PDA

View Full Version : learn the guitar

Tidy Max
14-10-08, 07:50 AM
Hello there!

Right, i'm after learning the guitar, i know a few of you play on here "hendrix" and i was just wondering how you went about learning, did you teach yourself or get lessens?

If you taught yourself what books/sites did you find useful!

Cheers

hendrix
14-10-08, 08:33 AM
Self taught mate...start off with really really simple stuff, then learn the basic chords (E, G, A, C, D). From there on its not too bad. don't get disheartened when you can't play something either...just keep at it!
Guitar tab helps once you know the basics (its a simple way to show how a piece is played and means you don't have to learn music!)
However...
I wish I had taken a few lessons to get me out of the bad habits that I currently have whilst playing. Some of them really impede the playing of more complex songs.

Tidy Max
14-10-08, 08:48 AM
yeah, i have had a look at some guitar tabs before, learnt the beginning of monsters by the automatic off one once, learning the chords sounds like a good plan lol got abit of direction now so i might crack on! cheers mate

Pistol Pete
14-10-08, 10:22 AM
G/f's brother wanted to learn guitar, so went out and bought one, a few books and he's picking it up quite well. I tried learning when i was younger, but gave up. I'll stick to guitar hero lol

hendrix
14-10-08, 12:25 PM
I reckon guitar hero is harder than the real thing :wtf: :tard:

Ben
14-10-08, 12:29 PM
My old man self taught himself, he's always watching the tutorials on you tube.

ash anderson
14-10-08, 12:33 PM
my brother is learning with a tutor, not sure weather its the best way he also has books, he's had a couple of lessons they teach him the basic's he comes home practice's every night-when he cracks what they have shown him the week before they then teach him to do summat else:cool: to be honest i never had the patience, but he goes about books and just get's home from school and bangs on upstairs and does most of the familys head in, mind you he has some nice blisters on his thumb and finger tips:(

hendrix
14-10-08, 12:34 PM
Yeah they'll go away eventually and just leave hard skin.
If you take lessons I think its a given that it will be over £10 per hour.

Tim-SR
14-10-08, 12:35 PM
i taught my self, then had lessons then decided i just wanted to strum and make stuff up so i quit them :D

large_steve182
14-10-08, 12:59 PM
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=0947183922

i started with this book and after 5-6 years i still go back to it sometimes. i swear my life by it.
it teaches you chords and basic tablature. once learning to read tabs and rythm. such as quavers, crotchets, semi breeves. blah blah blah its all about how much time and patientence you have.

as for lessons. ive never had one but some friends did. some lessons, the teachers will tell you how to properly play guitar and techniques etc. and some will just teach you how to play a song you want. which is good but your still stuck when it comes to finding it out on your own.

once you have progressed a little and can read the music (which hopefully you will do) get a copy of guitar pro. that is probably the most amazing program for guitar EVER

wilson_sri
14-10-08, 06:10 PM
Iv played since i was 5, runs in the family! lol Was taught by my dad who used to play proffesionally. My grandad also makes custom guitars for a living, and currently making a acoustic guitar built out of Whisky barrel for a guy in Japan!

My advice would be to make sure you practise the scales. The loosen up your fingers and get you used to stretching them and changing positions etc. Also if you want to be able to metal shred its the only real way to learn how to. Just about all rock/metal solos are based around pentatonic scales.

Tidy Max
15-10-08, 07:44 AM
right scales and chords! duly noted thank you very much :) cheers for the advice chaps, ill take a pic of my guitar and post it up, its a replica of a gibson SG i think? v.cheap but it will more than do i expect!

yeah ive seen that guitar pro, on most of the tab sites you can download the tab to fit in with guitar pro cant you? ta for the help!

large_steve182
15-10-08, 12:50 PM
yeah. and it plays it, showing the notes being played at that time. so you can copy that. but also comes with backing tracks in some so your basically playing the song.
theres also a lot of lessons for guitar pro. like scales, chords. techniques. ive got a folder of them. and a load of pdf's your more than welcome to