PDA

View Full Version : a little help, does this sound shifty?

euro sbd
13-10-08, 08:00 PM
Hi all i need some advice, Im selling my wifes e36 convertible and i have had a guy contact me by email. I told him the rough details of the car and he has seen the pics on gumtree. He has just sent me this email and theres something that doesnt seem quite right, as he hasnt seen the car in person. what do you think:confused: the email is below that he sent to me.

Dear Craig,

Thanks for the reply. The details of the car as been forwarded to my client. After your mail,I got in touch with my client on the details of your reply to our enquiry on the car condition and it is satifactory to him.More so,my client is eager to buy the car from you.

He said i should get you informed to remove the car from the above web site were you placed your car advert,because he will not like any other person to intercept with it.He really recommended your car from its features in the advert and has instructed me to carry on the transaction at the price of £2500 without negotiating further,since the car is still for sale and in good condition as described by the advert and you.

I am therefore happy to tell you that I have concluded with my client and he has instructed me to carry on with the transaction, He said I should let you know that payment will get to you in a Certified Bank Draft which include the Shipping Cost which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him.

Like i earlier said you will recieve the payment in Certified Bank Draft,upon clearance of the funds from your banking institution you will take out your payment and the shipping cost will be sent to the shipping agent who will arrange for the pickup and signing of the necessary papers to change ownership .I won't want you to bother about shipping as the e36 bmw convertible 318 would be picked up from your location, by a private shipper\agent, this is to guarantee safety as my clients depend on my well meaning service also to make some cosmetic touches then drive to a prepaid shipper for the car to be shipped to my customer.Confirm this and forward your (FULL NAME and ADDRESS ) for payment to be made out to you as soon as possible.i believe this is okay by you?

Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.
Have a nice day.
Regards,
James Anderson

Mazz
13-10-08, 08:06 PM
'Shipping costs...'

walk away

Asa-James
13-10-08, 08:08 PM
agreed, dont even entertain the idea

stevie-p
13-10-08, 08:09 PM
'Shipping costs...'

walk away

agreed:thumb:

burgo
13-10-08, 08:10 PM
scam!!!

euro sbd
13-10-08, 08:11 PM
cheers lads i thought so

brainsnova
13-10-08, 08:11 PM
get a model car the same spec and send it to him.

Mattman
13-10-08, 08:14 PM
"Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated."

Anyone who signs an email like that has to be a bit dodgy.

I would change your advert to say no overseas buyers

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 08:18 PM
Scam. Used to get emails like this when i sold a few cars a while back!

euro sbd
13-10-08, 08:18 PM
"Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated."

Anyone who signs an email like that has to be a bit dodgy.

I would change your advert to say no overseas buyers

i must say that bit made me laugh aswelllol i shall give him a short sharp Foff im thinking

Stuart
13-10-08, 08:24 PM
basically if you have to ask.... then DUH

euro sbd
13-10-08, 08:39 PM
basically if you have to ask.... then DUH

i asked for advice not sarcasm:roll: . its very tempting when someone offers the full amount for a car that you need to sell by the end of the month. i wasnt sure so i though ide check

L14MNP
13-10-08, 08:50 PM
He tried to buy a car from me also. He's easy to spot for next time mate.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/minute44/george.jpg
If he wires the monies via Western Union or NOCHEX you have no reason to not trust him, I would send some good faith monies first though. You don't want to lose out on this deal or upset the client.
Nigeriain naira FTW lol

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 08:57 PM
FPMSL @ liam! lol

L14MNP
13-10-08, 09:07 PM
In all seriousness, I had many of these emails when advertising cars on PH, I emailed them back in their own style and said 'I require numbers of computing mail transacting before my client is willing to release said vehicle to shipping agents'
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Also tell them the vehicle is awaiting customs clearance at another port as you have another client interested. Should he choose not to purchase, you will ship the vehicle at your expense for your new buyers consideration.
Then tell them to **** off a few emails later. Great for killing a few minutes and entertaining the child within me (not in a MJ way) lol

Dan_Coombs
13-10-08, 11:14 PM
I basically got that exact e-mail about a week or so ago for my car mate. Steer clear. :)

mowgli
13-10-08, 11:46 PM
get them to send the funds thru, & set up a new account, then see if it clears. if it does then you have loads of money

Ben
14-10-08, 12:32 AM
They been doing the rounds for years, ebay was plauged by them.

They once bought my old rusty GTE for £2k was only worth £200 wanted to pay me £20k and the guy would collect the rest of the cash when he collected the car, i asked for the cheque but it never arrived!