PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems

Lee H
05-11-02, 10:55 AM
I am running Astra GTE 16v brakes on the front of my Nova and recently I have started getting a juddering and lots of feedback through steering wheel under heavy braking. I have changed the discs and pads but still no joy. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers

locky
05-11-02, 12:24 PM
Its a long shot but check the wheel balancing weights havnt come off, ur steering wheel sometimes judders when the wheels arnt balanced correctly whilst driving, it may only occur when braking!
like i sed tho just a guess

Lee H
05-11-02, 12:27 PM
Sorry, forgot to add, wheels were balanced last week!! Cheers anyway mate.

?Marty?
05-11-02, 02:25 PM
could be wheel bearings.

ade
05-11-02, 03:32 PM
its prob gonna be yer track rod ends that are gone

Jack car up, support on axle stands and wobble front wheels up and down - if you hear a clunk clunk or thery move yer track rod ends need replacing.

I had the exact same prob with I braked - bad judder through column when braking at speed - some slight judder when aceperating between 40 to 60 mph too.

One track rod end (off side) cost me ?65 inc labour - you'll need yer tracking done aswell once done - prob looking at a bill of ?150 ish all in unless you do it yerself (track rods) but you need a tool to seperate the joint and they can be real pigs if they aint been done in a while.

You will also fail MOT if you have play in yer wheels.

Failing that could be warped discs or badly worn pads.

Ade

ade
05-11-02, 03:32 PM
its prob gonna be yer track rod ends that are gone

Jack car up, support on axle stands and wobble front wheels up and down - if you hear a clunk clunk or thery move yer track rod ends need replacing.

I had the exact same prob with I braked - bad judder through column when braking at speed - some slight judder when aceperating between 40 to 60 mph too.

One track rod end (off side) cost me ?65 inc labour - you'll need yer tracking done aswell once done - prob looking at a bill of ?150 ish all in unless you do it yerself (track rods) but you need a tool to seperate the joint and they can be real pigs if they aint been done in a while.

You will also fail MOT if you have play in yer wheels.

Failing that could be warped discs or badly worn pads.

Ade

Aragorn
05-11-02, 06:18 PM
goh more moneh

i get the EXACT same problem and im running the same brake setup

i just had the tracking done on friday at kwik-fit and they left me with squint steering

so will these "track rods" keep working? or will they explode into 4 million shards sending the wheels into the nearest barrier?

:o

Jim
06-11-02, 10:20 AM
How Bizarre...I had the exact same thing happen to me recently. I'm running exactly the same brakes aswell. However, I changed my discs and pads about 2 weeks ago and all the feedback that I was getting with the older brakes dissapeared with the new brakes :| I'm not sure why you're still getting it after you've changed your brakes and had your wheels balanced. Are you sure none of your wheels are buckled? Other than that get the tracking cheked out. Or as Ade says, the brakes and pads you just fitted could be warped :(

Jim

Aragorn
06-11-02, 06:07 PM
one of my rear wheels IS buckled

could this be causing it?

also very few garages check the balancing on the rears so it might be worth getting them checked too?

Lee H
07-11-02, 08:30 AM
Its annoying me now, renewed everything except track rod end so they look to be favourite. Also getting a sort of knocking noise as I go over small bumps and stuff but i`m running brand new shocks so I wouldn`t have thought they could be causing it.

Jim
07-11-02, 09:48 AM
Aragorn, you're rear wheel being buckled could be affecting the way the car handles. I'd suggest getting it replaced as soon as you can.

Leegsi16v, I use to get the same noise when going over small bumps in my car. What susspension set up do you have? It could be a number of things, try checking your exhaust isn't loose, as this could be banging on the chassis.

Jim

Lee H
07-11-02, 09:54 AM
I am running Avo coilovers on the front with brand new top mounts and brand new control arm balljoints so its unlikely to be them I would have thought?? Can`t be the exhaust as you can feel the knocking through the pedals if that makes any sense!!

Jim
07-11-02, 10:00 AM
Do you feel the knocking when braking heavily, or does it happen whenever you brake? Or does it happen just when you go over bumps? Try adjusting the susspension, can you make it so the susspension isn't so hard?

Lee H
07-11-02, 10:03 AM
The knocking happens when going over bumps but the suspension is on its softest setting and is quite a good ride. The shaking of the steering wheel happens under braking but is much worse at higher speeds and the car has recently started pulling to the left slightly!! Could knackered track rod ends cause all these things??

Jim
07-11-02, 10:21 AM
Get your car into a garage and get them to check the tracking...Your track rod ends could be responsible for all this.

Jim