PDA

View Full Version : Engine not pulling well

Steve
01-11-08, 05:13 PM
Basically I had a leaky rocker gasket so changed it and de-greased the engine as there was alot of oil dripping onto the exhaust etc. since then it was misfiring which soon cleared but now whenever the engine is under load is struggles to accelerate. i.e you puts your foot down and it struggles to accelerate and judders.

This has now got worse and it hardly picks up at all. It idles fine and revs up fine whilst idling. The other thing is, me being an idiot and not checking the oil hasnt helped, I checked it today after getting back from a 300 mile journey and it ws between min and empty! topped it back up but still drives the same.

As ernie has suggested it may have got water in the dizzy cap so im going to give that a clean and take it from there. ive tried diffrent leads but that hasnt really helped. Any other ideas?

meritlover
01-11-08, 05:19 PM
is it miss-firing?

Steve
01-11-08, 05:20 PM
It was after the plugs got wet but not now. it revs freely on idle..

meritlover
01-11-08, 05:22 PM
but does it miss under load?

Steve
01-11-08, 05:25 PM
No it just struggles to accelerate

*Dave*
01-11-08, 05:42 PM
scrap it lol!!

chuck a valver in there.

my 1.6 8v would beat it anyway as yours was only runnin 110bhp when was runnin right lol

AlexW
01-11-08, 05:50 PM
Did any of the sensors get wet?

Steve
01-11-08, 05:51 PM
whatever dave, not really in a good mood today so either write something constructive or stfu

Steve
01-11-08, 05:53 PM
Did any of the sensors get wet?
Thats a possibility mate, I pressure washed it so theres a good chance they got wet.

Although it wasnt too bad to begin with, it just got alot worse yesterday coming back from swindon.

AlexW
01-11-08, 05:56 PM
Hmmm. Just pull out all the sensors that could have got wet and give them a good old clean. Although, Just to check is it running on 4 cylinders? I surpose its hard to tell when it only does it while driving.

Steve
01-11-08, 05:58 PM
Yeah on tick over it seems normal, it only struggles when you're actually driving along.

mowgli
01-11-08, 10:47 PM
have you cleaned the breathers out?? if there is excessive crankcase pressure, the engine runs rough & it leaks oil a lot

Ernie
02-11-08, 07:55 AM
It mite be from the new rocker cover as the breather on a 2ltr 8v is in the square bit on top.
These are still avalible from halfrauds off the shelf.
You may need to fit a new rocker cover gasket at the same time tho.
Just an idear Steve.
It mite of been from carrying all that stuff back home from mine lol.

Steve
02-11-08, 05:55 PM
Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself! before setting off for ernies on friday ive filled it to the brim with tesco super unleaded. Got back and it was on empty so stuck some regular unleaded in it and now its fine!

Got some new plugs for it anyway as god knows how old the others are, so it should be running a bit better once I fit them.

AlexW
02-11-08, 06:03 PM
lol Super fuel FTL

Walshie_Loon
02-11-08, 09:45 PM
I had the same problem afew weeks ago, My 1.2 struggled & had now power. I tried everything then checked the timing & noticed the cambelt had jumped a tooth. maybe worth a look.

ade
02-11-08, 09:59 PM
my SR's similar - pinks when under load - timing was done recently too...
It's also drinking fuel like it's fecking free!