PDA

View Full Version : (Cav) Internal shifter - direct to gearbox ??

R1CH
13-10-08, 06:45 PM
As title, anyone fitted a Cav (type) shifter that goes direct to the gearbox, doing away with the linkage.
Be a similar set up to the (works type) Quaife shifter, but hopefully a bit cheaper !!
Pretty sure there was a car at PV that had this kind of set up (not sure if it was a Quaife one or not), someone on here ??
Just an idea at the minuet, surely it'd be possible to knock something up with a couple of UJ's and some kind of guide / bush thru the bulkhead.

Edit: Didn't 8v MK2 Astras have a similar set up ??

Cheers

mowgli
13-10-08, 06:49 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93293

R1CH
13-10-08, 06:58 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93293

I knew someone would post that !!
Already done that about 4 year ago, i now wanna do it (on another car) but get rid of the linkage.

Olly, aye i know the gears will be back to front but not to fussed about that really.
I've got 1/2 an idea about how to do it, just wanted to check if anyone else had already done it.

mowgli
13-10-08, 07:06 PM
I always thought the concept of that was to give clearance for the exhaust on a rally car (to shove it up as high as possible)

the most obvious thing would be either make a cover panel to hide it, or lower the mounting by a couple of inches so the shaft runs under the tunnel & not over, that way, it runs the right way up

the mk1 astra had a shifter rod that went straight to the shifter box with no linkage, apart from some rubber uj's that used to wear out quite quick.

R1CH
13-10-08, 07:12 PM
Aye the internal shifter (like in the link) is mainly done to give more clearance for the exhaust, it also gives a more positive feel to the shifter.
Not sure what you mean by your second paragraph ??
Not seen a Mk1 Astra set up, but sounds like a simialr set up to what i'd be wanting ... anyone any pics of a MK1 Astra set up ??

Cheers

Stuart
13-10-08, 07:20 PM
CP did the mod to Chris T's car a few years back.

you only need one UJ, you can either pay £50 for one from DT, OR simply sacrifice your half inch UJ in your socket set lol.
the Cav shifter needs the pivot moving up above the selector rod.

I believe CP has also done the mod to his own car using one of his tie bar brackets as the shifter locator lol (look in his WIP)

R1CH
13-10-08, 08:00 PM
CP - Thats he fella, just had a quick look thru his thread and managed to steal a few ideas and pics.
Only thing is wether or not i can get it to go under the steering rack (not moving it up), not fussed that the gears will be back to front (1st where 2nd is ect ...) i know that the lift up bit for reverse will have to looked at but shouldn't be much of an issue ... only thing i was wondering about was wether thered be enough side to side movement on the actual shifter to get thru all the gears on the box, does the linkage increase the side to side movement between the shifter and the box (if you know what i mean ?)

Cheers guys

MC
13-10-08, 10:47 PM
Firstly, CP's works like the quaife item. The pivot is above the rod, so reverses the motion. Gears 1-5 are in the standard position.

Secondly, yes there is enough sideways rotation.

Thirdly, you need to get the measurements right to make sure you get the lever travel to shaft travel right or you'll get a very long throw.

MC

mowgli
13-10-08, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure, but an astra mk2 is basically a facelifted mk1, so the linkage may be the same......