PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 Front Bumper

Anton
05-11-02, 04:17 PM
I'm trying to take my mk2 sr front bumper off to fit a splitter. Ive removed the 2 screws on each side under the wheel arches, but cant get the pop rivets off? Is there something else holding it on near the mounts? Haynes manual is as good as useless.

Alex
05-11-02, 04:32 PM
You have to take the grill off first.
2 screws under each wheel arch.
Pull the bumper off the car one side at a time.

Anton
05-11-02, 04:33 PM
Done all off that, tried pulling it but it won't come off

Alex
05-11-02, 04:37 PM
Does it move at all?
You sometimes have to bend it slightly to get it over and off the arch.

Anton
05-11-02, 04:39 PM
It only moves at the edges, and even then only slightly :evil:

Alex
05-11-02, 04:43 PM
its probably just got loads of crap lodged in there as it hasn't been off for a while.

Start at the bottom of the wheel arch and slowly pull the bumper back and over the arch. It wont snap so don't worry. :?

mikeoxford
05-11-02, 11:59 PM
ive just took my bumper off to fit a new style laguna splitter

LOOKS THE B0LL0X

anyway

to remove bumper

step one remove grille

step two, undo two small screws in each wheel arch that has a very deep pitch thread

step three, look in wheel arch for two 13mm bolt heads that are approx 2 inches apart from each other, undo both of them, bumper should now be loose (ish) pull sides of bumper of to get past arch, tug left hand side little harder as plastic needs to flex over towing eye hook

bingo?

he says!

any good?

Jim
06-11-02, 10:09 AM
Me and JKhilton removed my front bumper a couple of weeks ago. There were some plastic pegs (like Rivots) securing the bumper to the car from underneath. We had to get a Stanley knife and cut these rivot type things in half in order to get the bumper off. Other than that, once the sides were unscrewed it just slid out. Check underneath to make sure the bumper isn't attached.

Jim

mikeoxford
06-11-02, 11:01 AM
strange that

people (inlcuding the haynes manual) say about body bound rivets

on three of the cars ive ever played with - never had them. hhhmmm

oh well!

Jim
06-11-02, 11:33 AM
I've not put the rivots back on my bumper, It's secured with the bolts that go into the wings.

Jim

Ric 16v
07-11-02, 04:04 PM
was the same with mine, when I was changing my bumper from standard to GSi there were little bits of plastic underneath the front of the bumper which was holding it on, didn't put them back in when I put the GSi bumper on