PDA

View Full Version : What colour should i do the rim/center cap?

Tidy Max
20-10-08, 09:56 PM
yo folks

What colour do i reckon i should do the rim and center caps of these?

Black? Silver? all suggestions welcome!!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/mtmo25/pict0116-1.jpg

sorry about the bad picture, i took it completely in the dark didnt come out very well!

Benn
20-10-08, 10:01 PM
Oooo they are nice. I'd colour code it to the car, and polish the lips right up.

Pistol Pete
20-10-08, 10:13 PM
What he said ^

Get those lips polished up! What colour is your car?

Tidy Max
20-10-08, 10:19 PM
thanks thats the first one ive done, took alot of work, my cars black, i have done a black center cap already (its very dusty in the bottom right hand corner of the pic)

its magnesium so it oxidises like buggery, apparently i could really go for it, get athe best shine possible, then clear coat/laquer it with this stuff frost make, and that way it wont oxidise... but im not sure lol

so you reckon black rim and cap then?

(this is how they looked http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104798&page=3)

Pistol Pete
20-10-08, 10:21 PM
Polish the rim up first see what it looks like. I'd do the whole centre, cap 'n all, black.

Tidy Max
20-10-08, 10:23 PM
what and not have them white? i likethem white haha, took me ages that lol

Benn
20-10-08, 10:54 PM
Yeah whole inner bit black, deffo polish the outer lip, if i wasnt 5stud i'd wanna buy them.

Jack
21-10-08, 12:27 AM
And do the inner rim white all the way round!

Dod
21-10-08, 10:18 AM
Do the centres of the rim Dark Grey and put a black centre badge with red detail on them, I guarentee it will look the shizzle!!

Tidy Max
21-10-08, 05:44 PM
you garuantee this do you sir? lol

yeah, its hard to decide, oh so hard :( they don't even fit, im planning a trip over to wide wheels but im going to have to lower my car before i go there!

i might do one wheel of each to see which looks best lol

Dod
21-10-08, 05:48 PM
Yes mate, I do guarentee it or your money back.

Yeah Ideally you wanna lower it fully before you set to work on the arches, but ideally its not going to be aDIY job but a Pro job. Try and get a well Reputed shop to do it or ask some of the Pros in here to give you a price! It might mean a bit of Traveling but could be worth it....

Tidy Max
21-10-08, 09:19 PM
www.wide-wheels.co.uk

they seem to be the pros, sounds like a good and proper service, onnloy 42 miles, arches rolled pulled and flaired for 130 all corners!

i just don't know wether it will look good, but its so incredibly tempting lol

Dod
21-10-08, 11:24 PM
Mate, at that money its a no brainer!! Go with that, if you dont like it, sell the car!! Do they know they'll be stretching the arches though?

Tidy Max
22-10-08, 06:15 PM
do they know they will?

ive not spoken to them as of yet because somewhere on the site it says theres no point until you have the wheels you want and the desired ride height already sorted on the car!!

i assume your checking because arch stretching takes more time/effort meaning more money? but there price list seems to cover that? i dont REALLY rully know the difference between, flairing, rolling and pulling, i understand the different methods involved, at least between rolling and pulling anyway (i think i do anyway, the pics seem to explain!) but not too sure about what flairing entails,

care to explain the 3 to me please sir dod (see what i did there, i spelt your name backwards)?

Nova_Tek
23-10-08, 11:46 AM
Personally I'd have the caps white. As everyone has said polish up them rims nice.

Tidy Max
23-10-08, 02:03 PM
cheers novaT ive done one of the caps white and one black, do you think i should keep the spokes white?

i totally stripped them down with the intention of doing total polished lip (outer and deepdish bit) white spokes and black centers

After doing one (not completed but get the general jist of how it will look) i had doubts, thus this thread lol i just cant make up my mind, im being a whiny little bitch really haha, thanks for the advice!

my main problem with polishing is that they are mag alloy and will oxidise, v.v.quick, my mate works in a magnesium foundry and he bought me a little piece of scrap back, i polished it errr on monday nite?? and its well on its way to mankyness already!

Tidy Max
23-10-08, 02:04 PM
black with metal flake holograms

which bit? lip, deep dishy bit, spokes, or centers, be specific people :) :) haha

thanks for the advice mate, how do you go about painting that?

Nova_Tek
23-10-08, 10:15 PM
cheers novaT ive done one of the caps white and one black, do you think i should keep the spokes white?

i totally stripped them down with the intention of doing total polished lip (outer and deepdish bit) white spokes and black centers

After doing one (not completed but get the general jist of how it will look) i had doubts, thus this thread lol i just cant make up my mind, im being a whiny little bitch really haha, thanks for the advice!

my main problem with polishing is that they are mag alloy and will oxidise, v.v.quick, my mate works in a magnesium foundry and he bought me a little piece of scrap back, i polished it errr on monday nite?? and its well on its way to mankyness already!

What colour is the car. I do like the slight deep dish style rims and not seen many on a Nova. With the center caps do one in white and one in black then take pics see whats best but a total white rim would nicer then one with white spokes and black centers, just my opinion.

At the end of the day the colour of the rim depends on the colour of the car and what suits best.

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 10:22 PM
His car is black.

Tidy Max
24-10-08, 09:42 AM
ive already taken the pictures mate, took them next to my car aswell, just need to put them on! will do it tonight!

Tidy Max
24-10-08, 05:04 PM
Check these bad boys out forum slices :)
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/mtmo25/pict0118.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/mtmo25/pict0119.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/mtmo25/PICT0122.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/mtmo25/pict0120.jpg

Pistol Pete
24-10-08, 05:13 PM
White with white cap with polished lip FTW.

Tidy Max
24-10-08, 08:16 PM
haha thanks mate :) anyone else?

Nova_Tek
24-10-08, 09:50 PM
Deffo white on white with a polished rim, if you can sort out the oxidisation issue.

Benn
24-10-08, 10:11 PM
They look like vaux center caps.... Do you like the big nut bit?

Tidy Max
24-10-08, 11:02 PM
i love big nuts mate lol

err yeah its alright, hadnt give much thought to it really! why what would my other options be? i have considered fitting vaux badges to the center of the cap, but im not too sure! what do you reckon?

and NovaT, how can i sort the oxidisation issue? clear coat/laquer? if so any tried and tested methods mate! thanks very much lads

Graeme
24-10-08, 11:07 PM
Black centres, polished lip and a big drop

Benn
25-10-08, 08:23 AM
and NovaT, how can i sort the oxidisation issue? clear coat/laquer? if so any tried and tested methods mate! thanks very much lads

You'll need a specail lacquar thats not cheap. as it bonds tp polish surfaces.
But it can be a real kunt wo work with, hence why i didnt do mine.
Just keep them washed clean and dryed. Lots of wax over them and a polish with a good metal polish once a month.

Nova_Tek
25-10-08, 10:28 AM
Just keep them washed clean and dryed. Lots of wax over them and a polish with a good metal polish once a month.

Id go with that ^ Benn knows what he's on about when it comes to paint (check out his wheels if you havent already) Means it needs more TLC than normal but still well worth it.

Tidy Max
25-10-08, 11:08 AM
coo, yeah ive heard that frost make some of the polishing sticking clear coat, apparently you can brush it on and it doesnt leave brush strokes, buts its about 40quid for a tiny tub, BUT that tiny tub would do all 4 wheels, thanks for all your advice, and i will check out benns car, but now, i thinik im off to the zoo lol

brainsnova
25-10-08, 11:14 AM
if it oxidises you ll have to sand it all of anyway so polishing once a month is the answer.

Tidy Max
25-10-08, 11:18 AM
ahh good point, well il fully polish them using my friends metal polishing kit, he forked out aload for it and has LOADS of crazy shaped attatchments for drills/dremels etc and has alot of buffering attatchments and compounds to, once ive done that, what would the monthly polish entail, a good rub down with a soft cloth and some compound?

Pistol Pete
25-10-08, 12:52 PM
Pretty much, yeah. Autosol or something like that should be fine.

Benn
26-10-08, 12:55 PM
once ive done that, what would the monthly polish entail, a good rub down with a soft cloth and some compound?

Just buffing over them with a good metal polish on a cloth will do fine.