PDA

View Full Version : Clutch?

sulphur
18-10-08, 08:59 PM
How can you tell if your clutch is on the way out? :confused: Is the bite really high or what?

Asa-James
18-10-08, 09:01 PM
get on a half decent hill, drop to second at about 20 and floor it. if the revs go nuts but the speedo/wheels do nothing, i'd say its pretty funked. a high bite point might just want adjusting...

sulphur
18-10-08, 09:06 PM
Are they easy to adjust? How would I go about it, just simply by tightening the cable or what? lol

Rexy
18-10-08, 10:00 PM
yeah just needs the cable adjusting. you will tell if its slipping straigh away it will rev a lot more freely but not actually go anywhere lol.

Rich
18-10-08, 10:15 PM
Pull away in second if it grips and goes should be ok.

To adjust the clutch pedal, look on the arm on the gearbox. Pull the cable towards you and wind on the little plastic block further to adjust the pedal up, move it out to lower the pedal down. Might be the other way around so you will have to look where the pedal is after you adjust it

Dave.
18-10-08, 10:40 PM
get on a half decent hill, drop to second at about 20 and floor it. if the revs go nuts but the speedo/wheels do nothing, i'd say its pretty funked. a high bite point might just want adjusting...

never heard that before.. might be worth a try with mines :thumb:

i might need a enw oen soon, wheelspun from reverse to 1st today (by accident.. honestly) and had that lovely burnign smell lol

Adam
18-10-08, 11:05 PM
You put it in a high gear to test the cluch, not 2nd.

Get to 20/25mph, and put it in 4th/5th, then floor it. If the clutch is fooked the engine revs will rise without your speed changing.

BRoadGhost
18-10-08, 11:19 PM
High biting point is a myth imo, mine used to be on the floor all day long until the clutch failed on the outside lane, 4 lanes across at a set of lights; no warning at all :)

Adam
18-10-08, 11:35 PM
The biting point on mine has always been high, and it was a brand new clutch

sulphur
19-10-08, 12:04 AM
Only asking cos the bite is like maybe 1 1/2 inch from fully out,just thought it was abnormally high. Heard that when its high means clutch might be going.I'll try the high gear floor it thing tomorrow, hopefully clutch is a-ok
cheers lads :thumb:

edens-xe
19-10-08, 12:16 AM
Only asking cos the bite is like maybe 1 1/2 inch from fully out,just thought it was abnormally high. Heard that when its high means clutch might be going.I'll try the high gear floor it thing tomorrow, hopefully clutch is a-ok
cheers lads :thumb:
that usually happens on cars with hydraulic clutches, most of them are self adjusting, when the biting point gets high on them, then you know its on its way out.
it doesnt really count on cars with cable clutches like yours, but can be adjusted at the gearbox end.:thumb:

Spudly
19-10-08, 02:44 PM
Also another noticable sign of your clutch being on its way out is diffculty selecting gears, mainly reverse to start with it will always be notchy and or crunch going in.

And sometimes you find if you gear down at junctions to engine brake if you go for first whilst still rolling it will be really hard to get into, if it even goes in, i had both gear selection probs on my cav a long time before i had any clutch slippage!

MK999
19-10-08, 03:52 PM
Looks like i'm in for a new clutch soon then, reckon it'll last erm, 8 months? lol:(

Asa-James
19-10-08, 04:55 PM
if you dont drive it, i dont see why not

Spudly
19-10-08, 05:06 PM
I first noticed problems with mine going on towards 6-8months back now i think about it but you just cant tell with clutches as they all differ, mine was down to the rivets and so smooth it was shiny so there was nothing left on it but it still drove but ive had them with a fair bit of life in them and theyve just snapped and died a horrible death lol

MK999
19-10-08, 05:14 PM
fair enough, it's only a 1.2i and it's not exactly road rallying, hopefully it'll last year as i should be looking at a bigger engine next year hopefully :)