PDA

View Full Version : Card infront of the radiator

Nova-Boy
31-10-02, 01:33 PM
I have heard that to stop novas taking so long to heat up in the winter you stick a bit of card infront of the radiator to stop it cooling so well. What sort of size card are we looking at?? Thinking of getting a K&N bolt on as well. Will this need a bigger size card??

ade
31-10-02, 05:07 PM
the card stops the cold air cooling rad down - just use a piece off a card board packing box (like wot they use in supermarkets) - prob want it to be about as big as the rad less and inch or so all around. Sone cover rad in silver foil. To make it look less obvious paint one side black.

If youre getting a K&N wait till the weather gets warmer as K&N's dont have a heat exchange like the standard air filters do and thsay have a habit of freezing up on you when travelling at speed (Ice crystals form on the jets in the carb due to cold air) - it doesnt help wihen its foggy neither as the moisture in the air freezes it faster - as I found out the other day.

You can rig up some heat hoses running from the manifold shielding to the carb - I redid mine today - you need to watch though as the K&N & carb like cold dense air - but if its too cold its gonna p1ss you off when you lose all power about 40mph!!!

you could just put the old air box on for winter. Mines knackered so not an option.

Experiment - I tried using the front part of the old air box with the spring in it which lets in warm air when travelling and bunged heater hoses out the other end to the air filter - couldnt get it right though.

Some also say stick a put of card around the front of the K&N and point a heater hose at it leaving the sides and rear clear - the front of the filter gets most of the cold air so blocking it off "may" stop this.

Ade

mowgli
31-10-02, 09:32 PM
I believe that General Motors spent several million pounds developing the cooling system on the Nova. I don't think that they shoved old pot noodle boxes in front of the rad to get the car to warm up quicker. The rad was designed for all weather conditions that Europe & South Africa have. so the rad is always going to be over capacity during the winter months in the UK. Putting in a cold weather (higher running temp) thermostat will do a much better job. They can be found in the parts book at decent motor factors.

Keep warm

Mowgli

ade
31-10-02, 09:43 PM
lol

That would be easier wouldnt it.

Didnt know they existed!

:D

Manta Mad
31-10-02, 10:23 PM
I would go along with the thermostat change/upgrade also. maybe yours is not working properly, my Nova is quick to heat up in winter and has a great heater.

dan16v
31-10-02, 10:31 PM
yes but gm also designed all the other parts of the nova which we change ie suspension, brakes etc so just b cause they spent loads doesnt mean its good, come off it ,it was over 10years ago :lol: id use the cardboard and have done for over 2years and for some of use with cold running thermostats it still takes just as long! and on hot days the cardboard can be removed unlike the anti freeze which has to be drained and replace ????