PDA

View Full Version : callling all brake experts...

rysmee
31-10-02, 11:35 AM
ok, now i know nova brakes are shit, but someone explain this....
i recently got an h reg gsi, with supposedly 'self adjusting rear drums'.. my arse.
the brakes were good and pedal nice and high (not long), until i had the brilliant idea to change the rear pads (while i had the drum off doing the bearings).
all went back together fine, and straight away pedal is long, ok i think, they just need to get adjusted and i need to adjust the hand brake.
do that, last for about 10 min and the pedal is long again, ok, take the drum back off, turn the adjuster so that the pads are closer (it hasn't moved since i put it all back together) (in other words.. do they actually work?) brakes are now good again for a while but soon the pedal goes long again and i just keep repeating this process.
what the hells going on??????

rgv_stu
31-10-02, 12:52 PM
they are self adjusting but... usaully require tlc before they work properly

Manta Mad
31-10-02, 02:50 PM
Best to take out the adjuster mechanism and unscrew it, give it a good clean up and re-assemble with a light smear of copper grease.

ade
31-10-02, 05:28 PM
did you make sure you put the little c clip back in place on the edge of the inner drum where the brake cable runs through?

Dont know if this will affect yer brake pedal but it will affect yer handbrake pulling up a long way.

One of mine snapped when I changed my cables and I had to get new clip.

mowgli
31-10-02, 09:14 PM
OK Novas rear brakes are particularly iffy...

New generation asbestos free linings are designed to have anti fade characteristics. It's a European thing to do with Alpine Passes. The lining material ends up being so hard that it actually wears out the drum's working surface long before it wears out itself. In the process, what's left of the drum gets heat hardened. The result is poor brakes. It is a pity that you didn't fit new drums.

I would agree with stripping the self adjuster (hahahahahahaha) mechanism & lubricate it with copper slip.
When you re-assemble the brakes always adjust the foot brake first, and then the handbrake. Loads of people try tightening the handbrake to get better back brakes.

Bleeding Brakes is always a good idea, and changing the fluid every year does help. if the fluid looks filthy & brown, change it immediately.

Manta Mad
31-10-02, 10:20 PM
Another thing with Nova back brakes and other Vauxhalls - why are they so bad for sticking to the drum.

If I park mine overnight after a wet day or even wash the wheels and leave overnight, the shoes stick (rust?) to the drums and you get a nice tyre mark down the road, dragging the wheel until it frees off!