PDA

View Full Version : Rally Car Registrations???

EUROTURBO
25-10-08, 03:16 PM
How the **** do rally cars get away with those tiny sticker number plates on the front of there cars and not get caught out, only ask cos they have got to have a valid MOT and be roadworthy for each race and be driven by the driver from stage to stage...

point being that if for some reason i had a front mount and had no room for a number plate could i use the same excuse.....????

ideas on a postcard....

:thumb:

L14MNP
25-10-08, 03:18 PM
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Sturge
25-10-08, 03:18 PM
Because they're generally only driven very short distances on the road and the rallies have the permission of the local plod so discretion is given :)

EUROTURBO
25-10-08, 03:20 PM
well for future reference if you ever see a black wide arch nova with front mount mr policeman... be advised im driving to my next rally stage wherever that may be.....lol

Stuart
25-10-08, 07:16 PM
iirc a load of the WRC cars in wales got hammered with fines for driving over 30mph in a 30zone.... so the police arent always nice. This was a few years back

Mike
25-10-08, 10:02 PM
^ true ;) happened in Finland a few years back too lol

With regards to MOT and such like, you really think they have a "proper" MOT lol lol lol

Graeme
25-10-08, 10:09 PM
I was in Cardiff for the final stages a few years back and saw three WRC on the side of the road all with their documents in hand, t'was very funny

Mike
25-10-08, 10:15 PM
Road miles (as in going from stage to service etc) are always uncompetitive driving. Its the same thing what happens when a load of chavs meet up with cars, a little race is inevitible lol

Novasport
25-10-08, 10:30 PM
^ true ;) happened in Finland a few years back too lol

With regards to MOT and such like, you really think they have a "proper" MOT lol lol lol

You really think any of the WRC teams would even use a car for 3 years for it to even need an MOT!

Mike
25-10-08, 10:32 PM
You really think any of the WRC teams would even use a car for 3 years for it to even need an MOT!

WRC cars (well, the shell/running gear) dont even see 3 weeks before there renewed :thumb:

DAN-F
25-10-08, 10:57 PM
some of them didnt even make it to cardiff they got stopped in the valleys colin mcrea included, i live in the valley where a lot of the stages are held, 5 mins walking distance, and they were getting stopped and checked for everything, plates tyres the lot, iirc one they wouldnt let continue cos of a wheel hanging off gronholm or loeb i think

EUROTURBO
26-10-08, 10:30 PM
makes it sound all the better when even the pros dont get away with it... next time im at the motorshow and the engineers are speaking to people this is still gonna be my No1 question to em though... nice police or not, there still small so theres gonna be some clause to get around it....

Jack
27-10-08, 12:31 AM
WRC cars (well, the shell/running gear) dont even see 3 weeks before there renewed :thumb:
I thought there used to be a rule back in the day where you were only allowed to change the gearbox once throughout an entire season or something daft like that...

draper
27-10-08, 03:56 PM
some of them didnt even make it to cardiff they got stopped in the valleys colin mcrea included, i live in the valley where a lot of the stages are held, 5 mins walking distance, and they were getting stopped and checked for everything, plates tyres the lot, iirc one they wouldnt let continue cos of a wheel hanging off gronholm or loeb i think

that was hakkinan (sp?) and he was arguing with the copper about it lol

loggyboy
27-10-08, 03:59 PM
hakkinen was an F1 driver! lol

it was makinen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3257523.stm

Pistol Pete
27-10-08, 04:00 PM
iirc a load of the WRC cars in wales got hammered with fines for driving over 30mph in a 30zone.... so the police arent always nice. This was a few years back

I remember seeing video footage of Marcus Gronholm talking to a copper, after his car was "abit" damaged, in Wales i *think* lol Copper telling him "you cant drive that like that.." Marcus replied "oh, but i can, look i show you.." lol very funny!

6 mins in...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qJDDaYQCIM

draper
27-10-08, 04:09 PM
hakkinen was an F1 driver! lol

it was makinen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3257523.stm

im, er dsylexic onest guv

Ben
27-10-08, 06:27 PM
The fact they use hydrulic handbrake would fail an MOT as well but they still use them!

kenny_afh
27-10-08, 10:17 PM
alot of clubmen with imprezas and evos (and ive seen a few customer WRC cars) use a top hinged plate with enough resistance that when the car is going slow the plate is visible but once its up to stage speeds the plate folds away allowing extra air.

DAN-F
28-10-08, 03:45 PM
wasnt makinen cos i think it was a zsara

EUROTURBO
28-10-08, 04:12 PM
alot of clubmen with imprezas and evos (and ive seen a few customer WRC cars) use a top hinged plate with enough resistance that when the car is going slow the plate is visible but once its up to stage speeds the plate folds away allowing extra air.

Thats an idea??? but could look tacky??? lol, think i mite jus rest it against the windscreen from the inside of the car???

Ben
28-10-08, 04:14 PM
put a sticky one on the bonnet!

EUROTURBO
28-10-08, 04:16 PM
dont wanna ruin the paintwork only jus got it back from the shop, dont wanna start sticking stickers on it...!!!

draper
28-10-08, 04:33 PM
carry one in the car thats scuffed/scratched and if/when pulled over say it fell off 10mins ago

Pistol Pete
28-10-08, 04:35 PM
wasnt makinen cos i think it was a zsara

See the link that i posted. That may answer your question.

R1CH
28-10-08, 06:51 PM

Theres quite a few 'private' WRC Teams that have cars well over 3 year old, and still use them in competition.

Where did you get that from ?? Most works WRC shells will do 2 or 3 events before getting re-prepped, same with the running gear, alot of the components get lockwired (then sealed by the FIA) to the shell to make sure they do X amounts of events.
Private teams will pretty much run the shells untill they need repaired.

As regards the small number plates, i'll see what they say at work ... i've always wondered how they get away with some things as well.

Stuart
28-10-08, 07:11 PM
dash mount number plates are cool ;)

EUROTURBO
29-10-08, 05:30 PM
carry one in the car thats scuffed/scratched and if/when pulled over say it fell off 10mins ago

yea not a bad idea but with the finish i want with the car again it may look a bit ****y!!!!

think i will just take the chance of one inside the car on the dash and if questioned play it dumb...