PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fitting LED's

Adam Moran
02-11-02, 05:56 PM
I'm not very good with circuts so heres the question - i want to fit 2 LED's in my splitter - i got the LED's and the resiters and i want to wire them up to my side lights. How do i do this?

+ ______ resiter ______ ___led
_ ___________________ ___led

i guessing something like that?

AJ

scubafreak
02-11-02, 06:27 PM
R U sure U've got the correct value resistors for the LEDs (very important else LEDs will blow) U need to know which leg is + & which is -ve on LED. Connect one side of resistor to +ve supply from side lights & other side to +ve side of Led. Then connect -ve side of LED to gnd

ade
03-11-02, 10:34 PM
to work out which is the negative on the led, there should wither be a flat spot on the bottom of the led's casing (if round it'll have a flat edge next to one of the legs) or there will be a flat square in one of the legs, or one of the legs will be longer than the others.

Wot voltage is the led and wot resister value do you have.

Ade

Adam Moran
04-11-02, 07:49 AM
right i think the LED is 3.3v somthing like that and the resiter is 330? Got the bloke in Maplins to work it out for me cause i wasnt sure how to work it out. Any one know whitch wire is live on the side lights? black n grey or brown?

ade
04-11-02, 03:26 PM
brown is usually earth

Check with haynes for definate...

Adam Moran
04-11-02, 07:26 PM
Cheers Ade!

Chris LR
04-11-02, 08:12 PM
The longest leg of an LED should be +
I thought Brown was Live or +, Side repeaters have a brown and black wire and black has to be - or a negative earth return.

I could be speaking b*ll*x so feel free to ignore me

Stuart
04-11-02, 11:10 PM
LEDs are uauslly 2V
and draw around 10-20mA

12-2=10V

R=V/I

R=10/20
R=500Ohms

simple huh :D