PDA

View Full Version : Colour Scheme

MK999
30-10-08, 01:49 PM
Currently thinking about what colour to do my bumpers/wheels, as it stands the car looks like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/MK999/Nova/DSC000882.jpg

I have a few plans for it but at the moment the most pressing issue is the bumpers as the rear is a dark grey that needs repainting, and the front is going to be a gsi bumper I'm currently repairing, but the current front is also looking a bit sad for itself. I'll also be getting some gsi skirts at some point, and be colour coding the door handles and boot grab (which will also be smoothed) to the same colour as the bumpers.

Colour options I'm currently thinking of are, a very dark grey like:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/136000-136999/136367_107_full.jpg (ignore the car, just something i pulled off of google, colour is nissan lustre grey)

a matt black, or a satin black, also thought about something a bit different and going gloss white, but i think this might be a little overpowering and too contrasting. The wheels also need refurbing and will either be a very very light silver, or white. I'm currently favouring white slightly, just because of the number of flame red novas with silver wheels and black bumpers around, but then there's a lot of them for a reason !

Any input/ideas to help me decide would be great :thumb:

Pistol Pete
30-10-08, 02:24 PM
Your car looks good as it is IMO.

But if yu really want to paint them, a grey near to standard would be best.

MK999
30-10-08, 03:06 PM
Well the front bumper is gonna be half blue, half fibreglass and filler, so yeah I'd quite like to paint it lol I've seen the standard/rover hurricane grey before, and I don't think it matches that well with flame red, besides which the standard grey for GSI bumpers would be body colour afaik.

Probably my favourite Nova is The Simps old Nova, with the black bumpers, and the SR that has just gone up in for sale here: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102064 looks really good in the early photos, with dark grey/black bumpers/skirts although it may just be the camera used in those early shots.

Pistol Pete
30-10-08, 03:24 PM
What have you done to your front bumer then? A pic would have been handy. Looking at the pic you have posted, all i see is a Nova with a standard mk2 rear bumper.

I could be wrong, but in that link you posted, those bumpers look standard plastic to me.

MK999
30-10-08, 06:05 PM
The rear is painted and lacquered in a much darker grey than standard, but has a big chip in it on the left hand side now, and obviously being lacquered isn't easy to repair.

The front is currently a standard mk2 item, but painted badly with bumper paint, which was crap and soon flaked off, but as i said i have a gsi front bumper i'm currently repairing, this one actually: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103585.

I'll admit the pic was a bit crappy though, so can understand the mistake now I look at what i posted :thumb: I'll try and get a better one tomorrow, but basically, it's a standard mk2 shell with gsi bumpers, both of which need repainting.

Pistol Pete
30-10-08, 07:07 PM
Ooooh, yeah that is proper fcuked. Pull the filler out and repaint. Didnt realise the bumpers were GSi items. Get them cleaned up and painted.

Benn
30-10-08, 07:10 PM
Looking at the pics of the front bumper, its not been preped up before theyve filled it. Dig it all out wont be hard as its a sh*te job.

Plastic weld the bottom rip then fill to smooth.

MK999
30-10-08, 09:26 PM
when it's not been prepped before filling, do you mean the tape recess or the whole surface of the bumper? Was definitely gonna pull the recess fill out as I don't like it being solid body filler, I know someone who can show me/help me fibreglass over it before filling it smooth, so that's the plan for that bit.

Benn
30-10-08, 09:30 PM
Looking at the upclose pic, you can see the surface under the filler is still smooth and standard finish looking, it should have been sanded with a rough grit paper so the filler (it should have been fiberglass first) to grip on to.
If you do refill it, get some black fiber glass, as its more flexible so will be better for bumpers.

I i was gonna fill that line, i'd plastic weld a bit of platic over the top, then filler a thin skim just to finish it off.

Pistol Pete
30-10-08, 09:32 PM
I think Benn means the tape bit, yeah.

lol, too slow!

MK999
30-10-08, 09:52 PM
Looking at the upclose pic, you can see the surface under the filler is still smooth and standard finish looking, it should have been sanded with a rough grit paper so the filler (it should have been fiberglass first) to grip on to.
If you do refill it, get some black fiber glass, as its more flexible so will be better for bumpers.

I i was gonna fill that line, i'd plastic weld a bit of platic over the top, then filler a thin skim just to finish it off.

Yeah I get you now, you can see where he's drilled holes into it, I thought at first it was just to let air out as he squeezed filler into it but now you mention the smooth finish I think that was his 'prep' to get the filler to hold. It wasn't actually poultergeist that did this by the way (If i'm to believe what he told me lol) He bought it in that condition.

I did see the way you did your smooth recess on your project thread actually Benn. Results were impressive. :)

Benn
31-10-08, 08:08 AM
Yeah the holes wont really do that much if the surface hasnt been preped first. Dig it all out, sand off as much of the paint and start again.
If you are refilling the gap, then lean to plastic weld, if you cant get black fiberglass and make sure its got something to grip too. (think 80-60 grit sand paper)

Cheers too :)