PDA

View Full Version : sensible power claim / Guestimation

mikeoxford
01-11-02, 12:43 AM
before gettin on the rollers at velos, im tryin to guesstimate how much horses me car will be looking at

standard healthy 1.4sr engine your talkin 72 bhp right? (its a j-plater and is rebuilt) - before rebuild it had 79k sommat on the clocks, well looked after - serviced every year at vaux from new

the only earth shattering work done to date is as follows:

1400SR engine,
1.3 ported and ploished head,
Weber Twin 40 DCOE carburettors,
Kent AST2 Sports 'R' Cam Kit,
Mongoose stainless steel exhaust 3.5" bore exhaust system front to back.

possibility of a manifold if anyone thinks its worth it........? should i buy a mongoose one? or any one?

does having the pipercross sock filters on the trumpets make any difference to BHP? apart from the obvious - filtering the air, do they do anything else? are they restrictive? should i be looking at a different filter method?

how much do twin 40s add do people reckon? on their own like?

thanks all

mikeoxford
01-11-02, 12:47 AM
looking on the kent cam website the ast2 cam claims to have a 12bhp power gain, although ill wait n see what you guys reckon ;)

mikeoxford
01-11-02, 01:29 AM
tell you what - closest wins a prize - anything out of my garage bar the fruit machine, my car, and the antique cast iron bath sunk into the ground for a pit :D

if your on the dot - well ill be suprised LOL :lol:

ade
01-11-02, 11:33 AM
I reckon 104bhp! (I've revised my guess from 98)

Total guess as I have no idea at all what those mods are capable of but if it means winning summut from yer garage I'm up for it! As long as its not the dust and sh1te off the floor!

:D

Matt Finary
01-11-02, 11:51 AM
116bhp 8)

Matt

Austin_Nova16
01-11-02, 01:49 PM
defo sort yourself out a decent 4 branch manifold. Without this, you'll be holding alot of horses back!

cornish
01-11-02, 05:11 PM
Ditto on getting the 4-brancher.

I'm, hoping for about 90ish at the wheels from my engine - 1400SR, 1.3SR head (ported & polished with larger valves and waisted inlet valve stems) Courtenay Hi-Torq Cam, Janspeed 4 branch manifold with full straight through system, and of course 40's :)

mikeoxford
01-11-02, 06:08 PM
lol just pmed cornish and austin to get there asses in gear and put a guesstimation down! :lol: :lol:

lol real reason was to ask about what manifold they reckon - anyone else have an opinion on f@nnymoulds?

come on guys! more guestimation or ade may win the sega megadrive (with 42 games may i add!) or the black and decker work mate!!!!

Slatter
01-11-02, 06:12 PM
when u say 72 as standard.......... is that at wheels or flywheel

mikeoxford
01-11-02, 06:17 PM
im unsure - i THINK wheels

in the table i have got, it reports 1.4 as 72

1.4 sri as 82 and gte / gsi as 101 so amake your own opinion as i dont know really im afraid :( sorry - i guess ill c on the day really, just thought the guesstimation thing could be fun, and also the chance to empty my garage hwhehe :lol: :lol: :twisted:

cornish
01-11-02, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure those figures are at the fly.

90 at the wheels :)

mikeoxford
01-11-02, 09:32 PM
so if a nova gte or gsi is 101 at the flywheel - what we talking at the wheels??

hopefully about 90 the same?

i am HOPING with little work after what i have already i may be able to play with gte and gsis and maybe saxos on quater mile days and 0-60 strips..... whatya reckon?

KEEP THEM BETS COMING IN!!!

Dicko
02-11-02, 12:41 AM
got a question, and you would not believe how much difference it makes.

you say you have a ported+polished head? where was the work carried out, and how many miles ago. if not done corectly ( i only know of 2 places) it can reduce torque/bhp!!

going along wit hit being a good one, make sure the filters are OFF while its on the rolling road, id say you should be knocking out 115-120bhp at the fly, so like 95bhp at the wheels!!

ade
02-11-02, 10:33 AM
COOL! :D sega mega drive is wicked! not played one of them for AGES!

LOL!

I miss my Dragon 32!
:cry:

Slatter
02-11-02, 12:11 PM
I dont agree with dicko there...

I think a standard 1.4 sr has about 75 bhp at FLYWHEEL

A 1.3 SR is 70bhp @ FLYWHEEL

So at flywheel i recon u will be looking at 105bhp - 110 bhp tops

i got twin 40's on my standard engine and it took it up to 82 bhp just with them on

Austin_Nova16
02-11-02, 02:02 PM
The janspeed manifold which cornish has it defo one to consder........i recon again, it will come out at around 85 -90 at the wheels.