PDA

View Full Version : mk2 loom problem

Huffy
24-10-08, 07:34 PM
Ive just had fitted a mk2 loom in my mk1, 1.3L because ive put a mk2 dash in with a digi dash. the problem ive got is that when i switch the ignition on the rear wiper comes on fast and to turn it off i have to switch the rear wiper on then off. :confused:

If anyone can help id be very greatful.

Cheers Andy (huffy) :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
24-10-08, 07:48 PM
shoulda kept the mk.1 dash !

save u time, money and aggro.

Pistol Pete
24-10-08, 08:07 PM
Dont see why you swapped the looms TBH. Just retrace your wiring and see if you can sort the problem?!

Huffy
24-10-08, 08:15 PM
i was goin to keep the mk1 loom in but the lad who done it for me said its best to do it proper and change em ?? the lads a spark like so i didnt argue i like the mk2 dash better than the mk1 thats why i changed them

jimbob-mcgrew
25-10-08, 03:56 AM
altho its extra hassles, yeh he's right really, best to change the loom with it, makes everything fully compatible with the new switches etc going in.
as much as i love mk.1 dashes, ill allow it lol
that isnt your white mk.1 in your picture box is it ? youve mk.2'd the front of it too !
anyhow bout the prob, possibly the wiper stalk switch is sticking ? or perhaps the wiring is a slightly different layout on the mk.2 loom for the mk.1 stalk ?
sounds like the switch or some part of it is making a connection when juice from the ignition hits the stalk ? i wonder if it still has the problem unplugged from the stalk, try that to see if theres a problem there.

if u can wait a few days i might be able to shed further light for ya, as im ditching my stalk and running a toggle switch for the wipers and a push button for the squirters, if u aint found a prob ill get back to you on the wiring front, ive got a mk.2 1.2 carb loom in mine if youve got the same.

AlexW
25-10-08, 09:24 AM
Mk1 and Mk2 stalks are the same, the only differance i know of is for cars without rear wiper as standard (loons and some mk2s (mine))

Ive also fitted a mk2 dash to my mk1 using the full loom and ive had no problems. The only thing i can think of that could cause the rear wiper to come on is the relay, its only a few pence so its worth testing.

Otherwise it would be best to single other things out, like the stalk, motor and wiring as the last thing.

:)

Jack
25-10-08, 11:53 AM
i was goin to keep the mk1 loom in but the lad who done it for me said its best to do it proper and change em ?? the lads a spark like so i didnt argue i like the mk2 dash better than the mk1 thats why i changed them
What?! Hmm, swap an entire loom or just chop some switches over. Was he charging you for the work? lol

Clearly its not best as he's ****ed something up lol. I should go back to him and hassle him to fix it.

Huffy
25-10-08, 03:42 PM
altho its extra hassles, yeh he's right really, best to change the loom with it, makes everything fully compatible with the new switches etc going in.
as much as i love mk.1 dashes, ill allow it lol
that isnt your white mk.1 in your picture box is it ? youve mk.2'd the front of it too !
anyhow bout the prob, possibly the wiper stalk switch is sticking ? or perhaps the wiring is a slightly different layout on the mk.2 loom for the mk.1 stalk ?
sounds like the switch or some part of it is making a connection when juice from the ignition hits the stalk ? i wonder if it still has the problem unplugged from the stalk, try that to see if theres a problem there.

if u can wait a few days i might be able to shed further light for ya, as im ditching my stalk and running a toggle switch for the wipers and a push button for the squirters, if u aint found a prob ill get back to you on the wiring front, ive got a mk.2 1.2 carb loom in mine if youve got the same.

thanks very much also found out before the speedo aint working :mad: this really isnt goin my way:cry: ive text the lad to let im know that these bits are playing up so hopefully he'll come and sort them for me. but thank you very much for your help :thumb:

Huffy
25-10-08, 03:46 PM
yes i paided £140 for the loom and for the job to be done. ive got intouch with the lad to let him know whats wrong ill hold back and see if i can get another stalk also the nova in the pic is my old mk2 sr sold it :cry: lol Thanks very much for the feed back as well :thumb: