PDA

View Full Version : Petrol under £1.00 OMG!

Pistol Pete
15-10-08, 03:01 PM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Supermarket-Chain-Morrisons-Slashes-Petrol-Prices-To-Under-A-Pound/Article/200810315121682

Asda and Morrisons slash petrol prices to 99.9p a litre! A sign that many others will followsuit?

vaughanmc
15-10-08, 03:03 PM
Cheapest I've seen around my way is £1.03 :)

Not been to see about Tesco etc etc though

Pistol Pete
15-10-08, 03:05 PM
lol i havent put petrol in a vehicle since April :eek: so will be a nice shock for me!

vaughanmc
15-10-08, 03:07 PM
lol A tenner took my mates Nova to just below the 1/2 mark on the gauge

burgo
15-10-08, 03:07 PM
if you read it tho it says the price of crude oil has halfed since the summer yet fuel prices have only gone down by 20P

tom_beverley
15-10-08, 03:08 PM
Get diesel back to around 80p a litre and I'll be happy (er).

Reading that article it states diesel was 130p when oil was $147, so now oil is back down to $71 it would be nice to see diesel half of that 130p too.

Pistol Pete
15-10-08, 03:08 PM
TBH i hadnt read the whole link. Those greedy buggers!

vaughanmc
15-10-08, 03:12 PM
Supposedly the price of scrap metal is down also

Couple of months ago they quoted my dad about £200 for a car now they reckon about £80 lol

Simon 1867
15-10-08, 03:18 PM
I agree, lets see diesel come down too. at least theses a very small light at the end of this tunnel, but with cost cutting it may go out again.lol

L14MNP
15-10-08, 03:23 PM
Good to see it going te right way for once although still nowhere near enough!

I think it's good in a way that scrap (steel) prices are down as it means very cheap projects/unwanted cars to break again etc. As people won't moan they can get X amount in scrap :)

Adam
15-10-08, 03:45 PM
Ive just filled up at Asda lol
Cant remember the last time i saw more litres of petrol, than money. (over 30L for £30)

Andy
15-10-08, 03:46 PM
Also will stop the likes of us falling down manholes 'cos thieving gyppos have weighed the covers in

Jack
15-10-08, 03:47 PM
Crude is currently $75 a barrell (and has been decreasing since July last year - yet you'll note petrol prices only started to drop in August this year). Last time it was at this value was about November 2006 - prices here were about 87ppl here for super unleaded, currently they're around 108 for super. So someone is making some profit there...

There's a couple of reasons, one is the media enhanced financial "crisis" - less people are buying oil and instead switching to valuable metals such as gold, platinum, rhodium (which is daft tbh, as there's always demand for oil). They're volatile (rhodium went from $10k to just under $4k in 3-4 months), but overall are high in price.

The second is the new Iranian oil board trading in euros and skadging up the price of the dollar.

[edit] Derv is artificially high as so many people these days drive economical diesels. Its actually cheaper to manufacture than petrol.

Hmm, world oil production is slowing a little over the past few months. How long til all the doomsayers come on TV bleating about how we've passed peak oil? Nowt to do with lower demand of course, and the fact that after peak oil the price should rocket, but thats beside the point lol

L14MNP
15-10-08, 03:48 PM
Aye Adam I know that feeling lol it was 60 odd p/l for unleaded when I started driving lol
Andy they have done that around here too, an old boy I was talking to at my garage mentioned the 'sinks' along the country lane being full of 'witches hats' lol. Quality wordage lol

dan16v
15-10-08, 03:56 PM
Good news! will put this new fuel saver card to use that we have been issued. For making the stuff, exxon have now given us a card which gives us a MASSIVE 2p off per litre!, tight ****s! better than nowt i suppose, has to be an esso/exxon pump station, which i think asda is round here!

Rich
15-10-08, 06:27 PM
thought i got a bargain at 107ppl today lol :(

Ash
15-10-08, 06:31 PM
Petrol under £1.00 OMG!

Well it's not good enough :mad:

Adam
15-10-08, 06:32 PM
FAIL :p lol

Andy
15-10-08, 06:35 PM
Morrisons is cheapest @99.9 round here-sainsburys the greedy cnuts 107.9 (petrol)

twistysnovagte
15-10-08, 06:37 PM
lol i havent put petrol in a vehicle since April :eek: so will be a nice shock for me!back in april mate it was 92p a litre,now gordons fooked the country up/and arabs are raping us dry,youll find it has steadily risen since so yeah you will be in for a "nice"shocklol

Pistol Pete
15-10-08, 06:39 PM
meh, 7p rise. lol, not bad compared to what it has been.

mikey14sr
15-10-08, 07:18 PM
When I started driving, petrol was only 53p/litre, and people were moaning about the price then! Yet to find anywhere below 105.9p round here yet, but then it was sunday when I last put some in, and won't need any more till this sunday.

meritlover
15-10-08, 07:45 PM
id make the most of it, whats the bets the tax is increased on a ltr in the next budget?
after all we're going into a recession so we're going to have uber un-employment and pay for the bank-bailout.

BRoadGhost
15-10-08, 08:56 PM
All goes hand-in-hand with the summer demand, now it gets colder peeps use less. Guess they just wanted to see how much they could rinse the fcuk outta Joe no pack in the hot months.

Now they'll be giggling thinking they've attuned peeps to think £1 a litre is cheap - well guess what w4nk stains - It's not.

meritlover
15-10-08, 09:01 PM
All goes hand-in-hand with the summer demand, now it gets colder peeps use less. Guess they just wanted to see how much they could rinse the fcuk outta Joe no pack in the hot months.

the price of oil+gas goes up in the winter due to the volumes used for heating. its the economic slowdown thats put the price or a barrel unter $100.

what i dont understand is, the price of a barrel has been down for at least 2-3 months, so why is it that it takes a super market price-war to initiate the price cuts?

just shows how much we're screwed. when the price of oil goes up, the price at the pumps jumps up that night, but when the price comes down all we hear is " it takes a few weeks for the price fal to filter through to the fore-courts "
ye right :roll:

John
15-10-08, 09:17 PM
Ok, why is diesel still so bloody dear then?

meritlover
15-10-08, 09:22 PM
because,heavier fractions of oil (which inc diesel) are being bought up in VAST quantities to fuel India, China, Dubai, shipping tankers etc.. so the demand is greater than the suppply, so its dearer and the one thats in greatest demand therefor sets the highest price.
producing more diesel means refining more oil, so petrol therfore becomes a by-product and can be sold cheaper.
its not that petrols cheaper, its that diesel is dearer ;)

John
15-10-08, 09:24 PM
because,heavier fractions of oil (which inc diesel) are being bought up in VAST quantities to fuel India, China, Dubai, shipping tankers etc.. so the demand is greater than the suppply, so its dearer and the one thats in greatest demand therefor sets the highest price.
producing more diesel means refining more oil, so petrol therfore becomes a by-product and can be sold cheaper.
its not that petrols cheaper, its that diesel is dearer ;)

I see, :thumb: time to put the 1.2 nova on the road and bin the disastradiesel then!

meritlover
15-10-08, 09:27 PM
not exactly,
diesel engines are still more efficient so they are only just still cheaper to run.
so you are still better off with a diesel (within reason)

John
15-10-08, 09:30 PM
Not my astra cheif! It's crap on fuel beacuse i can't be ****d to look after it correctly lol.

vaughanmc
15-10-08, 09:33 PM
Had to check this out lol

Went a run to Asda and the petrol is 99.9p per Litre :)

£35 filled the Nova tank!

meritlover
15-10-08, 09:56 PM
Not my astra cheif! It's crap on fuel beacuse i can't be ****d to look after it correctly lol.

well there you go then. you complain about the price of fuel, yet knowingly drive an in efficient car that returns bad MPGs simply because you cant be bothered to look after it.:confused:

what do you want? the price of fuel to drop to a level where it becomes economical to drive a badly maintained car at the same price as it would cost to drive a well maintained car running on more expensive fuel?

the best ones are people who complained about fuel at £1.18 a ltr..when it turned out the were running optimax on a std 1.2i corsa:roll:

Jack
16-10-08, 10:20 AM
the best ones are people who complained about fuel at £1.18 a ltr..when it turned out the were running optimax on a std 1.2i corsa:roll:
But its better fuel and gives me 400bhp, y0! Especially when I put the back seats down LOL lol

I use VPower in the Celica (edit: thats a turbocharged car that is designed to run on higher RON fuel lol), I never used to, but I worked out that even with the added cost, it works out I get more miles-per-£ on it. And compared to normal super unleaded, a few extra pence per litre doesn't make all that much difference to the bill. 65 litres @ 117 = £76.05, 65 litres @ 107 = £69.55. Wow, £6.50 lol. £6.50 of SUL would get me approx 30 miles; yet 65 litres of VPower gets me around an extra 60-90 miles per tank anyway.

Anyway, I digress lol I wonder how long it will take for the price of everything to go down now? As the excuse before was "oh, the added cost of fuel on deliveries is upping the price of food/goods/services/air/tax/sex"

1.6 8v turbo nova
16-10-08, 10:27 AM
99.9p at tesco here, but i get super unleaded at 105.6, come down a bit :) 99 octane too.

Smurf-Xx
16-10-08, 10:51 AM
Everyone's going to go crazy and buy loads then it will be back up next week!

Spudly
16-10-08, 10:57 AM
Im waiting till weasel drops under a squid then ill be happy, i hate spending going on to £100 notes on fuel just because a want to brim my tank, hell i remember when £20 notes would brim a nova!

mikey14sr
16-10-08, 07:07 PM
Don't forget you need to allow for the fact that the dollar is stronger than the pound than it was 6 months ago, that's keeping the price up aswell.