PDA

View Full Version : Xe on twin 40s/45s

C14se
23-10-08, 01:53 AM
Have bin talking to my mate to nite about run twin 40s/45s on a Xe nova he said about getting it set up and he said i will have to keep paying out to get the carbs set up is they any way i can get the car to run nice all the time and not keep getting the carbs set up lol can any one help me thanks Jake
:thumb:

ck
23-10-08, 01:56 AM
once they are set up with the correct jets the only thing that you will have to do once every so often would be to check the balance of the carbs (the balancing tool is about £30)

i ran my sport twin 40's on the sr (only 1.3sr) but had the original jetting from factory and it ran perfect from day one, i never even got around to getting them balanced and they were still perfect..

Paul
23-10-08, 09:18 AM
if its setup well, not by Jimmy Cowboy, it will not need setting up again.

Stuart
23-10-08, 10:54 AM
crap carbs are the source of all these old wives tales!!! bent spindles from incorrect end stop/throttle pedal setup is the biggest problem that is the easiest to overlook etc.

oh and they are reasonably fuel efficient, just the noise is addictive so you deck it everywhere and get poo mpg lol

oh and also, 40's wont give you any more peak power, but they do bump up midrange torque which is always fun

C14se
23-10-08, 12:21 PM
just the noise is addictive so you deck it everywhere and get poo mpg

so i can deck it everywhere but just will not have no petrol left lol so as long as i keep spending £1000 on patrol i will be OK ya lol

craig green
23-10-08, 01:43 PM
You have to ask yourself if it is worth it though, Xe's go really well on the std injection & obviously have good manners & idling etc.

To get the carbs on will involve an inlet manifold, throttle cables, filters, probably a rebuild on the carbs or some spares, a Dizzy from a 1600 Cavlaier which isnt that common & not all that ideal tbh. They only really make good, worthwhile gains with hotter camshafts. Think hard before spending out on them IMO.

meritlover
23-10-08, 01:48 PM
crap carbs are the source of all these old wives tales!!! bent spindles from incorrect end stop/throttle pedal setup is the biggest problem that is the easiest to overlook etc.

agreed with Sturat. its the most common problem.
a carb should never go out of tune if its set up correctly. for instance, why would you suddenly need to change a jet all of a sudden when you havent touched the engine?

bad balancing and linkages are the worst problems, balancing can be done by ear with either a tube or a mercury gauge/simelar.

MARTIN KELSON
23-10-08, 06:35 PM
I've had no probblem's with the carbs on my XE.

If there set up correctly you will have no issues.

My Webber 48's & Weber Alpha ignition set up may be up for sale shortly if interested.

Martin

C14se
24-10-08, 12:56 AM
ya let me no wen it is up for sale thanks

C14se
24-10-08, 12:57 AM
dus any one no any one that is good at seting up cards than as i live about 2mins away from dartford (kent)

ck
24-10-08, 01:28 AM
also you want to be going for 45's atleast and not 40's. 40's will be ok on a standard engine but when it comes to tuning it the 45's would make way more power overall.

should still be nice and drivable on 45's set up correctly.

some of the main vauxhall tuning companys should be able to give u the information for the correct jets for a std xe, migth be worth a phone call around or an e-mail.

SBDev.co.uk have always been good when e-mailing them with great service and comments so maybe worth speaking to them..

Stuart
24-10-08, 06:12 PM
Track and Road in Rainham (ESSEX) are good, no idea if they do carbs, but it is run by old feckers so they must know lol

John
24-10-08, 09:20 PM
You have to ask yourself if it is worth it though, Xe's go really well on the std injection & obviously have good manners & idling etc.

To get the carbs on will involve an inlet manifold, throttle cables, filters, probably a rebuild on the carbs or some spares, a Dizzy from a 1600 Cavlaier which isnt that common & not all that ideal tbh. They only really make good, worthwhile gains with hotter camshafts. Think hard before spending out on them IMO.

Craig, H&h ignitions do a new full set up for the carbed xe for around £180. Ignition curves can be made to customers specs. Good value i reckon, and very reliable.
So far i reckon i've spent around £550 on my dellorto's/sbd inlet/facet pump/filter king reg/filtersocks/throttle linkage and cables/ignition set up. A set of cams will probably see it make around 175-180 bhp.

corsakid
26-10-08, 10:16 AM
love the carbs on my xe they only have out of balance once in 6 months and was my fault, mine at present idle straight away from cold when warm good fuel economy when driven easy, sound is mental, i spent around a 1000 pound on my setup could of bought a second hand set of t.b' etc for the same price, wouldnt bother with 40's to be honest go straight for 45's loads around try and get matching pair of carbs not essential but nice all the same