PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* re-wire your fog and headlights to toggle switches (mk.2 1.2 carb loom)

jimbob-mcgrew
15-10-08, 07:31 PM
before i start, im no professional with electrics so i may not be 100% right with what ive done, but everything works as it should and ive had zero probs with the setup so far. i think with most mk.2's you should be ok with this guide, but mk.1's i think theres a difference in the wiring, youll have to check that out beforehand.

ill start with the easier of the two first, the foglight:

- green/grey = power from sidelight
- white/yellow = power from dipped beam
- black/blue = power to foglight
- brown = earth

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/foglightswitchdiagram.jpg

i ditched the (green/grey) sidelight wire from the loom myself as i didnt see much point of it being there, and just used the dipped beam power for the switch. you'll need a 3 pin switch to wire it in (helps if it has power/acc/earth written on it, but if not im sure u can figure it out with a bit of trial and error) just make sure the earth and power wires stay away from each other while your stripping them or youll get sparks and a blown fuse no doubt.

next up with the headlight switch:

how ive done this one, may not work exactly how you want it, as i had allready stripped out the wires for the interior light/door sensors and buzzer relay that were linked to the switch, i think they were grey wires if i remember. you may have to rig up an additional switch for the interior light.

- red = permanent power in
- green/grey = power to sidelights and dash illumination
- white/yellow = power to dipped beam
- white/yellow = power to foglight fuse
- brown = earth

youll need 2 x 3 pin switches for this, or you could rig all wires to a single more complex switch (which i wont go there as i have no clue lol)
youll need to double up the power and earth for the additional switch and connect the 2 x white and yellows together on the same pin, i used insulated female spade connectors to crimp on each of the wire ends.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/lightswitchdiagram.jpg

and thas about it :thumb: