PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations at 30-40mph??

holster
07-11-02, 04:42 PM
When I'm going between 30 and 40mph on some road surfaces i get a bit of vibration from the front of the car, any ideas as to possible problems?

I believe it could be to the tyres not being balanced correctly

Has anyone had similar problem with their Nova?

My car is a 1989 Nova 1.2L

Thanx

MaxedSR
07-11-02, 04:54 PM
I don't know if it's the same but when I accelerate my car is fine but as soon as you start to slow down the stearing wheel starts to vibrate.
I don't know if thats the same as what your experiencing or whether it is just common on novas.

Sorry to not be of anymore help!

Chris LR
07-11-02, 07:39 PM
I get the same from around 55-70, it vibrate the steerign wheel, above 70 it's ok, so it's my reason to go above 70 :wink:

frog_southampton
08-11-02, 12:02 AM
I have this same problem...
I have been told it maybe: warped discs, the front upper suspension arms, you can look at the wear in these components by jacking the front wheels off the ground and rocking the wheel - even a tiny amount of wear in the bushes on these arms can produce brake judder, and this together with a warped disc will make the vehicle almost uncontrollable when breaking, my steering wheel shakes like mad!

does this help? anyone else found this?

frog!
Southampton

Chris LR
08-11-02, 09:54 AM
I was going towards the brakes, even when I stamp on the brake my discs never go mirror shiney at the front, they're always slightly dirty and smeared. I wanted vented discs anyways

Nova-Boy
08-11-02, 10:09 PM
It could be something to do with suspension or brakes or even just wheel balancing, tracking and alignment.

johnmartin
09-11-02, 12:30 AM
Nova_boy...............

R u sure you've covered enough, earthquake mayb? kinda obvious doncha fink. :roll:

Had dis prob wi ma nova 2.

tried the tracking 1st.... no joy.
balancing 2nd.... no joy.
allinment 3rd.... no joy.
ended up replacing the anti roll bars wi new boots.
sorted.

:twisted:

frog_southampton
09-11-02, 04:39 PM
how much did that 2 replace anit roll bar, did u get a 2nd hand one? or brand new?

frog!

ade
11-11-02, 06:30 PM
track rod ends possibly - if vibration through wheels when braking will get nasty feedback through the steering wheel.

Has car been lowered? If so check the struts/springs etc - make sure not loose all nuts tight etc.

Prob just tracking/balancig combination