carb engine, but with all the spi stuff attached and mechanical fuel pump removed. We even swapped te exhaust manifold over as the spi one had a lamba sensor

Cheers Adam, I'm hoping it is something simple like that earth, but if not its deffo a strange one to solve!!

Adam
02-11-08, 01:39 PM
If the ecu light isn't coming on with the ignition then your not getting power to the ecu for one reason for another..... Or the bulb is blown, has it ever lit up before you swapped the engine?

It could definently be an earth problem.

nova ian
02-11-08, 01:51 PM
errrm good question re the ecu light?! I cant remember! lol

Off to have a nosey at it now, so will let you know how i get on

cheers adam

nova ian
06-11-08, 12:42 PM
Sorted this now, Was the hall sensor that was fooked.

The pulse earth wire on the sensor was not sending a single to the ECU/Coil, hence no spark!

Got another dizzy from the scrappy and had it running. Needs the ignition timing refining as it was slightly retarded, but idled very smooth indeed! Loads better than the previous lump that was in that was very rough on idle and popped an banged and down on compression.

Cheers for the help guys, and thanks to CountVauxAlot for the engine:thumb:

1.6 8v turbo nova
06-11-08, 01:54 PM
That's exactly the same problem i had with mine.. Execpt it took me 2 months to find it lol!