PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Connection Problem

NovaLad
16-10-08, 08:50 PM
Okies my mate came around with the cable that goes from the back of the xbox to the modem or router or back of tower...

Problem was the connection into the back of my modem is smaller...

I currently don't have a router but do have the connection on the back of the tower..

So plugs it in and the comp aint finding it.

Do i need to just go get another lead that will have the same size bigger block on the end at the xbox and the smaller to the modem?

Rawr!

Jack
17-10-08, 12:00 AM
lol were you trying to plug an RJ45 connector into a RJ11 socket? lol

L14MNP
17-10-08, 12:09 AM
Yeah he is lol

NovaLad
17-10-08, 12:32 AM
I don't know isn't the RJ45 the big 1 for the back of the xbox then? and the RJ11 the small square BT one?

As i need that if that's what you mean lol

Jack
17-10-08, 07:50 AM
Without knowing what connections you have as I've never fettled with a 360, I would assume you have an ethernet connection on the xbox that needs to go to a spare ethernet port on a router or PC. If you want to plug it straight into the back of your PC, you need to setup the networking on both the PC and 360 for direct filesharing (assuming thats what you want to do). Or are you using a patch cable to plug it into the PC instead of a crossover cable?

Do i need to just go get another lead that will have the same size bigger block on the end at the xbox and the smaller to the modem?
Are you trying to connect the 360 to the PC or the modem? I don't get it, you say you're plugging the xbox into the computer, now you want it direct into the modem..?

RJ45 is ethernet, RJ11 is phone line.

NovaLad
17-10-08, 07:03 PM
DM found out my mate gave me the wrong lead that's why it wasn't finding it on through the tower when plugged in...

He gave me a normal ethernet and not a crossed over 1 .

Jack
18-10-08, 01:46 PM
Or are you using a patch cable to plug it into the PC instead of a crossover cable?
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/captain-james-t-kirk-awesome1.jpg

NovaLad
18-10-08, 01:49 PM
Reet now the problem is...

We tried 2 cross over cables and it's not picking it up on my comp...

What's the next option? Get a BT router?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BT-VOYAGER-210-MODEM-ROUTER-FOR-XBOX-WII-VISTA-XP-ETC_W0QQitemZ260300281915QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 60300281915&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Jack
18-10-08, 01:51 PM
Did you set up any networking on the PC? Its not like USB, you can't just plug something in via ethernet and expect it to work.

A router would make things easier really, especially if you want to connect other stuff to the network.

Why are you trying to do this anyway, is it so you can share an intarweb connection? Or for filesharing?

Martin
18-10-08, 01:55 PM
you got the cable the wrong way round? lol

with mine.. i plug it into the laptop and into the cerealbox and reset the modem.. job done..

same ifno1 is using the laptop i just go direct from modem, just plug it into both parties, reset the modem. et walla

NovaLad
18-10-08, 02:06 PM
Tried the cable both ways and still nothing...

yes i know to go to network connections etc... but it aint there either.

Thinking of getting that ''expensive'' BT router that i posted above for time being and to see what happens with that.

It's so i can play xbox live.

Martin
18-10-08, 02:09 PM
my xbox wouldnt work with a router

Jack
18-10-08, 02:11 PM
Tried the cable both ways and still nothing...
AFPMSL, you turned it round? lol

Hmm, you ought to be able to setup internet connection sharing in windoze, I'm sure there's a wizard for it, but I've never gone thru it myself.

Router would be the option I'd choose tbh. Turn off DHCP, assign IP addresses, tell the xbox and PC that the gateway and DNS servers are the router. Thats how my network is setup, and all works fine here - no xbox, but it doesn't matter whats attached just so long as you can set up ip addresses and shiznit.

Martin
18-10-08, 02:12 PM
right, plug it straight to the modem..

pres the xbox button on ya controller, go to dash board, go across to systems pannel(purple one) then test conection, see what it says

come back and tell me

Martin
18-10-08, 02:12 PM
AFPMSL, you turned it round? lol

Pmsl i was hoping he would :P

NovaLad
18-10-08, 02:16 PM
Can't plug the lead from my xbox to the modem because at the modem end it's a smaller RJ11 compared to a RJ45.

I don't have this lead!

Martin
18-10-08, 02:18 PM
LOL we had that problem.. you have on old type modem.. break it.. n send it back get a nice ne wone with the bigger ports.. will thats what Virgin did

Martin
18-10-08, 02:19 PM
or go wireless i wil be when we move

Jack
18-10-08, 02:23 PM
RJ11 connector is to go from the modem to the telephone line wall socket... nowt to do with being an "old style" plug :confused: lol

RJ11 is a physical interface often used for terminating telephone wires
wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ-11)

NovaLad
18-10-08, 03:27 PM
Just changed my internet package to a wireless something or other with router lol. god knows...