PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable/pedal

NovaGuy1400SRi
21-10-08, 12:36 PM
Am i right in thinking there should be a clip to hold the clutch cable to the clutch pedal?

I realised my clutch cable doesnt have a clip the other day when i had my hand up the back of the dash trying to route the speedo cable!

Dod
21-10-08, 12:52 PM
Yeah. Your clutch cable has a flattened "S" shape mechanism to hold it into the Clutch pedel and a small l_l shaped clip to slide over it to stop the cable moving around and coming out again.

Shaun_O'Donnell
21-10-08, 12:53 PM
The return spring on the pedal acts as the cable retainer.

craig green
21-10-08, 02:22 PM
It is possible for a previous muppet to have re-installed it incorrectly & the spring not be doing its job with the cable end.

I have to say though, my least favourite job on a Nova is messing about with the clutch cable, esp under the dash.

NovaGuy1400SRi
23-10-08, 01:37 PM
ah, i checked the car yesterday, the pedal return spring was there but wasnt where it should be, so i put it round to the hole where the cable goes onto the pedal, and it pushed the pedal up to the stop, where i dont think it should have been, so i've undone it again until i find out.

Don't think i've worded that too well but not changing it now lol

craig green
23-10-08, 01:45 PM
Mine was incorrectly installed for ages, I couldnt get it right mainly because the access down there when on your back is awfull, but when I had the dash out, I worked it out & assembled it properly.

Getting the spring to locate the cable end is tricky & seems like you are over stretching the spring, but it will reach.

NovaGuy1400SRi
23-10-08, 01:47 PM
yeah i stretched it round, but it pushed the pedal right up to the pedal stop, sat a couple of inches higher than the brake pedal.