PDA

View Full Version : opinions on cav internal shifter

Rich
01-11-08, 01:11 PM
Just looking for opinions on if its really worth it. Im building a road going let nova, ill be smoothing all the bumpers etc so i want it looking nice and tidy. I like the idea of putting the cav shifter in but wont it look a bit dodgy? Could also do with the space for bigger exhaust.

Anyone got pics of it in there show cars, or how would you cover it? I was thinking of putting it in with the center console in still? Will be a mk1 dash/console

edit: i have searched but all i can find is the shifter in track cars

Adam
01-11-08, 01:14 PM
From what ive been told, its only worth doing if you want a large bore exhaust system, and need the space under the car.

If not, dont bother

Rich
01-11-08, 01:17 PM
i could do with space for the exhaust. Just wanted to see how it looks in somthing other than a track car, if anyones managed to cover it etc.

Sure austin (i think) has one in his saloon, but no pics. Im sure thats not just chucked in

Adam
01-11-08, 01:21 PM
Would need some work to get it to "fit in" with the interior, because of the centre console etc

olienova1
01-11-08, 01:27 PM
ive got a corsa linkage set up on mine works well! it took about 10 mins to set up between 2 of us, one to hold it in place the other to bolt it up easy:p just cut the old gear lever bit out and welded a plate in!:thumb: but i cant put the sourond in my mk2 mate!

R1CH
01-11-08, 05:29 PM
Even if you don't need space for an exhaust its worth doing IMO, feels loads better than the std crappy Novashifter.
Think you'd struggle to get a centre console to fit around it as well.

only pic i could find ...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/Nova%20build%20pics/DSC00353.jpg

Ste L
01-11-08, 05:33 PM
my mk3 nova came with one as standard lol lol

Adam
01-11-08, 05:41 PM
The standard nova shifter works awesomely if your RJ the linkage.

Nova_Tek
01-11-08, 10:32 PM
^^ So if I RazorJack the linkage it will work? Hmmm... I'll ask him lol.

Seriously though.. I too have a centre console didnt realise that its gonna foul the interior linkage. Damn. But I do love the Cav shifter, so much smoother and more of a grown up feel, let alone more sportier looking then the shortened broom stick :D

(yeh I know rose joint)

Jack
02-11-08, 11:54 AM
^^ So if I RazorJack the linkage it will work? Hmmm... I'll ask him lol.
LMFAO don't get me nearby, it will break lol

What about bodging a centre console from another car? I have a spare Celica one which I reckon would probably fit over an internal gear shift. Might have to go measure it up.

Rich
02-11-08, 12:44 PM
my mk3 nova came with one as standard lol lol

I have a mk3 nova, its no better than the standard bucket of plaster lol

Just remembered i might have a shifter from a calibra so will go look when i can be bothered.. as long as it hasnt been binned

Nova_Tek
02-11-08, 04:00 PM
LMFAO don't get me nearby, it will break lol

What about bodging a centre console from another car? I have a spare Celica one which I reckon would probably fit over an internal gear shift. Might have to go measure it up.

Well when the cars gets to that point then I will try mod the centre console somehow. The gearstck is more important but the center console is a nice edition.

Ste L
02-11-08, 05:00 PM
I have a mk3 nova, its no better than the standard bucket of plaster lol

Just remembered i might have a shifter from a calibra so will go look when i can be bothered.. as long as it hasnt been binned

my white one's like stirring porrage, but my silver one feel's really direct