PDA

View Full Version : Heaters :(

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 08:30 AM
well as the song goes, "tis the season to freeze your nadgers off, tra la la la lala... blabla"

Heaters arent working, all blower speeds work fine, but im getting no heat through AT all

what should/can i check for?

thanks very much! wouldnt mind fixing this problem asap, cheers

Ernie
29-10-08, 08:37 AM
fit a new stat and if its a mrk1 dash take the centre trim bit out that has the vents in it and block the back of them off.
Once it warms up again (E.G. mid july 2009) unblock them sorted.

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 08:41 AM
I'd be checking that the car has coolant in it first!

Ernie
29-10-08, 08:43 AM
Sorry bud second that aswell lol.

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 09:06 AM
yeah there is coolant in there, and ive got a mk2 dash, thanks for the advice though! any other ideas? thanks lads

<edit> sorry where abouts is the stat?

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 09:07 AM
Check that the heater control is still connected to the heater matrix and moves the lever back and forth when you rotate the control.

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 09:16 AM
Is the water in your expansion tank getting hot after the car has been running for a few minutes? If so, thermostat is fine.

Welsh Dan
29-10-08, 09:28 AM
Let the car run for ten minutes or so, then squeeze the big coolant hose that comes from the passenger side of the radiator, if its firm then the matrix could be blocked or its the heater cable as mentioned above. If its hot-ish but squishy then the system isnt pressurising, so isn't getting up to temperature.

Ernie
29-10-08, 09:32 AM
put a big coat on if the above doesnt fix it.

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 09:57 AM
right checked the car, the pipes are squishy and are warm/hot, chercked the pipes going into the bulkhead too, they are the same!

yeah thats what i had been doing ernie lol, but using de icer on the inside of my windscreen is getting abit extreme now

any other ideas? thanks very much for your help,

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 10:01 AM
Check that the heater control is still connected to the heater matrix and moves the lever back and forth when you rotate the control.

Checked this yet?

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 10:06 AM
**** sorry mate, no i haven't, where abouts would i find the heater matrix? there is still tension when i turn the heater control, i remember when i snapped the clip for the blower direction control and that went very loose iirc,

thanks for your help mate

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 10:13 AM
Here it is:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/STA60022-1.jpg

Just follow the cable from the heater conrol down to where it clips onto it. If it's not clipped in and not connected to the lever that it operates, chances are it's set on cold and hence no warm air.

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 10:14 AM
You don't need to take the dash out to check by the way,

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 10:23 AM
haha thanks mate! how else would i check? just unscrew the dash and ease it forward abit? sorry for all the newb wuestions :)
much appreciated mate!

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 10:25 AM
Take off the under dash trays, then all should be clear.

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 10:29 AM
:) thanks

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 10:35 AM
sorted!!! well kind of, but ive got heat now! cheers mate, your a life saver! and thats no exaggeration im sure hypothermia was about to set in :)

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-10-08, 10:39 AM
Glad you got it sorted mate.

Ernie
29-10-08, 12:53 PM
Result in the end then cool. well hot really lol.

Tidy Max
29-10-08, 03:00 PM
lol that was bad, v.bad joke haha, infact it was terrible

well just drove to an audio axhibition in manchester and i was niiice and toasty :)

NovaGuy1400SRi
29-10-08, 03:41 PM
What was the problem then?

With mine, the clip that holds the outer casing of the cable is broken so i will have to find a way of fixing it to the matrix until i find another one, or just lean down & move the lever by hand every time i need to change heat/cold lol

AlexW
29-10-08, 03:44 PM
What was the problem then?

With mine, the clip that holds the outer casing of the cable is broken so i will have to find a way of fixing it to the matrix until i find another one, or just lean down & move the lever by hand every time i need to change heat/cold lol

Use some strong glue and a cable tie or two, its worked on mine and has been over used.

NovaGuy1400SRi
29-10-08, 03:58 PM
Yeah i was going to try something like that, just cant be a**ed sorting it just now lol

Cheers for the advice :thumb:

[EDIT] Plus the heat probably wont need to be turned to cold for a while by the look of things lol