PDA

View Full Version : seat ibiza cupra questions?

adam c
14-10-08, 06:34 PM
has anybody on here owned/own one or had any experience with them?its the mk3 (iirc)style from roughly x reg to 52 the 1.8 20v turbo ones.as at the minute they quite appeal to me but im just wondering:

1)are they easy enough to tune?

2)does much go wrong with them?

3)and most importantly do they handle well?

this shape v
http://i18.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/0e/0c/bdb3_1.JPG

many thanks adam:thumb:

Spudly
14-10-08, 06:37 PM
Afaik....

Yes they are very...

Not much theyre pretty reliable...

Yes they do, even more so when slammed!:thumb:

Pistol Pete
14-10-08, 06:47 PM
http://www.seatcupra.net

As spud said, very tuneable 1.8 20v turbo engine. Same as TT, Golf GTi etc. Only difference is ECU, and fule mapping IIRC? Very reliable, build quality has improved alot over the years.

I'd love one myself! See above link for ideas and/or advice. :)

Dan_Coombs
14-10-08, 06:48 PM
Never driven one, but been driven in one. Seemed quite fast and did seem like it sticked to the road, had one come into my work before to have a water leak seen to! Thats the only experience i've had with them. Personally i've always liked them!

SGA33
14-10-08, 08:39 PM
A lad at work has one.Nice car handles better with coilovers,and larger wheels.He Changed the ecu in it to a leon one and uprated the turbo and intercooler.Now runs just over 215bhp and has cost him hardly anything as there are loads of crashed audis skodas and vws with the same engine in scrapyards.

Paul
14-10-08, 09:35 PM
The engine came in 4 states of tune:

150bhp, 180bhp, 210bhp, 225bhp

If I'm chatting utter toss, then someone correct me, but

The difference between the engines is the turbo, twin intercoolers, the map in the ECU.

I dont think its quite as simple of changing ECU's unfortunately.

They suffer a bit from Air Flow Sensors/Mass Air Sensors (or whatever they're called, and can quite often cause a loss in power).

However, from my experience of these, Skoda Octavia vRS, Seat Leon Cupra R, Golf turbo and the TT 225, they seem to be bloody bullet proof! The Ibiza seems IMO to be the best choice out of all the motor's they came in.

I'd happily own one!

adam c
14-10-08, 11:40 PM
has anyone driven one?if so how would you compare the handling to a nova?as i love the chuckability/nimbleness of the nova and i think it handles pretty well so i would ideally want a car that handled as good if not better:)

Ben
15-10-08, 12:23 AM
As said there great cars, engines are great and can be played with easily for relative low cost.

Have driven one briefly, imo handle better than a nova in standard form of each as not fair to compare it to a nova with uprated suspension etc. also get the added benifit of creature comforts which helps a lot.

walshc
15-10-08, 01:35 AM
Another difference with the engines is turbos, you get the KO3 on the 150bhp engine, cant remember all the different engine codes, AGU is one though im sure, those engines came in passats, some leons i think and most golf gti turbos
Then the KO3s on the 180bhp engines, again cant remember all the different codes, but one is AUQ (i had that engine in my old Polo, tuned to 234bhp (256 possible, but not very safe for internals) with just an emerald ecu and full SS system) the 180bhp engines came in the anniversary golf gti, TT, A3, leon cupra, toledo, think theres some more, a4 maybe
Then the daddy, KO4 on the 225 bhp engine, think it was just the one code - BAM, thats the 20vT to have, came in TT quattro and S3, some S3s were only 210 though iirc :confused:

But yeah, really tunable (sp?) engines with simple - ish remaps (revo seem to be the best) for not much money

Go for it :thumb:

walshc
15-10-08, 01:40 AM
Oh, and as for things going wrong, theyre quite good really, VAG just had a little problem with coilpacks, H type ones iirc so worth checking if the car has the plagued ones and whether theyve been changed

A good site/forum dedicated to the 20vT is vag20v.net :cool:

Mike
15-10-08, 10:44 AM
Speak to Stoo, IIRC he had one for a while :thumb:

Stoo
15-10-08, 12:34 PM
Yo

I had a MK4 which had the 180bhp KO3s turbo

The MK3 has the Ko3 150bhp engine

Only one variant of it, bar the Cupra R which was more powerful

Try www.seatcupra.net for all your answers really

pretty relaible, tuneable to 230+ pretty easily really