PDA

View Full Version : removing rear springs

Plunky
30-10-08, 12:52 AM
whats the best/easiest way for doing this?

cheers

Liam

Asa-James
30-10-08, 01:00 AM
raise the back of the car and support on axle stands, support one side of the rear beam with troly jack, undo bottom bolt of strut and let down slowley.

are they standard or lowered?

jimbob-mcgrew
30-10-08, 01:06 AM
haynes manual says spark a spliff and cut em out with a gas torch lol

Asa-James
30-10-08, 01:09 AM
only use the jack for one side at a time. the rebolt to stop the beam falling down completely

Ernie
30-10-08, 07:33 AM
Jack car up then suport on axel stands under the sill towards the door.
Put trolly jack under reae beam and undo both 19mm bolts.
Lower beam down and the springs will fall out.
Put new springs in place and hold them there with a cable tie.
Jack the rear beam back up untill you can get the bolts back through.
Job done.

kc_08
30-10-08, 07:37 PM
just done it today mate, same as above but when i lowerd my car back down the spring still wasnt comming out, so i had to push the drum down, and pull the arch up wiv my hands and foot, and thn it dropped out, i done 1 side at i time with a mates help, using just a trolley jack, probly took longer but it still worked

Pistol Pete
30-10-08, 07:39 PM
Least you got it done though!

General Baxter
30-10-08, 07:48 PM
if you have extra low srpings 100mm + just jack it up and they will fall out lol

novacabrio
30-10-08, 09:55 PM
If you have to ask and can't figure it out your self you aint man enough to try it lol

ck
31-10-08, 05:42 PM
wow how hard are those ways of doing it...

all i do is undo the 17mm nut (bottom of shock absorber) 1 side at a time. remove this bolt. then jack that side up so the wheel is a few inch off the floor, push the wheel down and pull the spring out. do the opposite to put new spring in. then lower the car down. put the bolt back in and one side done. same on other side...

Graeme
31-10-08, 05:48 PM
I just barred them out and then put the lowered ones in, didn't undo anything but thinking about it now it probably wasn't the cleverest way of doing it but definately the quickest, but that's what happens when you follow the advice of a Kwikfit fitter