PDA

View Full Version : Nova rear beam Idears?

jord4n
17-10-08, 10:45 AM
Iv been thinking about diffrent idears for the rear beam on my nova, as you are all awere the rear bean is solid on a nova. this not helping the sideways action i always seam to get when really giving it some round bends.

now im not the best person to be thinking about this but i may have a good idear.

a lot of the grassing boys are doing indpendent suspension on the rear, this got me thinking how the old beam and be made better thus making it sort of semi indpendent.

done a few skeches on CAD to explaine better, will add after a few replys to get the convo going.

just want to see what anyone else as come up with, helping the handling rear of a nova.

jordan

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 10:53 AM
Driving slower round corners is always a good start IMO.

Shaun_O'Donnell
17-10-08, 10:56 AM
I always thought that poly bushes and a decent suspension set up was very sufficient, pretty sure that's all the track going guys & gals do.

jord4n
17-10-08, 11:21 AM
I always thought that poly bushes and a decent suspension set up was very sufficient, pretty sure that's all the track going guys & gals do.
what iv got atm, was thinking rose joints inplace of bushes.

this is what iv been thinking

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1664/rearbeam2vb1.png

Top - Standard rear beam
mid- new beam with tie bar inbetween with plan under show how i propose to do it
bottom - showing how it would work as one wheel can move indpendently to the other

comments please

draper
17-10-08, 11:24 AM
seems like your trying to over-engineer something imho

id try playing with suspension/geometry settings to see if that helps otherwise you could just be throwing money at a problem that doesnt really exsist

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 11:26 AM
What he said. HH Novas werent that advanced technology wise, so couldnt have been a problem. What is the spec of your car now? Suspension, wheel size etc?

The Simps
17-10-08, 11:31 AM
have you thought about adding a little neg camber and upping spring rates?

is it for road or track use?

Shaun_O'Donnell
17-10-08, 11:40 AM
Would this not allow the suspension to move more therefore requiring the further need for an anti-roll bar or increased spring weight/dampner set up. The original rear beam design, the independant movement in the suspension is twisting the rear/beam and original anti-roll bar set up therefore providing more resistance against this form of movement to what you are designing?

craig green
17-10-08, 11:45 AM
Easiest method if you are intent on changing things would be to transplant on a Rover/Honda rear IRS setup IMO. It would need modding to fit within the Nova track (width) but could work.

Grippier tyres might be the answer you need though, perhaps the tread isnt heating up & giving sufficient grip.

Stuart
17-10-08, 12:41 PM
jod4n, have you even seen a nova beam?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
That Idea wont work on the gorunds that the beam linking the two sides really needs to be as near to the existing pivots as possible, therefore hinging the ends will jsut make it all into a floppy mess.

Spudly
17-10-08, 12:54 PM
^^^^ Thats what i was thinking tbh, wont it allow for unwanted sideways movement of the rear beam and cause ridiculous rear body roll into corners increasing the risk of rolling the entire car when cornering hard?

I can see the idea youre trying to come up with and tbh if it were possible/viable someone wouldve done it already by now!

burgo
17-10-08, 01:32 PM
i know of very few novas when driven properly that loose the back end. sounds to me like your lifting off mid corner

Mike
17-10-08, 01:39 PM
i know of very few novas when driven properly that loose the back end. sounds to me like your lifting off mid corner

Agreed :thumb: once committed to a corner (at higher then "normal" speed) its either all or nothing! TBH, just keep your foot in. Lifting off last minute can have nasty side effects to your health lol

jord4n
17-10-08, 01:56 PM
jod4n, have you even seen a nova beam?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
That Idea wont work on the grounds that the beam linking the two sides really needs to be as near to the existing pivots as possible, therefore hinging the ends will just make it all into a floppy mess.
Indeed I have, Its all just an idea tbh, that’s why i have put it up here. something i was thinking about for a while and had a bit of spear time so did some sketches.

again this is something this forums are designed for discussion.

not lifting at all, i know what you mean i have felt and suffered the consequences of this. its happening to me on a fast corner where the camber of the road is pushing me outwards. as shown on my bottom pic showing the camber of the road and keeping the car level

maybe i just dont know what im talking about!

The Simps
17-10-08, 02:06 PM
are you talking about road or track use?

if its skipping on the road its more than likely cos the cars is skipping over the bumps because the damping/springs are too stiff.

jord4n
17-10-08, 02:08 PM
are you talking about road or track use?

if its skipping on the road its more than likely cos the cars is skipping over the bumps because the damping/springs are too stiff.

yer just on a road car, its got corsa van rear shocks and some un-known 60mm (i think) springs on the rear. its very stiff

Pistol Pete
17-10-08, 02:12 PM
I may be wrong, but Corsa shocks cant be helping? If their from a van, which is designed to take weight, this will be part of the problem? The rear end of a Nova will be lighter compared to a van, no?

jord4n
17-10-08, 02:21 PM
I may be wrong, but Corsa shocks cant be helping? If their from a van, which is designed to take weight, this will be part of the problem? The rear end of a Nova will be lighter compared to a van, no?

defo is lighter, but the van shocks are a lot stiffer and do make the car handle a lot better then standard. this may be resolved from gaz coilovers and new poly bushes. its not a problem as such as it handles a dream really, just skips about when hevey conering.

The Simps
17-10-08, 02:24 PM
the skippy is as says, too stiff for british roads.

you will find similar with the gaz if you're gunna run it low tbh.

its just a lowered car thing.

Stuart
17-10-08, 02:58 PM
Picking the right spring/damper setting is the key to this... I'd go with stiffish springs with rather soft damping to permit the "bumps" to be soaked up but still corner well

brainsnova
17-10-08, 03:12 PM
get the welder out and fab up independant cav gsi , calibra rear suspension. lol

burgo
17-10-08, 03:14 PM
get the welder out and fab up independant cav gsi , calibra rear suspension. lolthe only way that will solve the skipping is with how heavy the back end would end up

Mike
17-10-08, 05:22 PM
its happening to me on a fast corner where the camber of the road is pushing me outwards.

The rear of your car is losing grip & bouncing about then? As said, revise rear suspension setup AND qeustion your rear tyres ;) funk those Corsa van shocks off! Corsa Van's were never designed with handling, there a workhorse, this should solve a few issues to start with!!

burgo
17-10-08, 07:41 PM
i have some proper spax adjustable rear shock if your interested

_JH_
17-10-08, 09:36 PM
it's not the shock, it's not the spring, it's the 2 together.

You need either shortened uprated shocks, or bin the -60mm bling springs for some GSi/GTE items or at most -40mm jobbies.

Better still do both as the Corsa Van shocks may actually be longer than standard Nova items.

And as for grassers having IRS, that's a massive can of worms to discuss. Very little of that theory applies to a road going Nova.

But if you're intent on doing so, it'd be an interesting project!

novacabrio
17-10-08, 09:53 PM
I'm sure Corsa C SRIs have some kind of special rear hub that moves, could be grafted onto a Nova

General Baxter
17-10-08, 09:59 PM
Agreed :thumb: once committed to a corner (at higher then "normal" speed) its either all or nothing! TBH, just keep your foot in. Lifting off last minute can have nasty side effects to your health lol

just bounce it round the lanes eh mike lol

Benn
17-10-08, 10:46 PM
Its the van shocks, this is something a few race boys do as they are very short so its cheap, but! They are so short they dont open all the way so they dont give the right travel and start to skip cause of this.
I know i drive a car (kevs now yellow nova) that had this done. I got it side ways across 3 lanes on a big cross way. Get a proper shock and spring set up and you'll be much much better off and it will handle 3times better.

Mike
18-10-08, 09:43 AM
just bounce it round the lanes eh mike lol

So true lol lol i know its not to everyones taste toe'ing it sideways around a corner at speed, i love so it so meh lol