PDA

View Full Version : Feel stupid but what do these lights mean?

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 03:32 PM
I know one of them is my engine management light but i dont know what the other one is and more so i dont know what either of them mean!

i realise this is v.basic stuff but well, if you dont know it you just dont know it do you!

Both lights tend to come on at the same time after about 30 minutes if driving SOMETIMES, this doesnt happen on all of my journeys, probably about 50% of them actually! Any helps appreciated! Thanks very much in advance!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/mtmo25/DSCF2611.jpg

stevie-p
18-10-08, 03:36 PM
look in the manual it will tell you

Dave.
18-10-08, 03:43 PM
are they fitetd into a nova that ahd single speedo clocks as standard? or with an auto choke?

they came on on mine when the choke was in operation.. mgiht find the chokes not fully off or the auto ones kicking in?

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 03:48 PM
ive got an auto choke, and yes its a 1.2i with gsi clocks! Thanks for your help matey :) if it is the choke, whats that mean in relation to affecting the engine and how would i go about resolving it! ta pal

Dave.
18-10-08, 04:06 PM
nothing. mine used to come on when i used the choke.

i removed the engine management bulb, but i suppose you could just live with it

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 04:08 PM
nah thats fine, i was just worried somethings wrong that was all! nice one mate :)

Dave.
18-10-08, 04:08 PM
saying that, your engines warm in that pic, so their would be no need for the choek to come on. thats a wiered one that

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 04:10 PM
hmmm, anyone any further ideas?

Spudly
18-10-08, 07:01 PM
The engine management light and choke light are on the same circuit board on the clocks, carb cars with a choke have a choke light dont need the ecu light so the bulb simply isnt fitted by vaux, and vice versa.

If you pull out the clocks and trace the metal strip on the membrane on the clocks rear you will see they are on the same feed.

Whoever has fitted your clocks has put a bulb in both holders, remove the choke one as your spi has an ecu/light, it simply means your ecu light is on mate so somethings not quite right under there!

chimp007_uk
18-10-08, 07:12 PM
as said, choke and ecu light, flash off the codes and find out whats wrong. looks like it logs a fault after 30mins of driving

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 08:09 PM
good explanation! makes alot of sense, and i fitted the clocks lol

so there was supposed to be a bulb missing, who would have thought!
thanks for that!

how do i flash off the codes chimp? thanks very much for the help lads

AlexW
18-10-08, 08:35 PM
Turn the ign off. Go in the engine bay and on the bluk head there is a block connector, get a bit of wire and bridge it across the 1st and 2nd pin (with the securing thing at the bottom of the plug) and then go inside turn the ign on and note how many times the ecu light flashs.

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 08:42 PM
cool, never knew that! i will do that tomorro then! is there a look up guide on the net? cheers mate

AlexW
18-10-08, 08:57 PM
Yes but i cant remember the Url.

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 08:59 PM
ill get off my lazy ass and get searching then :) cheers mate

AlexW
19-10-08, 09:47 AM
Still needed? Well heres the web address: http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

Dont get confused by it but its preety straight forward.

Tidy Max
19-10-08, 09:49 AM
ahh thanks mate, just about to go and pick up some paint and then ill have a go at this today, thanks for your help again pal, very useful :)

Tidy Max
19-10-08, 12:09 PM
okay doke! flashed up the codes and it just repeats the initialization code :( weird, ill wait till the lights next come up on my dash then ill pull over and try it then! thanks for your help, good for future reference :)