PDA

View Full Version : how do u get Trade insurance

C14se
13-10-08, 06:15 PM
how do u get Trade insurance can any one help me :thumb:

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 06:18 PM
Wing and a prayer?

lol i'm guessing the same way you get normal insurance. Pick up phone, dial number, (google FTW!) and see what deals you can get. HTH.

ben lee
13-10-08, 06:41 PM
its hard now need to prove ur a trader.

belly257
13-10-08, 06:42 PM

agreed, it is very hard to prove now, im a mechanic so i can get it no problem, just tell them i need it for me job

General Baxter
13-10-08, 06:44 PM
iv just googled loads come up around £1000 for me, with my png welding company lol

C14se
13-10-08, 07:00 PM
how old have you got to be

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 07:41 PM
At a guess 20+? Your 17 IIRC so you may struggle.

L33 LEG
14-10-08, 10:45 AM

i rang up last week and just said im starting to be a part time trader. said i sell around 10 cars a year and they have asked for no proof whatsoever.

have to be 23 or over tho, most want you to be 25.

L33 LEG
14-10-08, 10:47 AM
iv just googled loads come up around £1000 for me, with my png welding company lol

i got my online quote for £1260. thought it was cheap so rang them up and thats how much im paying. it starts from 2moro and my certificate and everything came last week and it all looks to be perfect, basically drive any car :wtf:

Riggy
14-10-08, 10:53 AM
^^ as long as they arnt in your name ?

L33 LEG
14-10-08, 10:59 AM
well they have to be mine. so if i buy a car and drive it home its still legal even tho it wont be registered in my name yet, it just means il get pulled over and have to prove that i can drive it, ie. show them my part of the logbook.

im not going to do what most people do and just drive anything at anytime and think that i am 100% legal.

Riggy
14-10-08, 11:05 AM
just clicked that you got it to buy and sell cars , yeah they will have to be yours then lol ,

most other ones mechanics etc have to be in someone elses name lol

L33 LEG
14-10-08, 11:14 AM
ah right Lol, ye that would be a bit silly then for me lol

Andy
14-10-08, 11:18 AM
Some companies will insure you on up to x amount of vehicles in your own name aswell as anything else.Its funny a mate of mine is allowed to drive anything apart from steam powered vehicles lol

Spudly
14-10-08, 11:28 AM
The only downside with a trade policy is that unless you ring up and add the reg to the policy it wont show as being insured and so you will find yourself being pulled over by the feds if you use it all the time so be prepared to carry your documents on you or risk having your car(s) impounded all the time as a few of my mates have nearly had happen to them!

Dod
14-10-08, 02:43 PM
Ok, iirc you need:

To be in the trade, VAT reigstered.
Have your own Premisis, weather it be owned or leased.
You have to pay Water Rates and Special Taxes on the afore mentioned Premisis
You need to work out Tax Payments, Income out going accounts etc etc etc etc etc.

Andy
14-10-08, 02:50 PM
Nope,my mates with a company that dont ask anything,or ask for proof of anything

L33 LEG
14-10-08, 03:11 PM
again nope, my cars are all at home. i have no business name or anything. just said i was a part time trader and worked full time as a shop assistant.

andy - im not allowed to drive steam vehichles aswell :(

sr - all it takes is for you to ring ur company up (or go online) and tell them the reg and it goes on the database within 24 hours

areofall
14-10-08, 10:24 PM
Tade insurance isn't worth the paper it's wrote on, trust me I've had it up until about 2 years ago. Your probably not insured to drive to your normal palce of work and not really insured for pleasure use (may state it though) I have trade plates and keep a car sales record but all trade insurance is a policy to show the cops. Wait till something happens and watch them get out of paying a claim out, it's a real grey area, just be careful.

L33 LEG
15-10-08, 01:04 AM
i am insured to drive for pleasure. but i also know that IF i come to claim (which i very much doubt it) they will try and get out of it. but i only use insurance to keep the cops happy, i never benifit from actually using the insurance

Spudly
15-10-08, 09:44 AM
I bet you get stopped all the time dont ya with trade insurance as your car doesnt come up on the database as being covered!

www.askmid.com (http://www.askmid.com) Check on here!

L33 LEG
15-10-08, 11:25 AM
no u ring them up and they put it on the database. obviously if u are just buying a car and driving it home the one time u dont ring them up and it is likely ul be pulled over, but if you have your certificate with you and the v5 ul be fine.

Lee
15-10-08, 12:23 PM
most other ones mechanics etc have to be in someone elses name lol

That cant be right, as I can do that on my normal 250 quid policy lol. If your paying for trade insurance, you should be able to drive anything, in your name or not.

Jack
15-10-08, 12:30 PM
That cant be right, as I can do that on my normal 250 quid policy lol. If your paying for trade insurance, you should be able to drive anything, in your name or not.
If you're in the motor trade though you would be paying more than £250, thats one occupation that ups the premium.

It wouldn't surprise me if the cars have to be "owned" by the business. My sister the HMRC tax goblin spends much of her time reposessing business assets, and one of the things they look out for is business insurance. If a vehicle is covered by a business/trade insurance, they consider the vehicle to be fair game lol

rednova
15-10-08, 11:53 PM
I got a quote for a traders policy - im a panel beater by trade but told them this was just as i buy and sell cars, came back about £600 to which i can have 4 cars of my own social domestic pleasure etc and drive any other car, you can also add bikes too.

they didnt ask for premises etc just ring up if i wanted cover on whatever car etc

gsiboy21
19-10-08, 12:12 AM
^^ as long as they arnt in your name ?

well that depend,s on you company as mine covers personale cars (as many as i want ) as long as none of them a worth more than 16k and costermers car up to the value of 36K and im 24 with 0 ncb and i pay £1486

Rich
19-10-08, 01:15 PM

Mechanics don't get the drive other vehicles option :( I asked last time i called my insurance, he told me i cant have it because of my occupation