PDA

View Full Version : Stripping paint off wheels, panels and spoiler?

AlexW
19-10-08, 03:33 PM
Whats the best way to remove paint from the above?

My set of steel wheels have been sanded down 50% of the surface but are still painted in the corners etc. I tried some old paint stripper i had but it didnt seem to work very well, but im going have another go soon.

Ive got a used bonnet that needs to be striped back to the bare metal, paint stipper seems to work well on this but whats the best thing to do about the rust in inaccessible areas?

Finaly my Gsi spoiler has been a few colours and i was wondering if there is an easyer way than sanding? its only rubber so im not even thinking about using paint stripper.

Thanks.

ade
19-10-08, 08:47 PM
if its a mk2 spoiler then its not rubber but a special composite plastic (forget the name of it) - just use paint stripper.

I'd watch paint stripper on panels as it can buckle thin areas (apparently)

TBH for panels just use an orbital sander (you can get the bog standard sanders for about a tenner from B&Q) and some 120 grit. No need to go down to bare metal unless youre removing rust - just feather around rusted areas. Prime and spray in the new colour.

Wheels wise use a dremmel or similar with a sanding attachment... or a drill with a wire brush/paint removing attchment. Come in various sizes should be able to get into nooks and fannies...

CoolTiger
19-10-08, 09:08 PM
get a sander out 180 grit there you go :)

Benn
19-10-08, 09:22 PM
Nitomores( paint stripper) the wheels. Sand the rest.
You can paint striper the metal pannels wont hurt them.
Dont paint strip any plastics or rubbers tho (spoiler)

Andy
19-10-08, 09:33 PM
Nitro-Mors contaminates metal.Its a ballache getting it all off.Just flat it down again then paint

Benn
19-10-08, 09:35 PM
Nitro-Mors contaminates metal.Its a ballache getting it all off.Just flat it down again then paint

Erm since when? I've used it time and time again on cars at the bodyshop.
Simple wipe off the left overs and then clean off with a degreaser.

Andy
19-10-08, 09:40 PM
Ive been told by a few people it contaminates it? dunno how true it is,but one this is for sure it makes a right mess and takes ages!

Tidy Max
19-10-08, 09:52 PM
nah nitromors for the win, ive done mine with nitro, says its suitable for cars/metal on the tin!! its good stuff

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104798&page=3&highlight=maxs

Benn
19-10-08, 10:31 PM
Ive been told by a few people it contaminates it? dunno how true it is,but one this is for sure it makes a right mess and takes ages!

Used it loads when doing old and newer cars when working in the bodyshop, think they either mean something else or have not cleaned it off right.

white2lSR
20-10-08, 10:51 AM
Dont take panels back ot bare metal as they will corrode instantly. Just flat the paint down

Benn
20-10-08, 08:19 PM
Dont take panels back ot bare metal as they will corrode instantly. Just flat the paint down

Not if you etch primer them stright away.