PDA

View Full Version : Nova Gte engine problems

ash anderson
23-10-08, 11:15 PM
Hello people,
To Cut the Story short, i done 95 mile in my car today was running just above the minimum mark on the oil so baught a litre of oil just to bump it up,i got home and washed my car etc, the car stood for a good 2hours went to go back out it all started fine-done about 5 miles and my oil pressure guage was showing just off the red:confused:after about 4 miles i was quite confused as i had put fresh oil in earlier:S
The engine temprature was not going up either, Continued driving as i was in the middle of town at just past 5, came to a junction asif to idle and my engine wanted to cut out i didnt allow it i got it home in high revs, to find it very warm! but not showing on the guage. i left it cool, just been out to my car now the car will turn over but wont start the oil is a good way past the middle between min/max,
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

General Baxter
24-10-08, 09:51 AM
that needle is oil pressures not how much is in the engine

mowgli
24-10-08, 10:08 AM
sounds electrical if the gauges are reading funny & it won't start... maybe a bad earth somewhere..

matt_vaughan
24-10-08, 10:09 AM
Leak? Just a thought. lol (Scratch that, being silly, wouldn't have still had the right amount of oil in there lol)

Or gauge could be a gonner.

AlexW
24-10-08, 10:35 AM
Got any water in it?

ash anderson
24-10-08, 02:28 PM
the needle of the dipstick is showing just under 3 1/4 full when cold.
The oil pressure guage was nearly at the minimum just out of the red
had no water when i looked today:confused: no signs of gunk on the rocker cover cap :confused:

burgo
24-10-08, 02:35 PM
you only get gunk if the oil and water is mixing. it may be leaking into one of the cylinders. as for the oil pressure, which oil did you put in it??

meritlover
24-10-08, 02:36 PM
it sounds like theres no fuel in it. If your gauges are reading off then can you really trust the fuel level displayed?

craig green
24-10-08, 02:39 PM
Oil pressure will typically show dangerously low on the gauge when hot-idling in my experience. Maybe I used too thin an oil at times but, you should see good pressure on cold idle & a lower pressure on hot idle.

Something is amiss if you have run out of coolant though, top it back up & check the rad or coolant pipes arent leaking, then check the plugs for moisture when the engine is cold (unstarted) in the morning.

ash anderson
24-10-08, 02:41 PM
il go out and check now craig :thumb:
i put 10w by 40 part synthetic :wtf:

be back in a mo to update

craig green
24-10-08, 02:45 PM
10/40 is what ya want.

If the head gasket has blown, you often get moisture on the plug tips on a cold morning & usually find it fires on the 2nd turn due to the moisture.

meritlover
24-10-08, 02:46 PM
sounds like its cooked.

water might have come out a burst somewhere. if its ran like that for any reasonable amount of time the rings will be fried and the head could be cracked.

oil pressure will be low due to the thinned oil at scorching temp

ash anderson
24-10-08, 02:46 PM
ive just taken 2litres of water out in a jug-poured it in to the header talk it came out just as quick through a plastic cooling pipe around the back of the block:confused:
good point the petrol could be low, but i usually get 25mpg and i had 15qwid int he take and was on 67mile when i got home

would this blur have done my engine any damage?

burgo
24-10-08, 02:51 PM
depends how hot its got. best bet is get another hard pipe and fit it then see how it goes.

judging by what you said tho i would say you cooked it but you may have been lucky

craig green
24-10-08, 02:51 PM
Either that plastic pipe has cracked or split OR, theres a hose coming off it that has burst or come off.

Get a better look. If it overheated good & proper though, you will be better off looking out for a new lump tbh.

ash anderson
24-10-08, 03:03 PM
ok thanks evryone:thumb:
When i get some spare time, say 5ish i will get on with getting it off and let you know what condition its in is tehre any easy way to get this pipe off it looks in an awkward position?-am i likely to get one of these pipes new, anyone have a part number, or am i going to have to rumage at breakers yards

meritlover
24-10-08, 03:05 PM
hold your horses...
i wouldnt worry about the pipe just yet. with the engine cold, it should at least fire up and run normally. Water wont change how it runs, its just there to keep it cool. therefor, if it wont start without water, then replacing the pipe wont solve your problems im afraid

ash anderson
24-10-08, 03:12 PM
hold your horses...
i wouldnt worry about the pipe just yet. with the engine cold, it should at least fire up and run normally. Water wont change how it runs, its just there to keep it cool. therefor, if it wont start without water, then replacing the pipe wont solve your problems im afraid

ok i shall get some petrol and fire it up-HOPEFULLY
if it doesnt start then i take it the engine in knackerd

meritlover
24-10-08, 03:18 PM
after re-reading the first page, im more doubtfull of my first diagnosis.

however, best of luck

ash anderson
24-10-08, 04:08 PM
after re-reading the first page, im more doubtfull of my first diagnosis.

however, best of luck

i have started the car:thumb: it ifired up with me having to pump the throttle pedle but im going to get some more fuel,
If Anyone has any more help would be appreciated

meritlover
24-10-08, 04:26 PM
what more help do you need?

if it runs then get your leaks fixed and try it out. then come back and let us know how it got on.

ash anderson
24-10-08, 07:05 PM
what more help do you need?

if it runs then get your leaks fixed and try it out. then come back and let us know how it got on.

fixed the leek but it still seems to be leaking through the water pump :confused: is there anyway the water pump could have cracked ETC

burgo
25-10-08, 02:07 AM
what part of the pump?? its an internet forum!!! we cant see what you can so the best person to diagnose it is you. if its coming through the housing then it must be cracked

jimbob-mcgrew
25-10-08, 04:08 AM
can you see coolant dribbling down the side of the block coming from the base of the water pump ?
and that plastic hose, is that the L shaped one that runs round the back and side of the block ? deffo a split in it ?

meritlover
25-10-08, 09:45 AM
sounds strange you have 2 simultaneous failures. perhaps its just the water pump. you wont be able to see that clearly, but if its coming out the tell-tale hole on the bearing housing then the seals are U/S.

its a disposable item. but you can get them out of Halfrauds for a few pounds.

mowgli
25-10-08, 09:54 AM
if it suffered massive overheating & head gasket failure, it could feasibly be pushing water out of every joint.... check every pipe, refill the coolant, move the car to a dry & clean area & run it up again, so you can find every leak

turbo-boy
26-10-08, 11:23 AM
wrong oil maybe or oil pump on its way out.mates car went like that before starved the tappets with oil went of cylinders and stuff.hope you get it sorted

ash anderson
27-10-08, 03:43 PM
For the good bits
Oil presure back to normal now:thumb:
Car runs:thumb:
guages are fine:thumb:
filled car up with water,

now bad bits the car runs awfully lumpy havnt removed any sparkplugs to see what cylider its not running on-it does sound like it aint running on all 4

theres a couple of electricle plugs coming off the water pump, just behind them theres a slightly weird shapped o-ring (plastic) which i think is just about had it, were there is water leaking from behind it, theres abit of water leaking when the engine runs

craig green
27-10-08, 03:58 PM
Theres a 'O'ring on the oil pump to seal it. Hence the pump is leaking.

Lumpy idle could be air leaking in after the AFM. Any holes in the rubber inlet pipe?

ash anderson
27-10-08, 06:33 PM
Theres a 'O'ring on the oil pump to seal it. Hence the pump is leaking.

Lumpy idle could be air leaking in after the AFM. Any holes in the rubber inlet pipe?

can you buy these o rings from HALFRAUDS or somewere?
or do you have to replace the whole water pump?

Leeboo
27-10-08, 10:12 PM
Its probably worth replacing the water pump as its quite cheap.