PDA

View Full Version : Prefered diesel gearbox

Fridge
14-10-08, 11:17 AM
I'm just about to buy a 1.7td engine to fit to my 1.5td van. The issue i have is that the guy wants £25 more to have the gearbox as well. Now while this isn't unreasonable i just don't want to spend money if i don't have to!
I'v searched this forum and learnt that my 1.5td gearbox will just bolt straight on but i was wondering, is there any difference between the 1.5td and the 1.7td boxes.

Are there different ratios?
Are they EXACTLY the same box?
Shall i just buy it for spares?

Discuss.

Fridge
14-10-08, 12:17 PM
Nevermind, pretty much sussed it with the aid of google.

I tried to post the links but i'm not allowed yet as the forum deems me too wet behind the ears to post links to other sites.
Anyways, google 'is the gearbox on my 1.5td the same as a 1.7td' and see the mig web strings that come up.

burgo
14-10-08, 01:34 PM
there not the same actually. to use the 1.7td box you need to basically do a big block conversion. which bumps up the cost alot. if i was you i would fit the flywheel and clutch off the 1.5 to the 1.7 then use the 1.5 gearbox

Fridge
15-10-08, 10:22 PM
That helps a lot, thanks man.:thumb:
Won't bother with the 1.7 gearbox then.

I'v seen a few of your threads regarding the td's and i was wondering if you would fancy doing a *how to* for putting 1.7td's in a 1.5td???
It seems to come up quite a bit.
I'v seen that you pretty much swop everything (Alternator and starter motor too?) but then where do you need to get water hoses made up - you mentioned it in one thread.

Finally, sorry for asking what might be an obvious question to many but what is a 'big block conversion'?

mowgli
15-10-08, 10:25 PM
don't worry about the big block comment, its just one of our ways of describing different engine types.
which 17td engine are you buying, is it definitely the isuzu one????

burgo
15-10-08, 10:57 PM
i cant really do a how to as i have no pics and theres a few ways of doing it. like you say you need to change the starter, alternator and mounts. the problem comes with the thermostat housing and water pipe that runs behind the turbo.
you cant fit the 1.5 alternator with the standard 1.7 housing. you can swop to the 1.5 housing but this means the water pipe is smaller which i didnt fancy, so i altered the stat housing.
the other way round it is making a new front crossmember which clears the 1.7 alternato. theres something with the pulleys and cam belt cover but i cant remember what.

Fridge
15-10-08, 11:18 PM
which 17td engine are you buying, is it definitely the isuzu one????

Definatly, i'v read enough in this forum to know to avoid the GM motor!!

I was hoping it'd be a straight forward swop in a weekend, but it's sounding like a little bit more. May have to wait till i have a week off at christmas to do this....

Well, if i can get it in and going, maybe i'll do a how to!:D:D

burgo
15-10-08, 11:22 PM
it is a weekend job providing you do the right prep

Fridge
15-10-08, 11:22 PM
, so i altered the stat housing.

Is this something i can do at home or will i need machine access??
It'd be fine if i could get to a machine as i used to be a miller and a turner but the downside of leaving the industry is no more open access!!
Maybe i'll alter the crossmember then as i can definatly cut and shut.

burgo
15-10-08, 11:28 PM
well the housing outlet is a dog leg shape which is pointing down. i cut it then took it to get welded as its ally and i couldnt do it at home