PDA

View Full Version : Co-axial vs component

Jcb
21-10-08, 12:45 AM
after a quick search i can't find much info on this. basically, what's the difference between the two types of circular speaker?

Jack
21-10-08, 12:50 AM
Coax is a speaker on its own.

Components are a set of speakers & tweeters.

Check first two categories here (http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/subcategories/c_path/60/spd/speakers---subs.html)

Stoo
21-10-08, 12:51 AM
co axial has both tweeter and midrange/bass on one frame

components are exactly that
seperate tweeter and midrange components
usually with a crossover too

NovaLad
21-10-08, 12:53 AM
I would always choose components over co-ax because you can move about the tweeters and speaker separately to get the best SQ...

But with co-ax you can't as it's got the tweeter built in.

Jcb
21-10-08, 12:53 AM
does this generally mean that components give better sound quality having two speakers in one?

Stoo
21-10-08, 12:54 AM
no your mixed up
components are seperate
hence better

Jcb
21-10-08, 12:57 AM
ah i see, the bass driver, and then the tweeter as a seperate unit! i was wondering why the prices were a bit higher for a decent set of components.

next question, just looking for opinions...

i have a 2x75w amp (or 1x150 obviously) the two options are getting a little sub to put in the boot which will run happily off the amp bridged.

OR

get a decent set of COMPONENTS which will take a rated power of 75w and run the front speakers from the amp instead?

Stoo
21-10-08, 01:01 AM
wats the power out put of your HU?

Jcb
21-10-08, 01:02 AM
4x50w MAX so thats about what, 10w RMS?

Stoo
21-10-08, 01:03 AM
25 or so

tbh your opening a huge can of worms here

Jcb
21-10-08, 01:08 AM
:S oh, i won't ask. how about... what would you do with the choices given. so aside scrap the lot and get all new stuff... i just want it to sound half decent while keeping the budget down. either way, the only purchase i'll make is either a sub to run off the amp bridged, or a good set of components to run off the amp normally.

whether you deem yourself an expert in this or not, i'm really only learning, so your advice is valuable and well listened!

thanks

Stoo
21-10-08, 01:11 AM
well, on a budget

run the co axs off the HU and run bridged amp for the sub

or

get another amp for the sub, and run the co axs off your existing amp

Jcb
21-10-08, 01:16 AM
thanks for your advice and experience. from what you suggested then, i think what i will do, is like said, replace the fronts with good components running from the current amp. then just save a bit for a good sub/amp combo for a later date!

thanks again mate

Stoo
21-10-08, 01:17 AM
good idea mate

always buy the best you can afford too
and dont scrimp on cabling

NovaLad
21-10-08, 01:18 AM
If you can afford it... run a sub off 1 amp... components on another all depending on how many outputs you have.

Jcb
21-10-08, 01:20 AM
ah, now you mention it, my HU does only have 1 preout... hmm...

Stoo, when you say about cabling, is that power/RCA cables to the amp or speaker cable from amp to speaker? i've heard some talk about having thicked speaker cable in the past. is this related?

NovaLad
21-10-08, 01:21 AM
Just get a Y splitter for that output.

But TBH you need to invest in a better HU before anything.

Jcb
21-10-08, 01:26 AM
the current one is a Kenwood KDC something or other. what's it lacking that another HU would provide? i went and bought the iPod connectivity for it too :(

NovaLad
21-10-08, 01:31 AM
Well TBH a HU with 1 output must be pretty old as most come with atleast 2 these days at a guess.

Just look on ebay for a cheap second hand alpine with about 2 or 3 outputs as then you can run your sub/amp through 1 output then your other amp/components through another output...

I got 1 of the newest ones for £80 quid on there not long ago and it's worth about £250 brand new... it looks like new also.

If you want any help just go on ebay and find about 3 you like and link them to me via PM and i'll tell you what's best.

Jcb
21-10-08, 01:34 AM
heres to hoping i can find a newer kenwood one which my £55 ipod adapter fits!

thanks for the offer mate, i've got to take stock of the pennies and i'll see what i can spend. as is always the case, you look into doing something and find you need at least double the amount of kit and cost that you first thought!