PDA

View Full Version : Which XE Sump gasket to use?!?

chimp007_uk
17-10-08, 10:55 AM
Hi All,

I replaced the sump gasketsbefore on my XE and have another leak, so want to sort this for good! Its currently leaking oil onto my front right caliper :eek:

Last time i replaced it, I used the existing baffle plate and ran 2 cork gaskets... Whats the best option?

People said before about running an 8v baffle plate!?! Do Iwant one that has the gaskets already attached? or run 2 rubber gaskets as well?

Cheers Guys!

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 10:58 AM
Its definately your sump thats leaking on to your caliper? Just ues XE gaskets. Make sure all surfaces (sump pan, baffle plate and block) are clean and reassemble. Could use some instant gasket aswell, i guess?

Running an 8v baffle plate wont stop leaks, it has a different fin cut out AFAIK.

chimp007_uk
17-10-08, 11:02 AM
it's defiantely the sump! i cleaned all the surfaces last time, its hassle having to drop the manfiold and exhaust system. I'd rather run a baffle that had the gaskets glued to it, less surfaces to leak from! The cork gaskets i've got a terrible!

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 11:20 AM
I have rubber ones on mine. I can only guess that over time, the cork draws the oil out. I wouldnt use them IMO. Add abit of sealer/instant gasket to the surfaces, might help seal the faces.

chimp007_uk
17-10-08, 11:27 AM
This hasn't been a long time... It's only been 3months. The baffle plate thats on there had a sealed gasket on either side of it. then then the 2 corks gaskets, thats 4 surfaces to leak from...

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 11:29 AM
So you have a baffle plate with rubber gaskets AND 2 cork gaskets, or have i read that wrong?

chimp007_uk
17-10-08, 11:49 AM
the baffle plate had rubber gaskets sealed to it, but i cut them off...

I didn;t word that right originally...

craig green
17-10-08, 11:52 AM
The 8v method is widely known as the option to go for.

You will need shorter bolts. Use RTV sealant & allow it to cure before putting oil back in. Dont overtighten the bolts as the sump can crack.

I can't remember the details exactly but a serch on MIGweb should be a good source for the proper info.

chimp007_uk
17-10-08, 11:53 AM
cheers craig, will have a search now :)

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 11:53 AM
What is the 8v way then? i just assumed it was the baffle plate that was a different cut out design??!!

EDIT: the 8v baffle plate has the gaskets bonded to them.

craig green
17-10-08, 11:58 AM
Yeah the 8v baffle plate has rubber gaskets bonded to it IIRC.

I replaced mine years ago on an Astra GTE with cork ones & sealant only to find it wasnt the sump leaking, but the crank end seal.

chimp007_uk
17-10-08, 12:13 PM
It doesn't look to be the seal, I can see oil coming from the front edge f the sump so finger's crossed!

Will try and get a gasket today! Just ordered new bushes arms and ball joints so they'll be going on too, then hopefully it'll track straight :)

Philsutton
17-10-08, 03:18 PM
Vectra 1.8-2.0 is the one to use, you dont need to modify anything on the baffle plate. Never tried the 8v one but im guessing its similiar.

Rich
17-10-08, 08:25 PM
Theres a small tab that needs bending down out the way (although i didnt last time and was fine)

If you put the old baffle plate next to the 8v gasket you can see which bit needs moving

R1CH
17-10-08, 08:34 PM
If done propperly, using the standard XE gaskets works fine.
Have you checked to see if the sump face is flat ??
Have you ran a tap up the bolt holes to clean all the old crap out ??
The bolts can end up bottoming out before they tighten up to the sump if the bolt holes are still full of crap (mainly old sealant).

mayhem
18-10-08, 01:19 AM
i'm using a x20xev one iirc

chimp007_uk
18-10-08, 06:08 PM
cheers guys!! the block and sump faces were flat! and the bolts definately didn't bottom out...

vectra 1.8/2.0 litre, c20ne,x20xev... Any advantages to either? i'm having to use the car as my everyday atm after the golf went pete tong :( MOT'd the manta today, flew through :) lol so that'll be taxed at the end of the month. But... dont really want to wait that long with the sump!