PDA

View Full Version : hand brake cable

fo0q
30-10-02, 08:54 PM
my cable [the shorter one i think that connects to the bracket by the axle and operates the off side brake] snapped today at dinner time today so i ordered one from Vaux to be delivered to the garage i work at.

After work i took off the drum and tried replace the cable.

I took both the shoes off and then disconnected the cable from them, then i took the nut of the old cable which tensions it and put it on the new one in pretty much the same way... ran the cable across the axle and through the backing plate and then onto the shoe lever thingy .. by now i seen that one side of the cylinder is leaking but that wan't bothering me yet cos i was in too much of a rush.

I tried to put the shoes back on with the pins and springs but was difficult and when they went on the shoes were out too far so that the drum wouldnt be abvle to go on... i could see that the hand brake lever was being pulled too far into the drum

i tried to put the drum on but it was very tight so like the stressed out knob i was i banged it on with the hammer
i tried to slacken the cable but didnt help... then something happened and i dunno what!! the cable wnt very tight and when i tried to prise the drum off the right hand side shoe came off and the little spring and capwent flying inside the dum somewhere..

by now i was well pissed off and left it in work... im goin early in the morning to see if i fix it otherwise i gotta get the bus to college..

Has anyone ever changed one of these cable or know where i went wrong??

Thanks alot

Aragorn
30-10-02, 11:15 PM
was the handbrake on when u removed and reconnected the shoes?

when working on the rear drums u should never put the handbrake on since you are essensially pushing the shoes outwards and with the drum off this causes problems as uve noticed

basically you'll need to try and push the hydraulic piston back in a bit so the shoes are not sticking out when u place the drum on and i'd also say dont put the cable on tight - it would be better to adjust it AFTER you reassemble the thing so as not to do what u did

rgv_stu
31-10-02, 09:02 AM
the brake adjuster might need winding in abit too