PDA

View Full Version : top mount Q's

maxlee
14-10-08, 11:40 AM
hi guys

to day i am swapping over some suspenshion legs on my mk1 nova (well the girl friends mk1)
any way the shocks i am putting in one of the top mounts has play in it and spins with out turning the shock, The other one has no play and turns the shock as well. what one is right? i think the one with play and free is right as with the wight of the car on it it wont have play but will still turn on the bearing with out tuning the shock making steering easyer?? am i right has the other one sized to the shaft??? or is the one with play in it shot and should be like the one with out play in it.

any help would be good and i hope what i have put makes sence :confused:

sorry if its a silly question but i want to make sure it is all ok as its my girls car :)

burgo
14-10-08, 01:36 PM
the top mount and the shock should be able to move freely of each other. or in other words you should be able to hole the shock and spin the top mount. however you say theres also play in it?? there shouldnt be any

maxlee
14-10-08, 01:56 PM
thank u burgo :) i have got one spring swapped over using the better rubber bits etc also greased the beering and put some greas on the rubber bits to try and stop the dam sqeeking that pisses me off every time its dam or raining lol

the play looks like it was because the nut was to louse and the other one was to tight i'm gessing

back to it i gess thanks again for info vauxhall wanted silly money for top mounts ones on the mk1 look to be fine so far :)