PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp motors

Graeme
19-10-08, 03:26 PM
After spending the last couple of months sorting out all the things that didn't work on my new daily driver, the only thing I can't get to work are the headlamp motors. Ive changed the motors, the switch, checked all the fuses and even checked all the cables, where I can get to, Its only poverty spec but I think that everything is present and correct for it to work, I am also aware that they only work when the lights are on but I've got nothing
Please help???

jimbob-mcgrew
19-10-08, 07:30 PM
they not working at all ?

u checked the connector for the switch to see if your getting a good earth and a power source when the dip beams are turned on. earth on the motor side circuit too.

you dont have the connector for the switch upside down do ya ? it plugs in both ways and if i remember on mine.. reversed the direction of the motors depending which ways its plugged in.

Graeme
19-10-08, 07:42 PM
I've checked the feed and they are present but i don't know if there correct but it illuminates when I put the lights on

jimbob-mcgrew
19-10-08, 08:29 PM
hmm check see if your getting any juice down the wires to the connectors that plug on the motors

Graeme
19-10-08, 08:48 PM
I've not done a continuety test yet not sure on the cicuit set up. Is it a feed to the switch and then to the motors? Should I be looking for apple or orange juice?

Benn
19-10-08, 09:26 PM
You cant plug the wiring in the wrong way, the clips on the plug are different sizes, do the motors work when not in the headlights? (remembering you need the ingnion on to work them)

jimbob-mcgrew
20-10-08, 01:12 AM
i was gonna say orange, but depending on what time of the morning.. if its early youll deffo be needing some apple juice.

im not sure on the electrical flow graeme, but im fairly sure theve got constant power when the dipped beam is turned on (regardless of what the switch is set to), because when the switch is pulled out from the connector the motors automatically drop to thier lowest setting.

benn, i was on about the control switch and connector, not the headlight side if thats what your thinking of ? its got a symetrical spade connector pattern with a plastic locating lug in the centre, the switch can go on both ways, u know when its wrong tho, cos up makes the lights go down and vice-versa.

might be worth trying out the testing phase with the switch both in and out, and check your getting power and earth at both headlight connectors.
sounds like there might be a possible break or a bad earth somewhere along the line.

edit : im scanning the memory now, trying my best to remember the wiring layout under the bonnet... 3 wires going to each motor connector, one is linked to the dipped beam, that must be the constant power (once headlights are on obviously) and each side runs seperate earths located nearby to each connector, and the last wire must branch from the control switch down thru the loom. so in theory if everythings good, upon testing, you should get power and earth thru 2 of the 3 pins, and when the switch is operated, something should happen in the leftover pin, whether it be sending power, or cutting it temporarily im not sure. hope u can figure something out mate.

Graeme
20-10-08, 11:12 AM
Rep added for that post. I tried it last night when Benn said the ignition needed to be on and the lights on obviously and still nothing. I also tried spinning the switch over and had my power-probe on the motor connector and had a live and an earth but nothing on the middle pin. I've not yet tried feeding it a voltage due to not wanting to damage anything but I might give it a try. I've tried three different motors now and three switches so I'm starting to loose patients slightly with it. Starting to think it one of them things I'm going to have to live without, which is something I should be used to after owning Novas for so long. I know they serve no really purpose, I just like things to work rather than putting up with something broken

craig green
20-10-08, 11:22 AM
More hassle than they are worth tbh.

Set them up, then disconnect them IMO.

Benn
20-10-08, 07:55 PM
Ah ok jimbo. Did wonder which bit you ment.

Craig they are easy to do, i've neverhad a prob with them.

Graeme
20-10-08, 08:15 PM
Tried a fourth switch tonight, so it got to be the motors I'm going to try and find some more to try
Cheers for all the help

jimbob-mcgrew
20-10-08, 09:01 PM
before u change the motors, under the bonnet steady a light tester thats rigged up on the leftover pin and try the switch on the dash, see if u can see it light up thru the windscreen or whever u can get an eye on it. if no orange juice thru either of those.. the problem must be in the wires that run down from the switch, if u pop the switch out the dash with the connector, with a light tester in the back of the connector while your moving the switch, see which wires respond to that, i think itll be the white or white and yellow one(s) forget the colours.
did that make sense ? lol

Graeme
20-10-08, 09:09 PM
Yeah I sort of understand I'll get straight on it tomorrow after work, I've got a light tester and a power probe so fingerscrossed. If I have no joy are you alright to come and take a look, its only three hours each way from me to you?

jimbob-mcgrew
20-10-08, 09:25 PM
heheh .. joker
you know, as far away as it is, if i had a car and the petrol money i might actually think about it.. as im so friggin bored at this point in my life you wouldnt believe, its distgusting. but on second thoughts, probably best if i stay away, cos youll come back to find that ive stripped all the wiring out and thrown the dash and back seats away.

Graeme
20-10-08, 09:29 PM
I like your honesty, I'm sure it will get sorted one way or another, cheers for all the help :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: