PDA

View Full Version : carbonfibre bootgrab handle

Gordon Livsey
21-10-08, 07:13 PM
im looking for info on who supplies carbonfibre bootgrab handles for novas, ive saw them on a few novas but cant seem to find any stockists, can anyone help

Gordon Livsey
21-10-08, 08:40 PM
bump anyone know

Graeme
21-10-08, 08:42 PM
Joff has one but I'm sure he said it was a group buy on Mig years ago. Sorry this is no help, I wouldn't mind one myself

Mike
21-10-08, 08:47 PM
Make one, its not hard!

adam c
21-10-08, 08:52 PM
there was a guy selling them on ebay.de i emailed him asking if he would ship to england but i had no reply?...and yes i emailed in german before anyone askslol

Gordon Livsey
23-10-08, 05:45 PM
Make one, its not hard!

how do i make one from carbonfibre when i dont have a clue how to make moulds or mix up resins etc with carbonfibre

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 05:50 PM
Try here: http://www.performancetrim.com/ I think this is the company that is making the carbon fibre bumpers.

Maybe get a quote for a group buy?

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 05:51 PM
Make one, its not hard!

For someone that has no skills in making moulds, dealing with resins and the carbon fibre itself, i'd say it was hard. You obviously are an expert so could give pointers on what would be required to make one?!:p

FUSION X16XE
23-10-08, 05:51 PM
:google:

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Laminating-Starter-Kit__CMCFLK300.aspx

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 05:55 PM
Good find that, added to my favourites. Still need to make a fibreglass mould though.

FUSION X16XE
23-10-08, 05:59 PM
Yer i didnt clock that till after i posted it lol

Have a look through there and it shows him making moulds of his car.

Would help if i put the link lol

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3277830

burgo
23-10-08, 06:23 PM
theres sooo many tutorials out there you cant go wrong really. i would recommend making a few fibreglass ones first to practice tho as its obviously much cheaper

Mike
23-10-08, 06:31 PM
how do i make one from carbonfibre when i dont have a clue how to make moulds or mix up resins etc with carbonfibre

Its only the same as mixing car body filler, the only tricky part is laying up the carbon twill and keeping the 2x2 pattern sqaure! You wont need a mould!

Becuase of the type of plastic the boot grab handle is made out of, you can overlay carbon twill onto it & once dry, you'll be able to prise it back off relativly easy.

Carbon twill is anything from £8 to £20 for half a SQM depending on its pattern and weight. (Heavy weight, lightweight)

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 06:34 PM
OK, so you make a shell as suggested above. How do you mount fixing points etc?!

Not trying to be difficult, i may get that kit that fusion linked to and have a bash myself!

Mike
23-10-08, 06:37 PM
This is the hard part, this is why its much easier to simply overlay the OE boot grab handle with Carbon strand. Strenght is retained, shape is retained and OE mounting point are retained.

I made a silver carbon steering shroud, took funking ages to complete and was a reet bast, i encountered the same issues. But when i made a pair of Carbon GSi style top door trims, they were complete carbon items, as they only slot under the window rubber/door carb.

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 06:38 PM
Ah, i see! May give it a go!! Mirror backs, interior bits... ooooh, getting all sorts of ideas now!

Mike
23-10-08, 06:50 PM
Ah, i see! May give it a go!! Mirror backs, interior bits... ooooh, getting all sorts of ideas now!

Its not that simple for show type peices!! Not that simple at all!! Once youve laid the item with wet twill, you need to vacum pack it so it leaves a pukka smooth finish (> this is the mega hard part!!)

Ill be doing a "How To Guide" soon on this subject (after christmas) as Ill be making a whole host of Carbon & Kevlar parts but for Peugeots :thumb:

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 06:56 PM
Look forward to a guide. Peugeots... traitor!! lol;)

Mike
23-10-08, 06:58 PM
Look forward to a guide. Peugeots... traitor!! lol;)

Pug rally cars are far more sucessful then GM ones though :p

burgo
23-10-08, 06:59 PM
you can just flat and polish it for a good finish

Mike
23-10-08, 07:02 PM
you can just flat and polish it for a good finish

You can, but as soon as theres a bubble/s in the resin, it looks pap!

burgo
23-10-08, 07:07 PM
of course all this flatting and stuff is avoided if you use a mould and then gel coat as the top layer

Mike
23-10-08, 07:12 PM
of course all this flatting and stuff is avoided if you use a mould and then gel coat as the top layer

^This is true lol

On another note, I still have my mould for Mk2 steering shrouds :thumb:

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 07:15 PM
Get making then! I'd buy a set!

Gordon Livsey
23-10-08, 10:54 PM
just sent performance trim an email about prices and possible group buy for anyone on here interested

C14se
24-10-08, 01:01 AM
www.performancetrim.com (http://www.performancetrim.com) he will make you one but not Shaw how much it will be

burgo
24-10-08, 02:22 AM
gte boi can you read?? the reason i ask is he has already posted that he has emailed them so why would you tell him to contact them again??

and its sure not shaw

Gordon Livsey
24-10-08, 10:29 PM
got a bit of a fright regarding the price of one there lol. for a group buy of 20+ people you would be talking 150 quid each. just goes to show how much it would cost to have only one made. price was given to me but i aint posting it up due to the fact nobody will believe me. SERIOUSLY lol

think i will just stick to making up smooth boot grab handles instead