PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season for coldness!

ade
27-10-08, 11:24 PM
it's that time people!

I had snow on the hills up by me at the weekend and came out this morning to ice all over my car and roads as slippy as feck due to all the heavy rain.

PLEASE DRIVE CAREFULLY!

My top tips - feel free to copy and paste as necessary to expand...

check your fluids and coolant, tyre pressure and lights
stick proper windscreen cleaner in your wiper bottles
carry an ice scraper and de-icer with you
carry spare bulbs (incase the police stop you).
set off a few minutes earlier
keep your distance!
watch your speed round corners especially on clear sky days (more chance of frost)
keep a set of sunglasses in the car - handy for clear days when the suns low in the sky

if your cars prone to misting up in the morning/evening buy some Desiccant moisture packs (silica gel)s and leave them in the car. you can get them from B&Q about £20 - and they last for ages and work a treat!

:thumb:

Cle
27-10-08, 11:26 PM
i had snow this morning :( was snowing all night and stopped at about 11am and had all gone by 2pm :)

Simon 1867
27-10-08, 11:35 PM
Good thread to post ade... very important we keep our wits about us

Spudly
27-10-08, 11:45 PM
if your cars prone to misting up in the morning/evening buy some Desiccant moisture packs (silica gel)s and leave them in the car. you can get them from B&Q about £20 - and they last for ages and work a treat!

Quality post ade:thumb:

But for me thats the most important info as i didnt know you could buy them, ill be throwing a load in the GTE at the weekend though!

And remember kiddies when driving in thick snow, set off at tickover so as not to wheelspin and change up a gear as soon as youre moving then up again as soon as your revs pick up above say 1.5-2k ish, and to slow down DO NOT BRAKE you will only lock the wheels and slide/skid either way you will pick up speed.
Simply come down a gear and bring the clutch up slowly, once youre fully off the clutch pedal down another gear and same again, you can get to walking pace using the gears before you need to brake and you will stop in feet once you have practised this method (find the biggest/clearest carpark you can and play) its a worthwhile thing to do as a lot of drivers have never driven in snow before!

nova danny1
27-10-08, 11:45 PM
but look on the upside,sunday mornings (when its nice and dry) lurvly lurvly cold air and b roads!!!:D

NovaLad
28-10-08, 12:18 AM

keep your distance!
watch your speed round corners especially on clear sky days (more chance of frost)
keep a set of sunglasses in the car - handy for clear days when the suns low in the sky

Be reet!!!

Bang some chains on the tyres...
Carry a stanley knife.
Handbrake every corner to get a drift YO!
Use hand for covering eyes in bright circumstances...

Of course i am joking ... lol

Spudly
28-10-08, 12:30 AM
Of course i am joking ... lol

Glad you wrote that at the end, read through what ive written, snowy carparks can be your best practice fields in the snow, tis how i learned (and its a laugh to boot) but it does help, lose control the try to regain it and keep doing it till it becomes habit to stay off the brakes in the snow:thumb:

FUSION X16XE
28-10-08, 02:21 AM
it's that time people!

I had snow on the hills up by me at the weekend and came out this morning to ice all over my car and roads as slippy as feck due to all the heavy rain.

PLEASE DRIVE CAREFULLY!

keep your distance!

+1 rep :thumb:

FUSION X16XE
28-10-08, 02:23 AM

Great advice :thumb:

Dan_Coombs
28-10-08, 07:41 AM
I've gotta snowplough on the front of my nova so i guess this doesn't apply to me. :)

What you mean thats not what it's for...? lol

burgo
28-10-08, 08:00 AM
proper chilly this morning. im laying in my nice warm bed laughing at people having to scrape there cars

Spudly
28-10-08, 08:57 AM
^^^ My cav sleeps behind some 7ft security gates so i simply go outside and fire her up. flick the heated seat on the return to finish me coffe, and its toasty and warm by the time i go out to drive to work:thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
28-10-08, 09:11 AM
Plus rep for that top advice ade esp the last bit!

Jack
28-10-08, 09:15 AM
i had snow this morning :( was snowing all night and stopped at about 11am and had all gone by 2pm :)
Any time machine gen?

Bit slippy out this morning. Nova has a headlight bulb out and no windscreen blowers at the mo so thats just laid up out front at the moment until I sort it (which will be a while), think I might take the battery out to stop the cold killing it.

I love driving in snow though :D

Cle
28-10-08, 09:35 AM
woke up this morning to find about 2 inch's of snow lol

Spudly
28-10-08, 09:36 AM
I love driving in snow though :D

Playing in thick snow in a car is awesome fun!

I really like driving on quiet country roads, late at night on thick fresh snow especially when its still falling as its soo quiet and looks fantastic!:thumb:

raymond
28-10-08, 09:39 AM
think the time has come to service the nova agian ready for these harsh winter months luckily the heaters blow warm air out this year unlike they did last year lol
as everyone noticed all the salt attacking the cars already mine is full of the stuff. looks like its on for a long harsh winter and find a good welder for the summer lol

Riggy
28-10-08, 09:41 AM
i had ice on my nova last night after work ,

heated windows are the best kit ever lol

Stuart
28-10-08, 09:42 AM
I gay out of driving the VX in snow... big fat tyres, in a car with no weight, no thanks! Nova in snow with skinny tyres FTW

Spudly
28-10-08, 09:43 AM
woke up this morning to find about 2 inch's of snow lol

Aww i want a proper winter with snow, it was years back that we had a decent snowfall, i was at a cinema with a lass i was seeing and went in to the bar for a bit first.
It was freezing outside when we went in but was dry, we came out around three hours later to find around three inches of snow completely covering everything!!

It took about forty minutes to defrost my mk3 fezzy enough to drive off and was coming down thick and fast, it was ace:thumb:

raymond
28-10-08, 09:46 AM

heated windows are the best kit ever lol

Just what we all need lol

Jack
28-10-08, 09:51 AM
I had ice on my novargh last night about 9pm. This morning, which I would have assumed to be colder, there was none :wtf:

Is this a good thread to pimp the fact that Spanishfly is doing a group buy on heated front windscreens? ;)

Riggy
28-10-08, 09:52 AM
im goin to be back in the astra from sat when i tax it , so im goin to miss my heated front screen lol

how many times can you say that about a nova lol

raymond
28-10-08, 09:53 AM
is the nova going away for the winter rigster lol

Royston
28-10-08, 10:08 AM
Gritters out my way last night, frost overnight and this morning!

Pistol Pete
28-10-08, 10:08 AM
proper chilly this morning. im laying in my nice warm bed laughing at people having to scrape there cars

lol, i saw the sun poking through and thought, "yeah i'll go to my mums and do some work on the Nova" looked out the window....fook that. Its frickin cold. Back in bed with the heating on!! lol

I'm probably back to work sometime soon, so will enjoy layins whilst i can!

Top advice there ade, BTW. :thumb:

Riggy
28-10-08, 10:09 AM
tax is out at end of nov , so it will then mate , rip engine out i thinks

Tidy Max
28-10-08, 10:09 AM
the silica packs are in my car, read that this morning and went on a spree round our workshop gathering all that i could find :) cars going to be dryer than a desert now, cheers for that tip :)

Cle
28-10-08, 11:41 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/Cle_555/IMG_1926.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/Cle_555/IMG_1927.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/Cle_555/IMG_1928.jpg

SNOWWW

Spudly
28-10-08, 11:44 AM
Never.....

I wanna :cry: now cos we never seem to get much snow if any at all, and i know its very cliche but the big kid in me says "im dreaming of a white christmas" lol

burgo
28-10-08, 11:53 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/Cle_555/IMG_1928.jpg

SNOWWW

lol did you slip over?

im still trying to gather the energy to get out of bed lol

Cle
28-10-08, 11:55 AM
lol nah my camera chopped of the top if i had taken it Horizontal

Spudly
28-10-08, 11:55 AM
Yep, there was that much snow he slipped and fell!

Did you do a poll with yourself as to get out of bed or not then luke, must be confusing if you vote burgo lol

burgo
28-10-08, 11:57 AM
Yep, there was that much snow he slipped and fell!

Did you do a poll with yourself as to get out of bed or not then luke, must be confusing if you vote burgo lollol no that would take to much thinking power

hendrix
28-10-08, 12:30 PM
great post Ade,
This morning was soooo cold, no heating and hot water sucks :(

Jack
28-10-08, 01:05 PM
Just had a bit of a mental hailstorm.

Oh, and a powercut, during which I was taking my usual work poo. Trying to release, wipe, flush, wash hands all in the dark, then realise no power = no hand drier is not fun.

Dar
28-10-08, 05:10 PM
We had a mental hail storm at about the same time. Apparently it's snowing in Halesowen

General Baxter
28-10-08, 05:15 PM
lol when it get here, im going to get 3.5ton to slide :D

just lock the rear diff :p

last year i had that beemer, that was fun, 197bhp, welder rear diff, ditch finder tyres lol

ade
28-10-08, 05:35 PM
OH MY GOD!

This is so unreal it still freaks me out - despite my post warning everyone the dangers of driving safely - what did my wife do this morning at 7.30am

crashed!

Driving the Kia Sorento round a curve saw ice on the road she braked, car slid, bounced off the curbe and becuase its god stupid bouncey tyres it pitched over onto its side the nose dug into the grass verge span the car around and it righted itself!

She's okay - garage say cars a write off! And its just 4 weeks outside the insurance new for old replacement!

Talk about some kind of premonition or what!

We sold the Ibiza the other day so we've gone from 3 cars down to 1 - my wee Nova!

will post pics shortly

Riggy
28-10-08, 05:40 PM
****ing hell ade , your misses doesnt have much luck with cars does she , 2 bad crashes now lol

glad to hear that she is ok though mate

General Baxter
28-10-08, 05:43 PM
Ade, if you would of gotten a 4x4 ( a real one )

it would of ether gone through the bank or drove up it lol

glad shes ok tho lol

ade
28-10-08, 05:59 PM
shes a bit shaken up - but no damage...

she trashed the ZR in a similar fashion about 4 yrs ago - stuck it in a field after rolling is several times.

pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/kia001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/kia003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/kia004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/kia002.jpg

Apparently the chassis is twisted so theyve written it off...

DRIVE CAREFULLY PEOPLE - IF EVER A THREAD NEEDED EVIDENCE!

Cle
28-10-08, 06:02 PM
owwwww:( looks pretty wrecked

Andy
28-10-08, 06:03 PM
Shame about the car but glad shes ok.
Back to the weather,snow was falling around here earlier.Its fukkin baltic outside

Mike
28-10-08, 06:04 PM
Sheet mate! Glad yours missus got out in one piece!! She loves wrecking your motors though no? lol

Anyway, its been snowing here in the midlands non stop since about 2.30pm :D

mayhem
28-10-08, 06:18 PM
just rain here.

Spudly
28-10-08, 06:29 PM
Sh!t the bed man, glad to hear she is alright thats really freaky that you posted this thread only a few hours before this!!

Take heed of this guys and gals it can happen to anyone at anytime!

burgo
28-10-08, 06:59 PM
no way it can be 4 years ago that she crashed the mg

ade
28-10-08, 07:04 PM
Sheet mate! Glad yours missus got out in one piece!! She loves wrecking your motors though no? lol
That's why shes not named on my Nova's insurance!

lol

Thankfully she hates driving Novas!

Luke - September 2004 was the ZR's termination. Doesnt time fly...it certainly tried. And failed

Another tip to keep your car mist free
Get some RainX - they do an anti mist up version but the standard stuff also works a treat in preventing moisture forming!

It just rolls down the window and into your dash though!

lol

epo
28-10-08, 07:28 PM
glad she's ok mate

i love this time of year yeah its cold but it doesnt half kill the cover back all those nettles dying
chance to get out with a hand full of nets and couple of ferrets catch a few bunnies for tea
+ the frontera will piss up snowy fields
i love 4x4

Rich
28-10-08, 07:37 PM
Just had some woman lock up and hit the back of me on my way home from work, its not even real ice yet :(

No damage to the cars, i stopped quick for traffic, 106 behind didnt. I saw her coming in my rear view and started pulling away, think thats what saved her car.

Last time it happened i was on my way home from work, and a saxo hit me (was in the astra gte) and it wrecked the front of her car! Thinking about it, was pretty much same time and road lol

DW-Nova
28-10-08, 09:06 PM
I really really hate this weather, makes you feel so s**t ! especially know that the clocks have changed. As regards to driving i know that everybody says start the car and drive straight off but i dont agree with this at all, i always leave it to warm up for at least 5 minutes in the morning and in the evening on my way home from work, saves having to scrape it all and means you can jump straight in with your T-Shirt on instead of driving around with a big bulky jacket on, also the car just feels so much better to drive off in with a bit of warmth in the engine.

Lynsey
28-10-08, 09:14 PM
+1 rep for Ade :thumb:

Good thread Ade, we don't want to be losing any Novas or any members this winter. Everyone stay safe and lets all have a lovely Christmas season :D

+1 rep for Dan Coombs too, snowplough Novas rock :p

burgo
29-10-08, 08:34 AM
still no snow for me :( apparently everywhere around me has had it

Welsh Dan
29-10-08, 09:35 AM

A cheaper alternative to that is a wilko's/tesco value washing up bowl filled with salt and/or rice :thumb:.

The door was frozen closed on my mondeo this morning :lol:, the roads were ok but I fell on my **** walking from the car to work on some ice.

Mike
29-10-08, 10:02 AM
^ lol MR2's are notorious for the doors freezing shut lol

Spudly
29-10-08, 11:03 AM
still no snow for me :( apparently everywhere around me has had it

Youre not the only one bud, weve not had any either although there was a frost this morning which made everything sort of white and that about as close as we ever get round here, boo:cry: :cry: :cry:

Pistol Pete
29-10-08, 11:09 AM
Still no snow here either. Was frosty this morning, gritters out last nite.

Spudly
29-10-08, 11:19 AM
gritters out last nite.

Evil horrible car eating sh!t spreaders grrrrrrrr:mad: lol

Jack
29-10-08, 11:25 AM
^ lol MR2's are notorious for the doors freezing shut lol
So are Celicas it would seem lol

My passenger window needed to warm up before it would come down this morning lol

Pistol Pete
29-10-08, 11:25 AM
lol my Fiesta is at a mates garage at the mo, so it has a reprieve for a few days!! I'm sure it will start dropping rust poo when i pick it up lol

Novas been tucked up in a garage for years, so no worries there.

NovaGuy1400SRi
29-10-08, 11:38 AM
She's okay - garage say cars a write off! And its just 4 weeks outside the insurance new for old replacement!

Talk about some kind of premonition or what!

We sold the Ibiza the other day so we've gone from 3 cars down to 1 - my wee Nova!

will post pics shortly

Glad to hear she's okay Ade :)

+Rep on the topic :thumb:

hendrix
29-10-08, 01:13 PM
Yeah ade, glad she's ok. Quite like them Sorento's had one for the weekend a while ago.
I also remember the ZR incident.

ade
02-11-08, 01:02 AM
well we picked up the new car this morning. Got another Kia Sorento.

However get this for a credit crunch deal - brand new 58 plate (1st owner not even pre reg and the new shaped one) XE Sorento in Silver (Manual), 11 miles on clock, 1 yrs tax, tank of fuel, reduced from £21k to £16k!!!

The car they were gonna give us wasnt available so Gill said she'd look at the franchise in Paisley. He asks us to leave it with him and the next thing he's offering us new with £5k off the price!

Insane - but we're not complaining.

The biggest insanity is for the wrote off the insurance will prob pay out about £11k and the Gap insurance will pay us back the £6k difference to bring it back the the original purchase price so we're £1k up!

lol

NovaGuy1400SRi
02-11-08, 01:33 AM
cant complain at that then Ade :thumb: