PDA

View Full Version : misfiring....??

pickle2000
07-11-02, 03:18 PM
I have got a Mk1 1.2 Nova Merit. The engine is fine and runs well (as far as I can tell anyway), but if it is left in damp/cold/wet conditions for a long period of time when it starts up it sounds as though it is misfiring. There isn't a lot of power, and at intermitant intervals there is a little 'kick' in power and then it dies back down. After it has warmed up it is fine, but I need to know how I can prevent this from happening.....

Is it just a case of replacing the spark plugs (standard ones, or performance ones?), or is there likely to be a fuel/choke problem, .... or is it likely to be something else completely....??

All help is most appreciated, since the days are starting to get colder and wetter..... :cry:
Pickle

Stuart
07-11-02, 04:08 PM
i do belive its just condenstaion that forms in the inlet manifold causing these problems, and youve just got to "drive" it out.

and try to avoid the gritted roads round royston because the gritter dosent usually turn is spinner on so theres a line of dangerous grit to nearly die on lol

CP
07-11-02, 09:23 PM
Take the dizzy cap off and dry the inside thoroughly. Put some new plugs in (std ones will be fine) and when the engine is warm and dry spray all the leads and the dizzy with WD40.

pickle2000
08-11-02, 04:42 PM
Cheers lads, I will keep my eye on it and spray the b'stard with WD40. I might change the plugs as well - don't think that they have been changed in ages.....
I hope that I can get it sorted as it is a bit of a pain early in the mornings....

Thanks
Pickle

Manta Mad
08-11-02, 08:21 PM
I have had this problem myself in the past - it was the plug leads that needed replaced.