PDA

View Full Version : what do i do?

Nova1.6
04-11-02, 01:00 PM
right guys need ur help, ive recently brought new stuff for my 1.2i, alloys, suspension, interior, but i NEED a bigger engine, still sticking with a nova, do i spend my money and get a bigger engine put in my car, as the body work and that is in exc condition or do i sell mine, and not get money back on what i spent, and buy a gsi or gte or summit, sugestions plz guys.
Thanks
neil

wisewood
04-11-02, 01:06 PM
Get a 1.4SR lump in it and put your 1.2 head onto the 1.4 lump.

WIll give you more power - but not so much you will kill yourself, coz you know you would Neil. AND your insurance will be bearable.

Nova1.6
04-11-02, 01:24 PM
would there be alot of work for the mecanic that'll do it for to put a 1.4sr lump in it? How much, any idea of price would be helpfull, i dont know if its ?100 or ?1000.
Neil

wisewood
04-11-02, 01:47 PM
closer to 100 than 1000.
not that much work really.

read back through technical forum and see if you can find details on what's involved... not much too it, same engine really.

dave.gsi
04-11-02, 03:15 PM
sell it and buy a 1.4sr, u can pick them up for under a grand now, probably what you'll get for your 1.2. plus you don't have to explain the new engine to a retard insurance bloke.

wisewood
04-11-02, 03:49 PM
i would take the cheaper option Neil - swap the engine, explaining about it to insurance will be a bit ofa hassle but your nova is looking smart now, and with some extra oomph to back up the looks, will be sorted once you got it delocked and some skirts on it.

Dont chuck away all the money you spent on it.
Besides, I can't afford to buy it, and I want it when you're done :D

Nova1.6
04-11-02, 04:18 PM
to be honest andy u can buy it off me when u can afford it, if i can get moor omph outa it, bigger engine, then ill keep it for couple more years. liverpool victoria dont wanna know spesific engine mods only need to know if engine is modded, simple enough!
i phoned up about this, and with 1 yrs NCB and a 1.4 in it with engine swap and everything else(lowered exhausts spoilers tints ect...) it'll cost me ?680 to insure! not bad i think.
Neil

wisewood
04-11-02, 05:06 PM
you get the engine done mate - and i'll start saving my pennies.

Fester
04-11-02, 05:24 PM
yeah you know the car and are happy with it, lets face it its always a risk buying another car so u may as well stick with what youve got and take the cheaper option anyway

Nova1.6
04-11-02, 05:33 PM
so anyone know what gets replaced, i know nothing about wat goes into putting a 1.4sr 'lump' in so any tips of what happens would be great, and any kind idea on costs?

wisewood
04-11-02, 05:42 PM
THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT, AND MY KNOWLEDGE ON THIS SUBJECT IS LIMITED. dammit, caps lock.

You disconnect all the hoses and electrics from the 1.2 engine...
Get the thing hoisted out...
Lower in and connect up the 1.4 engine.

As I understand it all the bits and bobs are compatible and the gearbox is fine to use with it etc. Someone tell me I am wrong... go on... you know you want to.

:D

Chris LR
04-11-02, 07:18 PM
I know this isn't much help but........

As a newish Driver I'd be dangerous with anymore than a 1.4 SR, Remember you'll have to stop it, it's something mine doesn't like doing!!

Aragorn
05-11-02, 11:51 PM
he is running a 1.2i

that means he has an injection setup atm

u have 2 options

1. use the carbs with the old injection fuel pump and some kind of pressure regulator
2. get a full fuelling system from an SR - ie tank, piping, mechanical pump - this will prolly be EASIER in the long run but more hassle to install

the 1.2i head is the same as the later 1.4SR head - ie smaller square ports so u may as well leave your SR lump as it is

the only bit ive not worked out yet is the dizzy/coil

im guessing your best bet would be to strip it outta the same SR u get the engine from but make sure u get the wiring from the contact breaker to the coil cos thats the bit thats differing on the 1.2i (uses electronic timing from ECU)

the rest should be a piece of cake and should simply bolt up