PDA

View Full Version : Better get your nova garaged up for the winter!!

Adam
17-10-08, 10:58 PM
Stolen from mig
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/3140098/Winter-gritting-could-wreck-cars.html

As if they didn't rust enough already lol lol lol :roll:

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 11:00 PM
lol my Nova hasnt been out of the garage for nearly 4 years so i'm ok! The Fiesta on the other hand.....its dropping lumps of rust as i type! lol

L14MNP
17-10-08, 11:03 PM
When I took my SR for it's test (to see what it would fail on) after being garaged/SORN for three years by the previous owner it left bit's of itself all over the 4 poster when the tester started poking it lol
He owned me with 'why do you want an old piece of junk like this?' lol It was a totally standard H plate 14 SR, no love!

I always intended to take one of my mk1 xr2's up for a laugh :) Before I done any restoration I needed to sweep up after they had been parked up lol

AlexW
17-10-08, 11:09 PM
Glad ive decided to ditch the alloys and ive been protecting the underside on the nova. Looks like il have to keep the use to the min.

vaughanmc
17-10-08, 11:12 PM
Can't see mines being out again this year - Mind you theres a local Cruise at the end of this month

Then I think it will be in the garage to get the doors addressed :)

L14MNP
17-10-08, 11:18 PM
I have been Googling with no success for what the Japanese use, I was told by an importer that they spray down liquid similar to deicer, hence the fantastic condition of the vast majority of imports undersides. However, I'm sure I read online once that they do use a grit type substance, but it can't be as harmful as what UK/US/Canada etc uses right?

*edit They are going one better now Lol http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15220583.400-technology--japans-winter-roads-are-piping-hot.html

Ernie
18-10-08, 08:21 AM
And to think that vw started to kick of about it.I always thought they loved the rusty look lol.
Before gritting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/RTTS%2008/DSC01496.jpg
After gritting lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/RTTS%2008/RTTS08025.jpg

Rexy
18-10-08, 08:38 AM
lmfbo, poor poor mk1... Mines going to be used al threw winter as well pmsl... Oh well luckly i will respray it before the show season kicks up again :D

Ernie
18-10-08, 09:06 AM
I dont give a poo about my Jazz so it will be tucked up right behind the nearest gritter lorry to see how bad this new stuff really is lol.

Dan_Coombs
18-10-08, 11:42 AM
Bad time to buy my first Nova - right as winters starting lol

Rich
18-10-08, 12:02 PM
nice location as well lol

It does say that because its pre-wet whatever, they are using less salt meaning its actually better for cars?

John
18-10-08, 12:10 PM
Lol, typical vw, trying to get out of warranty claims!

dj_wudgey
18-10-08, 02:05 PM
well glad my sr is now off the road ive only ran it for one winter in like four years and im definately not going to use it again untill sumer after reading this!!!!!

Martin
18-10-08, 02:17 PM
My Shoes wont rust.. i'm in no danger lol

C14se
18-10-08, 03:11 PM
Bad time to buy my first Nova - right as winters starting

can be mate but iam looking to buy a new nova and wen i do get it it will be in a heated garage get all the bits dun to it till i pass my test lol

Philsutton
19-10-08, 03:05 PM
FFS why cant we go back to the good old days of driving on ice. Punish the stupid, thats what Darwin would have wanted.

Spudly
19-10-08, 03:09 PM
Always looking to cleanse the gene pool aint ya phil lol wholeheartedly agree with you though, its like you once said something about warning labels on stuff.........

Take em all of and let natural selection take its course:thumb:lol

draper
20-10-08, 10:14 AM
mine stays in the garage anyway, if only to stop the pikeys taking it away for scrap

raymond
20-10-08, 11:30 AM
im in for another expensive welding bill as i use mine through the winter lol

craig green
20-10-08, 11:37 AM
Bad time to buy my first Nova - right as winters starting lol

Surely you have the option to look after it through the winter, rather than buy it off someone who has just driven it in all weathers, mud & salt & not cleaned it properly....?

Whoever thinks a heated garage will help is on drugs too, the humidity in a heated garage will promote rust just as much as parking the car outside in the rain.

Spudly
20-10-08, 11:51 AM
im in for another expensive welding bill as i use mine through the winter lol

Stay on top of cleaning/polishing and give the undersides and arches a good rinse out once a week and she should stay healthy bud:thumb:

Cormac
20-10-08, 01:45 PM
My swing has been garaged all its life, dont think i could sleep sound at night thinking about it out in rain haha

vaughanmc
20-10-08, 01:59 PM
As William with the Nova Sport said to me - You wash it with water, so what difference does rain make

I thought that was a fair point, took it wisely lol

Grit is a pain in the a*se like - Does anyone actually waxoyl or underseal a brand new car when they get it ?

Adam
20-10-08, 04:45 PM
No because new cars are actually well protected from the factory and have galvanised chassis's etc lol lol

And yeah you wash it with water, but washing the car doesn't force water into places it gets to when your hitting puddles at 50mph etc.....

vaughanmc
20-10-08, 04:45 PM
Aye fair point.. :)

craig green
20-10-08, 04:48 PM
I used to wash my Nova very thoroughly under the arches & its underside etc to keep muck & such away, yet my love was repaid with some of the worst rot I've ever seen on a Nova, so tbh that isnt the way to go either.

My advice is get a decent car to take care of in the 1st place. :p

Adam
20-10-08, 04:53 PM
My advice is get a decent car to take care of in the 1st place. :p
Amen to that lol

Jack
20-10-08, 04:58 PM
Rep for Mr Green lol

Riggy
20-10-08, 04:59 PM
lol ive been using mine daily for the last 2 week (astra ran out of tax) and its manky , really need to give it a good clean and get astra back on the road, also council are knocking 1 off my garages down so had to get another and move all my **** across today lol

Adam
20-10-08, 05:00 PM
So, Carl, what do you prefer?

Cormac
20-10-08, 05:13 PM
As William with the Nova Sport said to me - You wash it with water, so what difference does rain make

I thought that was a fair point, took it wisely lol

Grit is a pain in the a*se like - Does anyone actually waxoyl or underseal a brand new car when they get it ?

Ive only washed the swing a few times since i got it, dont like putting water near it, Polish is better :)

Riggy
20-10-08, 07:19 PM
So, Carl, what do you prefer?

lol for fun and the looks you get whilst driving it , the nova

for comfort and being old , the astra lol

nova suit being a 2nd car so much lol

twistysnovagte
20-10-08, 07:37 PM
im in for another expensive welding bill as i use mine through the winter loli also use mine through the winter months unfortunatly:( but it doesnt realy go anywhere only covered around 4200mile in around four years so not to bad!but do have to say that when i bought the car,the paint work and panaels were very clean,reason being it was in a garage,unfortunatly its been on my front for the last four years and the drivers side wing/door have bubbled and rusted:( people local to me who own single lock up garages for your car want silly money per month so its a another winter out in the cold.:(

Lee H
21-10-08, 08:17 AM
Mine gets used daily through winter as well, looking like this is its last winter though as I never bother washing it, in fact i've washed it twice since I got it 12 months ago.

Jack
21-10-08, 08:47 AM
I'll be using mine through the winter, but as said before the lifespan of this shell is only until about June next year at the latest - i.e. MOT time lol - so I don't really care if it rusts away over winter. All depends on how well it drives in the wet and ice though really.

I think I've only washed it twice in 5 months lol